Menu

Can anyone tell me about Horizons PreK?

Annie Laurie

I'm looking for some discussion on this and don't see any on the other hs boards I read at. So if anyone here has seen this in person or used this, I'd love to hear about it.

Is this program just doing workbook pages each day or are there hands-on activities also?

What do you think is a good starting age for this?

How much time do you think this would take each day?

TIA.

Is this program just doing workbook pages each day or are there hands-on activities also?

Hands-on activities also, it is deceiving since it has the workbooks- but they are just 1 small part of the program unless the parent decides to use them as the main part.

What do you think is a good starting age for this?

4 years old or as the child leads.

How much time do you think this would take each day?

It depends on how much you want to do. It is set-up to used for various situations: daycare, homeschool and classroom setting. The activities you pick to do will determine how much time.

Link to my "inside" look and how the program works

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-is-horizons-preschool.html

My son will be 4 in May, I'm using the Horizons PreK flashcards with him now informally and he's playing on Starfall.com in addition to me reading to him each day. We're also sporadically working on cutting, pasting and other preschool type activities very informally. I don't plan to start PreK with him until September.

Also when you see the cells and brain pictures at my blog, the children aren't being taught very deeply, it's just exposure.

Wow, thank you. That was very helpful. It really looks like a K program with all that is in there.

My son will be 4 in May also and really loves "school work". He has very advanced fine motor skills and can write well and knows his letter sounds and many cvc words, so I'm trying to decide between this and MFW K. Looks like he'd enjoy Horizons.

Here's why.

I am going to be teaching a first grader, reading to both dc, ministering to my husband (yeah that guy that comes home every day?) , LOL, running a house, etc. etc. etc.

I really don't want to "adapt" a program so much. Horizons is really expensive and that's a big gamble for a four year old. It's so unlikely that I will be able to utilize it.

I mean, you get up early in the morning, you do devotions with dc, you read to them, take them out for a brisk walk, have breakfast, then you have to do preschool before your older kids (or after but I do it before), and then spend a few hours schooling the older kid, then eat lunch, then finish up the last bits of formal seatwork, then go outside for lots of fresh air, then come back in and read to them for a long time about all kinds of wonderful things, then get them bathed and showered, then make dinner, (oh by this time you must be fresh and happy for your dh, whose been out in the world all day so you could be doing this at all) and then get them brushed pottied, pray with them (and mean it) and get them to bed, all the while of course relying on the strength of the Lord...

But I just felt it was unwise to add something in here more than was necessary. So right now we are back to either LIttle Hands to Heaven or CHC day by day where everything is open and go. Six pages for one day of preschool is not worth my time to sit down and highlight.

I know because I used other AOP products this year that had three pages per subject per day, and you could pick and choose. But when something is geared towards classroom as its main target it's just *different.* It doesn't have that ease and flow that FIAR or CHC have (and I've used both of those even though they're very different from each other.)

....In the end I sadly put that box back on the shelf (figuratively) and joyfully turned my prayer towards LHTH or CHC preschool. I want to bless my dd by getting something made just for us.

:o)

He just turned 4 in January.

Here is the scope & sequence: http://www.aop.com/horizons/samples/SS_Horizons.pdf

It is very easy to adapt this program. For example in the teachers manual portion of lesson 1 is six pages long! We school secularly, so we omit the bible portion. For "social studies" we discussed "a father", talked about things ds likes to do with his daddy, and he used watercolors to paint a picture of daddy. We didn't purchase the multimedia packet, so those portions we skip. Together we sang "Three Little Ducks". He learned Aa through the flashcard, tracing the letter with his finger, looking at the pictures of A words on the worksheet, finding the A's on the page, I also threw in the phonograms sounds /a/, /A/, /ah/ since I use SWR later, and we sang the ABC song. He recognizes his first name, at this point you are to write it on their worksheet for them. We went over the number 1, hand me one of this, the #1 flashcard, and a math worksheet that focused on one to one relationship (tracing) while sneaking in strokes needed for writing. He knew the colors red, green, and blue that were to be introduced, so I had him spy things that were each color. And for PE he learned about "self space". There were more suggestions, this is simply what I pulled out to do with him.

Most of the Science is intertwined with the bible lessons. I'm going to skip most of that for Pre-K, he sits in on his brother's science and we read plenty of books that introduce those concepts.

The Social Studies is sometimes tied into the bible, but usually I'm able to make a secular theme out of it.

There is not a lot of arts & crafts, today it said to draw a picture, I decided to have him use water colors instead of drawing. I also really like the book scribble art for Pre-K/K and will add those ideas when I can.

There is a 4 page book list at the front, but they aren't directly tied into the lessons, it just says "read a book together".

My son LOVES this!

I really like the PE activities, it has many cute "songs" and games like they make a triangle out of craft sticks, then learn:

Timmy Triangle

I am a triangle.

Timmy's my name.

I have three sides.

I play a little game.

I pretend to stand upon my head.

I lay on my side.

I lay on my bed. (turn to 3rd side)

Some people don't see the difference in me.

They just see three sides; one, two, and three.

They make a "counting train" to learn to count and each train car they color a different color, you could also take this a step further and put a different shape on each.

There is also a template to make upper and lower case alphabet puzzles, I laminated mine, these are each stroke needed to make the letter and they put them together. Kind of like the HWOT wood pieces, but this does lower case as well.

As far as the "resource packet", I pulled out the flashcards for letters, numbers, shapes, and colors, the train template, the puzzle template, and the penny counting sheet for Pre-K. I set aside the telling time, seasons, and months for K, the rest I tossed. Yeast cells for pre-k is a bit much IMO.

As far as when, if they are interested in doing "school" take advantage of it! This program assumes they have no knowledge of colors, shapes, numbers, and letters, but can easily be taken up a level for those who do.

I was planning on starting next year, but ds was so excited to see it when it arrived. I decided to start him and see how he does, so far it's a great fit, if it gets to be too challenging or he loses interest, we'll back off.

I hope this helps. - Michele

What a great review, thanks!

Here's why.

I am going to be teaching a first grader, reading to both dc, ministering to my husband (yeah that guy that comes home every day?) , LOL, running a house, etc. etc. etc.

I really don't want to "adapt" a program so much. Horizons is really expensive and that's a big gamble for a four year old. It's so unlikely that I will be able to utilize it.

I mean, you get up early in the morning, you do devotions with dc, you read to them, take them out for a brisk walk, have breakfast, then you have to do preschool before your older kids (or after but I do it before), and then spend a few hours schooling the older kid, then eat lunch, then finish up the last bits of formal seatwork, then go outside for lots of fresh air, then come back in and read to them for a long time about all kinds of wonderful things, then get them bathed and showered, then make dinner, (oh by this time you must be fresh and happy for your dh, whose been out in the world all day so you could be doing this at all) and then get them brushed pottied, pray with them (and mean it) and get them to bed, all the while of course relying on the strength of the Lord...

But I just felt it was unwise to add something in here more than was necessary. So right now we are back to either LIttle Hands to Heaven or CHC day by day where everything is open and go. Six pages for one day of preschool is not worth my time to sit down and highlight.

I know because I used other AOP products this year that had three pages per subject per day, and you could pick and choose. But when something is geared towards classroom as its main target it's just *different.* It doesn't have that ease and flow that FIAR or CHC have (and I've used both of those even though they're very different from each other.)

....In the end I sadly put that box back on the shelf (figuratively) and joyfully turned my prayer towards LHTH or CHC preschool. I want to bless my dd by getting something made just for us.

:o)

Thanks for offering another viewpoint, I appreciate it!

I actually am a relaxed hser and am in the better late than early camp. (Or that's how it worked with my other kids), but my 3 3/4 yr old is a new experience for me. He asks me to do "school" everyday, and it's not his way of saying he needs attention as he does get a good bit of one on one reading and cuddling time and we play board games and puzzles everyday, he just loves writing and reading and doing "school work" and thrives on doing what the big kids do. He has extremely advanced fine motor skills and reading skills. I know that doesn't mean he needs to do anything formal, but I think he'd be very happy to. I would wait until he had at least turned 4 and never push if he changed his mind. But you do have a very good point, I have quite enough to do with the other kids and he likes to sit in on their school anyway.

(I tend to be a curriculum junkie:o, trying to break that, so I'll have to give this some more thought.)

Frankly, our PreK/K is based on 3 things- handwriting, reading, and math. That's it, no extras. Right now, we are working through a Everything for Preschool workbook I bought at Walmart for under $4.00.