Menu

Record keeping

mo2

Well we are only in our first year of compulsary attendance age (7 in CO).

I keep track on the same spreadsheet in excel that I use for daily lesson planning.

However, in CO, we only have to keep track of days (174 days, 4 hours each) and nothing has to be submitted, other than an intent to homeschool agreeing to school for 172/174 days for 4 hours, and results from standardized tests every two years.

I don't have to record or keep anything for the state, but I use Homeschool Tracker Plus for my own sanity. (This is a huge plug for the Plus version. Do not judge the program based on the free version. I hated the free version, but I really like the paid version, and I don't use half of the features available.)

I have Edu-Track and hate, hate, hate it. I keep trying to use it and then quit. It is way too much work to add in a year's worth of planning. If you try to make even the smallest changes to the play, you run the risk of messing up everything if you don't do it exactly right. The backing up feature is really easy and essential so that when you destroy all of your entries and don't want to spend the nex 3-4 hours fixing it, you can back up to the place you started from. I DON'T recommend it.

You probably want to check your state's requirements (if there are any).

I do things pretty simply. I keep a handwritten log of what we do each day and make notes throughout the year in a word processing document of the full titles of all the books we read and curricula we use and field trips we make and educational DVDs we watch and so on.

In Florida, we are required to have the kids evaluated each year. One of the options is to meet with a certified teacher, which is what we usually do. So, at the end of each year, I neaten up all my notes and put those print-outs, along with samples of the student's work, into a portfolio.

The teacher looks over those materials with the child and signs the form that says he/she is progressing appropriately. I make a copy of that form before I send the original off to the county and stick it in the portfolio, too. Then it all goes up on a shelf in our schoolroom.

It's a simple system, but it's always worked just fine for us.

I use Edu-Track and like it. I have all my lessons entered for the rest of the year. My kids love the weekly assignment sheets so they can check off what the have finished. My kids also like the report cards.

I haven't used anything else so I can't really compare it to other software.

I do agree though that it is a pain to move lessons when your plans change.

I recently bought the Plus version of Homeschool Tracker and after I watched a couple short training videos on the website, I went off on my own...I can't believe how fast and EASY it was to do my lesson planning. I have a few things that are used over multiple years and I was very impressed with the copy feature of the program, which (for those who don't know) lets you make consecutive lessons with a click of the mouse. I am so glad I bought it!