Menu

Making your own copywork - am I a Karenciavo wannabe???

momee

I know there's a software program out there that allows making your own copysheets (what is the name of that anyway?) but the only one I've seen is for purchase only.

Is there anything like that for free? I wouldn't think Karen would be sharing something not shareable, so I'm just askin. Althought it would be fun to have it together like Karen, I don't REALLY "wannabe" her ;).

Here's what I'm referring to since I am a terrible communicator on these boards

http://homepage.mac.com/rivendellpress/.Public/AndrewJackson.pdf

thanks

I don't REALLY "wannabe" her ;).

You're right about that. :lol:

I use Quark, which is a fancy-schmancy design program I own because my dh owns an AD agency. I drew the lines myself (well, Quark drew the lines, I moved the cursor) and I try to find clip art that is in the public domain. I don't know what I'll do next year when I get passed 1923. :001_unsure: I come up with the words myself too (don't they just sparkle) so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

I know there's a software program out there that allows making your own copysheets (what is the name of that anyway?) but the only one I've seen is for purchase only.

thanks

It takes some playing and patience, but we've used: http://www.writingwizard.longcountdown.com/handwriting_practice_worksheet_maker.html

It does have limited options, but may work for you.

Edit: Sorry, just saw the link you had. This doesn't look like what you need, but may be useful to someone else.

Karena

Is there anything like that for free? I wouldn't think Karen would be sharing something not shareable, so I'm just askin. Althought it would be fun to have it together like Karen, I don't REALLY "wannabe" her ;).

Here's what I'm referring to since I am a terrible communicator on these boards

http://homepage.mac.com/rivendellpress/.Public/AndrewJackson.pdf

thanks

If you are looking for a way to make the solid/dashed lines for beginning writers, you can try a couple of these free fonts from DaFont.com.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=602&nb_ppp=50&classt=alpha

Scroll down and look for "Penmanship Print" and "School Script Dashed." Don't worry about whether you like the printing or script writing -- the point is, it gives you the ability to create a row of plain "handwriting" (solid/dashed) lines. On the Penmanship Print font, I think all you have to do is hit the space bar, and it enters a section of blank line. Just hit the space bar across the page to create a whole row. Change the font size to make it as big as you need it.

All you really need, then, is Microsoft Word or something similar. With Word, you can insert a graphic (search Google Images for public domain images), type the words/phrases to copy in a basic font (whatever you have on your computer), then use the "penmanship" font to create the handwriting lines. You can even add a border around the page.

Once you have created one of those copy sheets, you can just open it, replace the image and the words for the next copy sheet that you want to make, and voila.

(As simple as that is, I confess that I get all obssessive about our notebooking pages, etc., and use Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator to make ours. I usually spend waaaaay too much time creating them.)

HTH (and that I correctly understood what you were looking for!) :001_smile:

If you are looking for a way to make the solid/dashed lines for beginning writers, you can try a couple of these free fonts from DaFont.com.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=602&nb_ppp=50&classt=alpha

Scroll down and look for "Penmanship Print" and "School Script Dashed." Don't worry about whether you like the printing or script writing -- the point is, it gives you the ability to create a row of plain "handwriting" (solid/dashed) lines. On the Penmanship Print font, I think all you have to do is hit the space bar, and it enters a section of blank line. Just hit the space bar across the page to create a whole row. Change the font size to make it as big as you need it.

All you really need, then, is Microsoft Word or something similar. With Word, you can insert a graphic (search Google Images for public domain images), type the words/phrases to copy in a basic font (whatever you have on your computer), then use the "penmanship" font to create the handwriting lines. You can even add a border around the page.

Once you have created one of those copy sheets, you can just open it, replace the image and the words for the next copy sheet that you want to make, and voila.

(As simple as that is, I confess that I get all obssessive about our notebooking pages, etc., and use Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator to make ours. I usually spend waaaaay too much time creating them.)

HTH (and that I correctly understood what you were looking for!) :001_smile:

This is exactly what I do. I use primer print to create the lines. I have a skeleton sheet that I saved and I just add a picture and the text I want.

You can download the fonts to use in your own word proccessor.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/freefonts/tp/Free_Handwriting_School_Fonts.htm

Or you could try this online site.

http://www.worksheetworks.com/

I didn't know you could get some of these for free.:tongue_smilie: I bought this http://www.educationalfontware.com/ I am happy with it. It uses your word processor. I am able to make copywork pages and/or tracing pages.

I write out the copy work each day for my ds. It's a zen time of day which is actually a form of meditation, because to write near-perfect cursive, I have to do it very slowly. The3/8" line spaceing also adds to the difficulty because I write smaller for myself. I'm finding it's a 5-10 minute period of each day that I look forward to because I have to. slow. down..... I also love, absolutely love, the selections we pick. From Kipling and Pyle to Sutcliffe, we've written some great excerpts! Today, we finished our first composition notebook of the year, and we both read over the selections and had great fun with that. My son also enjoyed looking at how his handwriting is progressing. For those moms that feel stressed during the day, I recommend writing your own copy work. You'll feel your blood pressure slowly wane..........

I write out the copy work each day for my ds.

From Kipling and Pyle to Sutcliffe, we've written some great excerpts!

LOL. I've started doing that since my ds zipped through his HWT book for this year. Except our selections have been more along the lines of Garfield (when I can find a complete sentence), Get Fuzzy, and Harry Potter. :tongue_smilie: (Ds loves it -- as much as he can love copywork....)

Thank you all so much for your replies. I will check into more of the options but for now, I got something that works.

I ended up messing with Word and making my own. The format looks like the link in the op. If anyone wants a copy, just pm me with your email addy.