Menu

Feel like the failure hs mom

I have a mild case of flu, but tried teaching today anyhow. We accomplished spelling, math, history, and reading. Planned on a full day. Do I consider this a half day or full? We can make it up tomorrow or the next day.

They've watched TV, played outside, video games, made an utter mess of the house, etc.--just not a lot of work. We've been doing great keeping a rigorous work load and feel like this set us back.

Would y'all count today as an academic day--full, half, or are-you-kidding-no-way?

Thanks,

I think it's a full day. If it helps, I'm sick too (the worst I've felt in years) and after getting nothing done (but asking ds to finish a book he'd been reading for school) and the kids fending for themselves the entire day yesterday, I asked a friend if she could take them today. She came and got them this morning, brought me medicine and juice and they stopped by again later just to bring me soup. I almost cried I was so grateful. (Dh is out of town this week...)

So, lol, you're doing better than I am! ;)

Feel better. I'm all for rigor and consistency in schooling, but life happens -- good things, bad things -- and sometimes they're more important than spelling or handwriting or even (gasp!) math... ;)

I would call it a full day, and I wouldn't worry about not accomplishing more. We have all been sick here. I was very ill on Friday, so we did no schoolwork. Ds and dd were sick yesterday, so we did no schoolwork. We are all recovering today, but were still kind of tired. So, we slept in this morning, and did absolutely no schoolwork again today. I let the kids watch tv and play while I tried to salvage our house and did the laundry. We'll start back tomorrow, and everything will be fine.

Guess I am a total slacker!! We start back to a regular school routine tomorrow.....the first since before Christmas. We have only done 6 days of school since our Christmas break. I have decided to not even count days this yr. We are going to simply do math on Saturdays through mid May and then start 2/3 and 3/2 weeks of alternating math and writing during the summer.

We work hard and as long as we accomplish our yearly objectives, that is all that matters.

So......absolutely count today as a school day!! Technically, ps count it a full day as long as they attend for 2 hrs. ;)

Our public schools here only have to attend for 1 1/2 hours to count it a full day!

I remember being in school, the last day was always the same. The buses dropped the high school kids at school, then the elementary school kids, then the middle school kids and once they were all back at the high school we went home. One set of buses for the whole system.

may I ask why you are keeping track? If you're in TX, there are no rules really regarding keeping track of hours.

Dh & I are are using the checks and balances system. I'm so new to hs'ing that we want to make sure I'm not permanently damaging my children due to under-education!! Think we're doing ok, but education is too precious to botch.

Thank you,