Menu

Comments about WP AC1

PeterPan

Just in case anyone is curious or considering Winter Promise American Crossing 1, I've been posting about our experiences on the WP forum. So far we're LOVING it. It has totally changed our history dynamic and is a HUGE hit here! I would say it's spot-on for that 4th-6th gr age-range it's targeted at, and it's filling a huge gap we've had with people looking for 4th gr history. I had owned the TT cd's for a year and just couldn't wrap my brain around how to implement them. This is making it easy for me! I love how they've chunked it into do-able daily amounts. That's what I needed!

Now if only Amy could get the other TT cd's ready for them to use for AC2. I don't know what they're planning otherwise...

• 2 weeks later...
Just in case anyone is curious or considering Winter Promise American Crossing 1, I've been posting about our experiences on the WP forum. So far we're LOVING it. It has totally changed our history dynamic and is a HUGE hit here! I would say it's spot-on for that 4th-6th gr age-range it's targeted at, and it's filling a huge gap we've had with people looking for 4th gr history. I had owned the TT cd's for a year and just couldn't wrap my brain around how to implement them. This is making it easy for me! I love how they've chunked it into do-able daily amounts. That's what I needed!

Now if only Amy could get the other TT cd's ready for them to use for AC2. I don't know what they're planning otherwise...

And how many activities are scheduled each week? Is there some reading and hands-on activity work each day, or once a week, or what? I'm having a hard time picturing it. Also, The TT projects look beautiful, but the sheer amount looks overwhelming!!! I'd be glad to do one project a week if that! It looks nice but too much. What are your thoughts? What is it actually like in practice, on a daily basis?

Also, could I use the TT part and the Picture Study seperately from the rest of the program? I know I can purchase it seperately, but will it work to try to use it with a different book or program?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,

Sherri in MI

Sherri, if you want to see samples of the WP AC ig, just go to their website. It schedules TT for you. TT has its own schedule (a lesson a day), if you want to use that. WP drops some of the activities, making it more do-able to keep the pace, and schedules in your read alouds and whatnot. We're enjoying it a lot. What it works out to for us is that I read aloud while she works on the project for the day. I bought the preprinted pages (HIGHLY recommend), put them into pockets for each week along with the IG pages, so it's all ready to go. I mean there is NO prep on my part, totally easy to implement. I have a baby, so I'm not exactly prepping these days! I just open my IG notebook, pull out the pages for the day, and she works on them while I read. Easy, peasy.

We like to spend a good chunk of time on history each day, and I don't really keep track. I'm guessing we're spending about 45 minutes daily, but I don't really keep track. We do it before lunch, so if things run over, I don't notice.

They have a week sample from the IG on the WP website, and there's another week pictured in their catalog. By looking at those two weeks, I got a pretty good feel for it, which helped me decide. Another spine? I'm trying to understand what you mean there. TT has text as well as activities, and that text becomes the spine for WP AC, along with some informational books. I'm trying to fathom if you'd need another spine. I really don't know if you'd have time. My dd is a real history nut, so I finally put together a book basket for her Friday. She'll read through that, then I'll give her more books. That pile of books approach is what we've done for years with VP, and it's always worked well for us. I think it would fill in any holes you perceived. Are you saying you don't want to read the TT text? The projects make a whole lot more sense if you're also reading the text.

The nice thing about using WP AC to implement TT is it's broken up into do-able daily amounts. If *I* can get it done with a baby in tow, you can. (assuming you have that much time as a chunk of your day to give) It's made it totally no-brainer, pleasant, and easy for me to implement. For someone who wants to spend that much time on history daily, it's AWESOME. You really don't need to add a thing.

I'm glad this is working so well for you - I'm planning on using AC1 next year with my DS9. I'm wondering if you think adding in The American Story (which I have from AS2) would be worth adding in, or would that be overkill? It's just that I heard the text in the Time Travelers lessons can be a little dry.

I was looking at the Winter Promise catalog, and is made me wish I had bought American Crossing I. But ee've already started American History using Abeka, and some readers and read-alouds from Sonlight, but I would like to add some activities and the TT activities look so nice! I think it wouldn't make much sense for me to get the full curriculum at this point, since we're already through the writing of the Constitution. But I was thinking of adding some activities and the picture study.

Thanks for answering.

Blessings,

Sherri

Well just my take from looking at The American Story in the bookstore, it seems too young for a 9 yo. The DK encyclopedia from the initial edition of AS1/2 would be fine, but The American Story is awfully simplistic. Of course my dd has also done quite a bit of american. I'm needing to take her to the next level, letting her ask why and make connections. As far as TT being dry, I wouldn't say that. It needs an editor in some spots, and some of the content (SOME, not a ton) is detailed in ways that becomes disinteresting). I need to keep going in it a while before I'll know for sure. Obviously the more interesting the topic, the more interesting the text is. It's NOT poorly written. If you really don't like it, all you'd have to do is sub in a SOTW chapter reading for it, no biggee. I do wonder how our interest will be held by the text over the next couple weeks, as we read bios of explorers. If we get bored with it, I'll feel free to toss, sub SOTW, or whatever. I'm writing about how it goes on the WP forum, so we'll see! And I think anything that happens in the Explorers material could be totally different with the next cd. It looks to me like the activities get better and better with each one, so I'm guessing the text does too.

You don't need another spine on top of WP AC, but a book basket is nice.

Sherri, in that case, your plan of just adding on TT to your studies sounds good! I have abeka4 and like it, just needed a bit more hand-holding with the baby. On the picture study, you should email me and I'll send you the stuff I made. I'm using Discovering Great American Artists as a spine. I saved pics found online for a couple works from each artists, printed them at walgreens ($7 total), and we study them. Each new pic she puts into an album and labels after we discuss. At the end of the week we do the corresponding project. Total easy, very fun.