Menu

How is the lead law HR 4040 coming along?

I haven't been following this very closely since I'm in Canada. How does this law work? Does it restrict sellers only? Will Americans be able to purchase used books from Canadians? Will Americans be legally permitted to sell used books to non-Americans?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I've wondered about this a few times, and didn't want to start a new thread just to find out.

Lori

:iagree: Like I'd even consider getting rid of our books! Might as well ask me to give up breathing!

:iagree: Do we have a holding your breath until your turn blue smiley? ;) No how, no one is touching my personal library. I read that in the article and thought it sounded nutso. Who would even follow that law?

Ok, I asked my library about it today, and here is their reply:

/QUOTE/This is what has been communicated to us:

To all,

I just got off the phone with Kristin Murphy from ALA in Washington DC.

Good news.

At this time we do NOT need to do anything.

The ALA has a meeting with the Obama administration tomorrow to

specifically address this issue, and it appears preliminarly that this

position and opinion from Congress will be re-evaluated and that this

was not their intent. So, probably without doing anything we may be ok,

and this matter will get resolved in a "common sense" way.

If we would need to do anything, sign affidavits, etc., we would be

notified again - hopefully that will not be necessary.

For now, we are ok and do not need to do anything or contact anyone.

Thanks./QUOTE/

I guess this is good?

What is up with this from the Forbes article?

The semi-exemption for children's books--which would not extend to maps, birthday invitations, origami paper, homeschooling kits or drawing pads--

What does it mean by "homeschooling kits" I wonder?

I'm really concerned with what this law will do to consumer prices on all things used by children even if it does get major reform.

I am not sure what Forbes is meaning, but I know that my Tax return should be deposited into my account on Feb 6th...and I will be ordering the science kits for Elementary Science Zoology 2 and 3 the same day. The family from Creation Sensation is going to have to stop selling the Elementary kits because of this law! It is crazy!

What is up with this from the Forbes article?

The semi-exemption for children's books--which would not extend to maps, birthday invitations, origami paper, homeschooling kits or drawing pads--

What does it mean by "homeschooling kits" I wonder?

I'm really concerned with what this law will do to consumer prices on all things used by children even if it does get major reform.

Edited by WagsWife
typos

I have a friend in the children's apparal industry and he told me this past weekend that the latest news was that Emmanuel had put a stop on all Bush's recent executive orders and somehow they were lumping this in with that in order to give it more time to sort out. I think everyone sees what a total mess it is and that there is no way they can police it, nor ask small companies to be compliant. duh.

Margaret

I have a friend in the children's apparal industry and he told me this past weekend that the latest news was that Emmanuel had put a stop on all Bush's recent executive orders and somehow they were lumping this in with that in order to give it more time to sort out. I think everyone sees what a total mess it is and that there is no way they can police it, nor ask small companies to be compliant. duh.

Margaret

Maybe I'm clueless, but I don't know who you're talking about.

I am not sure what Forbes is meaning, but I know that my Tax return should be deposited into my account on Feb 6th...and I will be ordering the science kits for Elementary Science Zoology 2 and 3 the same day. The family from Creation Sensation is going to have to stop selling the Elementary kits because of this law! It is crazy!

Yup, I'm getting mine the same day and ordering that night.

Maybe I'm clueless, but I don't know who you're talking about.

Rahm Emanuel is Obama's Chief of Staff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7702408.stm

I'm finding info on some of the executive orders being blocked, but nothing on this specific one--guess in part it depends on whether it falls within the time frame allowable

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a7JJKjWj6lm0&refer=us

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/21/obama-faces-hurdles-reversing-bush-regulations/

Margaret

:confused: But this makes no sense since CPSIA is a law passed by Congress and signed into law by Bush. It was not an executive order.

:confused: But this makes no sense since CPSIA is a law passed by Congress and signed into law by Bush. It was not an executive order.

But the President is in charge of enforcing the laws :D

Remember all those signing statements Bush filed? basically saying "yeah, nice law, but we aren't gonna enforce it"? same kinda thing.

we got an email from Joe Barton basically saying it applied to resellers [i.e. people who bought new items to sell again] rather than resellers [people who sold used stuff like thrift stores].

I'm not exactly convinced this is "nothing to worry about," but neither am I convinced our gvt is that controlling --more just STUPID. Ya know, the opposite of PROgress and all that.

but we'll see what happens come Feb 10th.