Menu

Attn Runners: Do you think that elliptical training is good for traning to run?

I'm doing couch to 5k (on week 2), but I also go to the gym. While at the gym I do 40 minutes on the elliptical machine and in my mind I'm counting this toward training. Do you think the elliptical machine is good for training or not? My goals are to run a 5K this fall and the Walt Disney World 1/2 marathon January 9, 2010 (my 45th birthday :))

And it's great on your joints for the lack of impact, but I don't think I'd do a whole lot of your training on it. I find that running outside is much harder after a lot of time on inside machines. This is true even for treadmill running for me.

That being said, since you are just starting, I think you are fine. I would not count elliptical time as training time for the 1/2 marathon. I would count it as cross-training time. BTW, you will enjoy the 1/2 at Disney. I ran the full last year and although I can not say it was fun, it is something I want to do again sometime!

BTW, you will enjoy the 1/2 at Disney. I ran the full last year and although I can not say it was fun, it is something I want to do again sometime!

Thanks. I have a friend who ran the 1/2 and full in the same year. She got a Donald medal for the 1/2, a Mickey medal for the full, and a Goofy medal for doing both. laughing-laughing2.gif

And it's great on your joints for the lack of impact, but I don't think I'd do a whole lot of your training on it. I find that running outside is much harder after a lot of time on inside machines. This is true even for treadmill running for me.

That being said, since you are just starting, I think you are fine. I would not count elliptical time as training time for the 1/2 marathon. I would count it as cross-training time.

My dad is a world class marathon runner (in his age group, he is in the top 5 long distance runners in the country) and he would agree with the above statements. I've run several 5ks as well and I can tell you there is a big difference from running on a treadmill to actual road racing, but it's a good start. I'm recovering from an injury and have been using the treadmill to build my strength back up, but I wouldn't consider it training.

Good luck, Karen. My father speaks fondly of the runner's high you get from running long distances. Have fun pushing yourself.

Good luck, Karen. My father speaks fondly of the runner's high you get from running long distances. Have fun pushing yourself.

Thank you. I should have guessed that since the elliptical is so much more enjoyable it wouldn't count. :rolleyes: I hate running on treadmills, I always feel like I'm going to fall, so I guess I'll stick to my streets for training, but I'll still do the elliptical for cardio at the gym.

This is definitely pushing myself. I am not a runner my any stretch of the imagination (yet!) I haven't even told anyone in IRL yet.

Thank you. I should have guessed that since the elliptical is so much more enjoyable it wouldn't count. :rolleyes: I hate running on treadmills, I always feel like I'm going to fall, so I guess I'll stick to my streets for training, but I'll still do the elliptical for cardio at the gym.

This is definitely pushing myself. I am not a runner my any stretch of the imagination (yet!) I haven't even told anyone in IRL yet.

Run, Karen, run! :D

I just finished week 1 of Couch to 5K yesterday. I'm not a runner by any stretch of the imagination either. We'll have to keep one another encouraged.

BTW, I received the Study Skills book and it looks great. :)