Menu

What's your favorite spelling workbook?

Tiramisu

Judomom, I like the looks of your Spelling Skills workbook! Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to see a double page spread of the proofreading page on the weblink you gave. Could you give us more information? Is it phonics based? Do you have your child complete one worksheet per day? How many lessons are in each workbook?

I'm in the process of selecting new spelling materials too. I've used and liked Spelling Workout, so maybe I'll like this one better.

ACSI spelling workbook also looks interresting. I found it on Christianbook.com.

Judomom, I like the looks of your Spelling Skills workbook! Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to see a double page spread of the proofreading page on the weblink you gave. Could you give us more information? Is it phonics based? Do you have your child complete one worksheet per day? How many lessons are in each workbook?

I'm in the process of selecting new spelling materials too. I've used and liked Spelling Workout, so maybe I'll like this one better.

ACSI spelling workbook also looks interresting. I found it on Christianbook.com.

My boys complete one page a day, with a test on Friday. There are 4 pages/lesson, with 30 lessons total. After every five lessons, there is a 2 page review. The words are organized by spelling rules. In books 3 & 4, the spelling words are in print on one page and in cursive on another.

My local B&N carries these in the children's section, so I was able to look before I bought.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S). It was written specifically for students to be able to work independently, and it's challenging--not the spelling words, necessarily, which tend to be words that are actually in the children's vocabularies, but the activities.

You can get it from CBD. It's not full-color, but it does a very effective job building spelling skills based on phonics. You can see previews of it at the CBD site.

My 4 kids (9th, 7th, 3rd, and 2nd) use it independently of me and are done in about 15 minutes, on average.

It is a simple, one page a week, list of words. Here is a link for it at a customized Amazon.com store http://astore.amazon.com/comppoin-20/detail/1576907503

Here is a review from Amazon.com

This is a great resource for a list-based spelling program. There are 196 lessons that allow you to go at your own pace. The first 20 (for the second half of 1st grade) have ten words per lesson. By 3rd grade it has 20 words per lesson. The core of the book is made up of 3000 of the most highly used words (according to an American Heritage study). In addition, 100 picture nouns have been added in the early lessons in order to make reading comprehension and sentence practice more feasible.

The reason I like this resource so much is because it is simple, just one sheet covers the lesson for the week (and you have permission to copy that sheet for your learners). It also includes basic phonics and variant forms. The end of the book has lists of grammar rules and various phonetic charts. Another reason I like it is because it helps with reading...each week our kids are exposed to high frequency words that they are bound to come across in the course of their independent readings.

The only downside is that, because of the approach Dr Fry has taken, words are not grouped together by similar phonemes or morphemes. Nevertheless, this is an excellent resource and one that we use with our children.

In the interest of not sidetracking the thread, could someone who has used this please PM me on how to make it work? I tried 2nd grade with our oldest and I don't think I did things right because it seemed too easy for him but it's ever so cost-effective and I'd like to give it a second chance if I can understand how to get the most out of it.

Thanks,

Heidi

In the interest of not sidetracking the thread, could someone who has used this please PM me on how to make it work? I tried 2nd grade with our oldest and I don't think I did things right because it seemed too easy for him but it's ever so cost-effective and I'd like to give it a second chance if I can understand how to get the most out of it.

Please hijack away. I would love to know, too.

I checked these out at R & S and they are really cost-effective!:)