Menu

special ed curriculums?

Do any of you use curriculums specifically made for special ed classes? I've recently started a few, and looking into others, and they seem to be more suitable for DS than other things I've tried.

I've been using Mastering Math from Steck-Vaughn. I just purchased Earth and Space Science from Saddleback Educational. Another company that looks to have very interesting curriculum is PCI Educational. They have a special ed grammar program that looks interesting. All three of these companies have catalogs you can request through their websites. Google their names. Of course, there is also Remedia, but I've found their products to be too dry and workbooky for DS.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else is trying special ed curriculum with success, and if so, what you are using.

I seldom ever buy without really looking through something, and it's next to impossible unless you know a teacher who happens to use them at school. I usually modify regular curriculum, meaning going slower and more repitition. So, I just print out extra worksheets, make or buy manipulatives. I just feel like for our needs, modification works almost as well. There are a few exceptions possibly. But, I haven't homeschooled our son DS, though we always afterschool and school all summer at home. He will be home FT next fall.

The SRA direct instruction programs are especially good for special needs children. I used Funnix, which is one of their direct instruction reading programs and am currently using Language for Writing with my son. These programs are also great for kids who do not have special needs, but particularly wonderful for those that do. There has been a ton of research on the success of the direct instruction programs.

To me, there are 2 drawbacks to using them. One is that they are fairly time-intensive. For example, Language for Writing takes a full hour each day to complete. I spend a half hour with my son and then he does independent work for a half hour. The second drawback is the expense. If you buy directly from SRA, they are very expensive. However, if you are patient, you may be able to find the books at a much reduced price from ebay or elsewhere.

Next year, I am going to be adding in a direct instruction spelling program and most likely, math. For more information, go to http://www.sraonline.com or http://www.funnix.com for reading programs targeted at parents. Also, Stacy in NJ is using some direct instruction programs. She's the one that made me aware that SRA offers programs other than Funnix.

Lisa

Lisa, My guy just finished level C of Connecting Math Concepts. I have the all the materials (teachers presentation books, workbook, text, answer key). If you're interested in buying e-mail me. :) stacyg@ patmedia.net

Stacy -

I definitely want to buy this from you. I'm getting ready to run out the door, but will e-mail you later this afternoon.

Thanks!

Lisa