Menu

What level IEW?

Debbie in London

Hi. I was wondering if you all could help me. I've decided to take the plunge and purchase IEW TWSS and SWI but I can't decide what level I should get. Here's a little background info: I have an 11 year old 5th grader and a just turned 7 year old 1st grader. My 7 year old doesn't like to hold a pencil so I seriously doubt this would be something he would join in on next year. I think my 11 year old would be considered on grade level with regards to his reading and vocabulary. This is our first year home schooling and this year my 11 year old did Wordsmith Apprentice. I would like to start using this in April and we school all year. I can't decide if I should go for SWI-A or B. On the one hand I think he could probably handle B since it says it's for 6th graders and he's just about there, but then I think if I buy A my 7 year old will be able to use it sooner when he's ready. But I want to make sure that A will be challenging enough for my 11 year old. I would love to hear your opinions. If you have used SWI-A with a 6th grader, do you wish you had ordered the SWI-B?

Thanks so much!

Debbie

Hm. TWSS includes all grades:

http://writing-edu.com/writing/twss.php

It's spendy but it re-sells well and will be of use for many years.

FWIW, I used 2-4 with my youngers and remedial 5th and middle for my 6-7 graders.

I have not even started or purchased SWI yet. No need.

Of course, I'm combining this with LLTL as a LA component and Write With the Best and under utilized, inexpensive and terrific writing resource.

You could easily work through the TWSS alone using the lesson plans that follow along with it. This way if you download the lesson plans for 3-6th grade you will be able to go at the pace of your child. You don't have to go through all 9 units, you can just get to report writing and then you could get the SWI-B and your child would have a better understanding of whats expected from IEW.

HTH's

I use IEW. I bought and watched the TWSS. Very much enjoyed what I learned, but still needed help actually teaching. I got SWI A for my 4th and 2nd grader. Perfect for 4th grade, my 2nd grader got the concepts but I had to write everything for him. Following year we did something else. For 6th and 4th we are doing SICC A. It is a very good fit for both.

The SWI A teaches units 1,2,3,4 and 6. SICC A goes through units 1,2 & 3 quickly then teaches 4,5,6,7 & 8. I haven't used SWI B but it probably goes a little farther and a little faster than SWI A. But, you can always slow it down if need be. I think I would advise you to get SWI B. All the SWI's start at the beginning so I don't think it would be too much for your 11yo. After any SWI you proceed to SICC of the same level and then higher SICC's.

Thank you so much for all the opinions. I really appreciate it and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to tell you so. (We spent all day yesterday travelling to the States.)

Scrapbabe, I've decided to order A. I had DS read the first passage example from SWI-B and he mispronounced two of the words so I think A will be a better fit for him. Also, DH said he thought we should just get A and if it turned out he needed B, just order it as well and keep A for when our youngest needs it.

Thanks again to each of you for helping me out.

Debbie