Menu

Science program that uses varied themes/units during a year?

5sweeties

We are using Apologia Astronomy, and while the kids were so very excited to learn about the planets, etc, at the beginning of the year, at this point, we feel like we are sick of astronomy! It is all I can do to get my children to sit down and do a science lesson. This is just so sad to me, as this is one subject that they all really enjoy. I'm just wondering if there is anything out there, that is less expensive than K12, that goes about it in much the same way? 6 weeks or so on one subject, and then moves on to something else? Unit study approach to science, religious or secular is fine, and it has to be under 100 dollars for a year. Thanks!

covers the range of science topics (physical, life, earth science) changing subjects every six weeks or so. You could look into Singapore Science, any of the "big" Christian publishers, like BJU, etc, or any of the secular publishers, such as Harcourt Science, McGraw Hill Science, etc.

You can generally find used secular textbooks cheap on Amazon or eBay. Rainbow Resource carries the Christian books, and I'm sure they are also available used.

For what it's worth, my DS could never take an entire school year on one science subject either. He really enjoys studying astronomy and anatomy, but neither would hold his interest for that long.

Michelle T

Look into Singapore Science. The program is structured in units.

We did the WTM rotation for four years and found too much was lost between years. I like Singapore because it dips in and out of the four WTM areas (life, earth/astronomy, chem, and physics). It also suits my two vastly different learners - one is a hands on take apart/experiment guy that enjoys doing the SS workbook and science experiments, the other is a living history reader gal that enjoys the SS workbook but goes off to read more about science in other books. HTHs!

like Biology covers Human Body, Animals, Plants, Insects, water creatures, etc. Very fun, easy, inexpensive (like $25 a book?). A/O SOS has a good program, too, so I've heard. We looked into it for the reasons you mentioned...variety. However, it is grade-leveled so you might have to "tweak" it if using it for more than 1 child, KWIM? $70 for the CD's (it's computer based) and extra if you want the experiments kits (not sure how much they are). I've heard good things about BJU Scienc (but it's the same deal is SOS w/ the grade levels). With multiple kids, I'd recommend the CKE series (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Science). I'm so torn btwn the immersion approach (one or two topics each year) to science vs. the varied topics/spiral approach. My dc didn't like spending too much time on one topic either, but I like the idea of them really "owning" what they studied. So, I"m on the fence for next year...How did you like Apologia Astronomy besides getting burned out on the topic?