Menu

How do you spell Mamma/Momma?

What say you?  

1. 1. What say you?

• I love Mamma
    • I love Momma

Help solving a raging debate in our house-hold.

While I suppose both are "colloquial" and perhaps equally correct (or incorrect) if you were going to transcribe a child's "narration" would you write:

1) I love Mamma

2) I love Momma

Note the Mamma/Momma in this sentence refers to the child's mother (not a nanny).

Bill (who urges you to vote "correctly" :D)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I can't help. My youngest just yesterday morning told me what a lovely mum I was. She also calls me mummy. Oldest is strictly mum.

"(Like the correlative, "papa".)

i prefer a simple Mom, altho the littler ones usually call me Mommy. my own mom preferred Mother. a friend's kids call her Ma.

if i was writing down a narrative of mama, I'd likely use the spelling abbey referenced for the reason mentioned, and if i had to choose from your two options I'd go w/ momma.

:D

what number am I?? :lol:

As further evidence for how "wrong" your two options are, I offer the track listings for Spring Awakening:

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Awakening-2006-Original-Broadway/dp/B000J3FBFC

(Now I'm going to be humming "Mama Who Bore Me" all night...)

Oh yea, well I was going to tell you about the movie I Remember Momma but it turns out it's I Remember Mama :tongue_smilie:

Doesn't matter....I win :tongue_smilie:

Bill (no other)

Well, I guess my sig line votes for me.

Fwiw, I *have* seen "Momma"--generally in the AA community. I think "Mamma" would be pronounced w/ a short a--like "Mammy" on Gone W/ the Wind, but a different ending.

GL! I know how those debates rage. So far, dh has won every pronunciation battle we've had. Apparently, all my vocab comes from books I've read, so I haven't heard the words pronounced & Dictionary.com always sides w/ him. :glare: At least he never questions my spelling. ;)