Menu

Saxon Math - tell me I'm not crazy!

hmschoolmom22

I am seriously considering ordering Saxon Math 2 and 7/6 for my girls - we are currently using Horizons 2 and Rod & Staff 7, I'm not happy with either one...it seems I am constantly struggling with the math decision! why is math so darn difficult? we have used so many math programs(well with older dd anyway).

Saxon - what do you like? what do you dislike?

Thanks!

We are on our third book in the Saxon series and plan on sticking with it. I originally chose Saxon because it was extremely scripted. (Saxon 3) When we switched over to Saxon 54 I was shocked because the setup changed and there was less hand holding. It took us a few weeks to get use to it. I like Saxon because it is spiral and math concepts stay fresh. The higher levels speak directly to the student, so more independence. Although I still do the work with DS I am able to have him start without me if I am busy. Saxon takes baby steps when introducing new skills which also helps. The biggest thing I see lacking in Saxon are word problems. I know many people supplement with Singapore which might help this. I also feel there are too many problems in early grades. Even now we do evens or odds as long as DS isn't struggling with a concept.

I would go over to the Robinson's curriculum, even if you don't purchase that...at all, and look at how they talk about using Saxon. It's really the best way to use it, if it's your choice:-) They do math seriously, 6 days a week. Set up all the problems in the boxes on paper to really understand and teach the "example problems" and get a great grasp instead of just coasting without fully grasping the problems.

I did Saxon 25 years ago and hated it...never did well...kinda lazy and no real help. That being said, I tried it with my daughter full of optimism because she's pretty darn smart....but since she cried every day...I went with something else...

:-)

Well, I don't like Saxon at all. But if I were you, I would *definitely* give the Saxon placement tests before buying. Saxon 2 and 7/6 would likely be taking a step backwards for both kids. (Which might be okay, but the placement test will give you a better starting point.)

We love Saxon Math. We have used it since Kindergarten. We have completed through Saxon Algebra 1/2, so I have no experience with the upper grades, except to say that my sister used Saxon Math for the entire time with her son and daughter. They had such a great foundation in Math...her daughter is completing her Doctorate in Mathematics, and her son is working on his Master's Degree in Engineering. I think that Saxon Math had a lot to do with their success.

My children love doing their Math lessons. If you don't want to teach it yourself, you can get the D.I.V.E. cd for the lessons.

I highly recommend Saxon Math. I do agree that to start out you should take the placement tests.

This my my 2nd year using Saxon with my kids. My oldest has done 5/4 and is doing 6/5 now, both with the DIVE cd. My 2nd dd is doing Saxon 1 and will move into Saxon 2 in a couple of weeks. My ds has done some of Saxon K.

I think it's a very thorough math program. My oldest likes having different problems everyday, instead of a whole page of essentially the whole thing. I like that she gets consistent review of previous content. My younger dd loves all the manipulatives we use for each lesson. She's always excited to hear about what we're going to learn today.

There was a long thread recently about "Why I love Saxon" or something like that. You might try to find it. There were lots of Saxon users chiming in on that thread.

I love Saxon -- granted we have only used 1 with ds and starting to s-l-o-w-l-y start K with my dd, but it is so easy for anyone to use. I love that it is scripted, but we do not do the whole meeting everyday. Sometimes we do the reveiw on the days of the week, other days we will practice our skip counting, ... but not everything everyday like it is suggested. But that is the nice part about the curriculum, you can tailor it to fit your family's needs.

I picked Saxon for two reasons: First, I absolutely love math (seriously, I do algebra problems for fun, like some people do crossword puzzles :001_smile:). I was familiar with Saxon because it is what I used for most of my own public schooling. Second, it is fairly cheap, you can get the teacher manuals for less than $20 on amazon used (or free from paperbackswap like I did) and the workbooks are about $20. I spent about $30 on manipulatives from rainbowresource and will maybe spend $10 more next year.

Last note, I love that Saxon does the spiral approach. It very slowly introduces a new concept, then goes back to something your child has already been doing. It keeps the review process from becoming tedious. My ds would go batty if we worked on a math concept until he mastered it, just too much at once. Right now we have introduced counting by 5's using tally marks, it is a little harder than the other skip counting (2s and 10s) that has been done already. He gets a little upset when he can't remember what comes next, but because the next lesson went back to adding dimes and pennies, which was covered last week, he has not gotten too overwhelmed. We do tally pennies each morning, but it is less than 5 minutes review and I do it with him to keep him from getting too mad.

Hope that makes sense. Sometimes I just keep on jabbering... :tongue_smilie:

I am seriously considering ordering Saxon Math 2 and 7/6 for my girls - we are currently using Horizons 2 and Rod & Staff 7, I'm not happy with either one...it seems I am constantly struggling with the math decision! why is math so darn difficult? we have used so many math programs(well with older dd anyway).

Saxon - what do you like? what do you dislike?

Thanks!

My concern about Saxon is the incomplete SAT prep.

Saxon doesn't have a full year for geometry - but includes some geometry in the Algebra courses.

So in the end, not all geometry needed for the SAT is covered by Saxon in their algebra courses.

If you want to be fully prepared for the SAT you would have to go onto their Advanced Math course.

Have you considered Teaching Textbooks - no teaching from you, the CD does it all :001_smile:

My son loves that he can work completely independently.

TT fully prepares for the SAT, including SAT questions as part of their lessons.

Saxon doesn't have a full year for geometry - but includes some geometry in the Algebra courses.

So in the end, not all geometry needed for the SAT is covered by Saxon in their algebra courses.

If you want to be fully prepared for the SAT you would have to go onto their Advanced Math course.

Have you considered Teaching Textbooks - no teaching from you, the CD does it all :001_smile:

TT fully prepares for the SAT, including SAT questions as part of their lessons.

This is true -- I remember my 1 year of geometry in jr high was not Saxon, but the rest of my school years were. hhhmmmm... something to ponder in the future, thanks for the reminder.

There is a full year of geometry included in Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and about the first 50 lessons of Advanced Math, so, no, you don't have to complete Advanced Math.

Janet in WA said, "I really don't think the SAT's should even enter into the equation when choosing a math curriculum. Any decent math curriculum will teach a child the algebra and geometry found on the SAT. There's nothing so special about the kind of problems on the SAT that I'd design my child's math education around them. A little time spent with a good SAT prep progam will get the student used to the kind of thinking he'll use on the SAT -- which I'd recommend no matter what math curriculum you use. "

She also said, "Let me tell you why we chose Saxon for our sons. In college, I double-majored in biology and chemistry. When I saw Saxon, I recognized exactly the kind of math instruction I wish I'd had to prepare me for my college maths and sciences. And from what I have read over the years, I would say that a large proportion of homeschool graduates who go on to science majors in college have used Saxon. It really is a science-oriented math curriculum. I am not advising you to use Saxon -- I think you will be fine whatever program you choose -- but I am advising you not to believe all the negative things you hear about Saxon. There are just too many of us out here who have had great results with Saxon. "

I love Saxon -- granted we have only used 1 with ds and starting to s-l-o-w-l-y start K with my dd, but it is so easy for anyone to use. I love that it is scripted, but we do not do the whole meeting everyday. Sometimes we do the reveiw on the days of the week, other days we will practice our skip counting, ... but not everything everyday like it is suggested. But that is the nice part about the curriculum, you can tailor it to fit your family's needs.

I picked Saxon for two reasons: First, I absolutely love math (seriously, I do algebra problems for fun, like some people do crossword puzzles :001_smile:). I was familiar with Saxon because it is what I used for most of my own public schooling. Second, it is fairly cheap, you can get the teacher manuals for less than $20 on amazon used (or free from paperbackswap like I did) and the workbooks are about $20. I spent about $30 on manipulatives from rainbowresource and will maybe spend $10 more next year.

Last note, I love that Saxon does the spiral approach. It very slowly introduces a new concept, then goes back to something your child has already been doing. It keeps the review process from becoming tedious. My ds would go batty if we worked on a math concept until he mastered it, just too much at once. Right now we have introduced counting by 5's using tally marks, it is a little harder than the other skip counting (2s and 10s) that has been done already. He gets a little upset when he can't remember what comes next, but because the next lesson went back to adding dimes and pennies, which was covered last week, he has not gotten too overwhelmed. We do tally pennies each morning, but it is less than 5 minutes review and I do it with him to keep him from getting too mad.

Hope that makes sense. Sometimes I just keep on jabbering... :tongue_smilie:

LOL! You crack me up... I love how detailed your posts are! :D