Menu

If you have used the Chalkdust SAT Review..

My son used the Chalkdust SAT Math review for about 3 weeks prior to taking the PSAT. He found it a great review and very helpful.

The instruction is very clear, and my son found it worthwhile to review all the math topics he would encounter in a short period of time before taking the test.

He liked the instructor, Dana Mosely, so much that we have switched to Chalkdust for PreCalc & Calc, and my son really liked/likes those courses very much.

He also liked the book Rocket Review Revolution for its SAT strategies.

HTH,

Brenda

Both of my older kids used Chalkdust SAT Math Review. I bought it after dd took the SAT for the first time and had not so great (IMO) math scores. I knew she could do better. She spent about 3 weeks with it, really concentrating on just that. In her second attempt at the SAT, her score went up 100 points. When she was accepted to college, she got a good scholarship ($26,000). My investment of $150 was very well spent!

Then ds entered the SAT phase. I had him work through the discs before he took it the first time. He scored very well, reviewed the discs and took it the second time--scored even better. He's been accepted to a pharmacy program and was awarded a very nice scholarship as well. (So now my investment was even better!)

It really does do the job advertised--prepare kids for the SAT math section.

You might check at your local library--our local library has a copy.

We used the SAT Math Review after our twins' June SAT math scores were not as high as we had thought they would be. When they retook the SAT in November one of them brought his score up 90 points and the other 40 points.

There were other factors involved. For the June test, they traveled to a school two and a half hours away and stayed in a really awful hotel in which they got no sleep the night before the test. The November test was taken in the local school in a familiar environment after a good night's sleep. Also, a few days before the June test, I handed them both brand new calculators. They were totally unfamiliar with them and weren't adept at using them.

Still, they would both say the SAT Math Review played a big part in their improved scores and would highly recommend it.

ETA: After reading Sandy's response, I am reminded to mention that our sons were both given four year scholarships to cover half their tuition at the school of their choice based on their higher scores. So, we also received a great return on the investment (about $64,000, I think, if you count both of them).

Edited by Luann in ID

Did they do math on top of this? We plan to do Chalkdust Geometry for 9th grade next year. I plan to have him take the PSAT for practice in the fall of his 10th grade year. So should he work through it in the summer? All throughout 9th grade? Just spend September doing it before the test as math. ( He is doint TT Algebra II now, but I was going to have him do a more rigorous Alg. II course his 10th grade year.)

Christine

Did they do math on top of this? We plan to do Chalkdust Geometry for 9th grade next year. I plan to have him take the PSAT for practice in the fall of his 10th grade year. So should he work through it in the summer? All throughout 9th grade? Just spend September doing it before the test as math. ( He is doint TT Algebra II now, but I was going to have him do a more rigorous Alg. II course his 10th grade year.)

Christine

I would say that it depends a bit on your child. Mine does best reviewing all the info needed for the test just prior to the test. I had him spend the 3 - 4 weeks prior to the PSAT just using the CD SAT Math Review, watching the DVD segments and then doing the related practice problems out of the practice SAT book that came with it.

He started the school year with his regular math curriculum, took a month off to work through CD SAT Math, and then resumed his regular math program. He finished math a bit late that year, but that was the sacrifice needed to get the proper review at the proper time.

I do think these videos would be helpful in preparing for the ACT math as well. I'd just use a practice ACT math book after viewing the DVDs. The only caveat is that the ACT includes a few higher math (trig) problems that are not on the SAT, so she would have to review for those separately.

HTH,

Brenda