Menu

Oil Cleansing method and water only for facial cleansing??

I have. I originally switched over to use it as my daily cleansing regimen. For me, it took too long to do every day, so I just use the oil occasionally.

As far as tips go... You need to figure out which oil or combination works best for your skin type. Castor oil can be very drying; it's usually mixed with olive or almond oil, if used at all. Don't skimp on the massaging - it's what works the stuff out of the pores.

Using the hottest water you can helps dissolve and rinse everything away, as does scrubbing with the cloth. There should be no oily feeling when you're finished.

I would not recommend doing this in the shower* because it's really difficult to get all the oil and gunk off, which will lead to breakouts. You will want to pay attention to the hair line, too, since that can be overlooked and end up with breakouts, too.

I rarely needed moisturizer. A dab of olive or almond oil can be useful, though, if you find you do.

*I did find that using oil cleansing, either in the manner of face cleansing or using oil/salt scrub, for my body was very beneficial for getting rid of the rough, dry skin areas on the back of my arms and legs. I did this in the show with no untoward effects.

I used an olive oil/castor oil combo last night and I was afraid I'd be really oily this morning. But, my skin is soft and not oily! It *did* take a bit of time last night, but I did it while watching TV. :) So, we'll see how it goes. I've been using MyChelle products which aren't exactly cheap. We've recently had a pay decrease so I'm excited to try something that may work and be cheaper. :)

Thanks for your tips!

Sure! You probably hit the right combination - if you'd been heavy on the castor oil, your skin would have felt tight after it dried, and you probably would have felt oily this morning.

If you find you need to exfoliate, a little fine salt mixed with the oil works very nicely.

Well, I've only done this 2 nights now, so I'm not an expert. I used 25% castor oil and 75% EVOO. Put a bit of the mixture in your palm, rub your hands together to warm the oil. Then massage the oil into your face (it's important to massage it in), after massaging get a wash cloth with very warm water, wring it out and drape over your face. This is a mini-facial, steaming your pores open. Then, using the wash cloth massage again. Rinse your washcloth thoroughly and repeat. This time wipe all of the oil off of your face. Wa-lah! That's it!

If you google oil cleansing method you'll get tons of hits and much better explanation than I'm giving. So far my skin is very soft and not greasy. I have oily, break out prone skin. I'm doing the oil cleanse in the evening and just washing with water and a washcloth in the morning. I didn't even put moisturizer on this morning!

If this works it would be a big money saver for me! And, natural to boot!

• 2 weeks later...
Ummm, isn't that sticky???? I'm picturing myself sticking to everything in sight, getting it in my hair, and on and on. :) How does it work?

Not sticky at all. I keep a small tub of it in the shower and just scoop some out and use it. The steamy air in the shower keeps it soft.