Menu

How long did your Honda Odyssey last?

I've got a 2003 Honda Odyssey with almost 95,000 miles on it. We're debating replacing it this year or trying to hold on until my oldest could sit in the front seat in about 2 years. I'd really like to be able to drive a smaller car. My van is in good shape and hasn't given us any problems. Does anyone have an odyssey with 130K miles on it? Has it given you any trouble?

I'm not sure I understand why you'd consider getting rid of an excellent vehicle, lol. It's a Honda. Ignore the mileage.

My parents just gave my son their first Lexus...it has over 130,000 miles on it and is 13 years old. Still looks and runs like new.

Ria

I'm not sure I understand why you'd consider getting rid of an excellent vehicle, lol. It's a Honda. Ignore the mileage.

Ria

Because I HAVE to drive more than 30 miles a day to take my oldest to school and back. Breaking down with 2 autistic kids and a 5 yo is my worst fear and I don't want to run that risk. I like my van a lot and it hasn't given me any trouble, but even a bit of trouble would be very bad.

I've got a 2003 Honda Odyssey with almost 95,000 miles on it. We're debating replacing it this year or trying to hold on until my oldest could sit in the front seat in about 2 years. I'd really like to be able to drive a smaller car. My van is in good shape and hasn't given us any problems. Does anyone have an odyssey with 130K miles on it? Has it given you any trouble?

I've been thinking about downsizing my 2003 Odyssey lately. I know what you mean about driving a smaller car!

I've decided to keep my Odyssey, because it's so useful- I can haul a bunch of kids around or take out the seats and haul plywood. I am going to get my older dd a smaller car for getting her DL, though, so I will have a small car option.

We also have a 2003 Oddessy, and it has 85,000 miles on it. There is nothing wrong with it so it will live with us for many years to come. We know one family that has one that is 9 years old (I think), and other than the air conditioner going out it has been fine. We plan to drive ours until it starts costing more to repair than a new one would cost, but that is just us.

Because I HAVE to drive more than 30 miles a day to take my oldest to school and back. Breaking down with 2 autistic kids and a 5 yo is my worst fear and I don't want to run that risk. I like my van a lot and it hasn't given me any trouble, but even a bit of trouble would be very bad.

I think you are safe. Really. It's a Honda. You take it in for inspection each year, right? Your mechanic would tell you if something looked bad. If you are really concerned, find a good mechanic and have him really look it over.

Ria

My sister does about the same mileage each day. She hasn't had any major problems, but I know how terrible it would be to break down with kids.

You know what I notice about cars with reputations for be very reliable? (I'm thinking Honda and Toyota) If you ask around, you'll get ten or fifteen people with no major problems and then the 16th person got a dud. Then twenty more people who rave about reliability, followed by another person who is kicking his and screaming.

That's what I hear.

If you had a Dodge Caravan, I would suggest you sell it. But a Honda I think you can have confidence in, as long as you keep up on maintenance.

I have a 2001 Odyssey w/around 110,000 miles on it. They'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!! Really, I love it for its reliability. It is very dependable. I've never been stranded, and I've had very little (if any) other than rountine maintenance done on it. Just don't park it behind your brother-in-law's Tahoe when he's late to his daughter's high school graduation! You'll end up at the body shop real soon.

The 2001 model has had transmission issues and Toyota extended the warranty. Even knowing that a new (rebuilt) transmission might be a future expense for us, we're still going to keep it until it's no longer financially feasible.

Chelle

1995 Honda Odyssey with 220,000 miles on it. Still going strong. It's our only vehicle and dh uses it every day to drive to his guitar students' homes.

1995 Honda Odyssey with 220,000 miles on it. Still going strong. It's our only vehicle and dh uses it every day to drive to his guitar students' homes.

I love hearing that!! We might be able to keep ours until we can pay cash for another Odyssey! Thank you for sharing that! We love this van!

I have an 2005 with 79,000 on it. It will probably be the last vehicle i ever get......

The mileage is down - i bet i didn't drive over 10,000 miles in the last year.

I could be very tempted to trade it in for a Civic hybrid though, but not till my family is just me and the girls in a few months. I probably won't - i'd have to pay money on the trade... money i don't have.

Anyway, i'd have no problems keeping it with the regular maintenance you have been doing.

We have a 2000 Odyssey with over 140,000 miles on it and no major problems. The only thing we've had is in the past year our check engine light has been off and on--some oxygen sensor thing. Ours is paid off, so we're planning on keeping it for the long haul. I fully expect it to get at least another 100,000 miles. It's a great van!

I love it! It is actually the smaller version minivan before they increased the body size. It's my favorite car to drive. I'm 5'2" and it fits me. The only downside is that sometimes parts are hard to find - such as when I needed a new visor.

We do regular maintenance and haven't had any major problems.

we maintain our vehicles until the cost of maintenance exceeds the cost of a car payment. With a van that can take a long time. Even an expensive repair is cheaper than a year of car payments. I drive a 99 Caravan and haven't had a major break down.

Do you have a mechanic you can trust? If I was concerned, I'd take the vehicle in every 4-6 months as a little extra insurance. Additionally, do you have AAA. Normally, with a breakdown AAA can take 2 hours to provide a tow. If you call in and tell them you have kids they will get a tow to you in less than 30 minutes. I had to do this to get a tire changed once. (I know how to change a tire, but 3 changes are free a year and they do it faster with a better jack than I can).

We have an original 1995 Honda Odyssey. We bought it 3 years ago and love it, love it, love it. (And loved the $5K price!) We've had a few repairs to do - maybe $2K total, but it sure was a good deal even with that. Low insurance costs and everything. Keep it!!!! It should serve you well for a long time to come. And when you don't want it any more, call us. :lol: