Menu

Using MIT Open Courseware - how to do it?

If you've used the MIT open courseware online with your high school students did you use it as an enrichment of your standard course or did you use it as a stand alone course.

I'm looking at the open courseware for high school and note that they have Physics - something I've been mulling over for the past month or so. The even have AP course designations.

So, are these good enough to use by themselves? If you use them solo, how do you transcript them? Seems like it would look very nice to say a course was taken through MIT ;) ....

Bump - has anyone used these courses?

I have used some briefly for my own self study in mathematical analysis.

This is from their website:

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.

What is MIT OpenCourseWare?

MIT OpenCourseWare is a free publication of MIT course materials that reflects almost all the undergraduate and graduate subjects taught at MIT.

• OCW is not an MIT education.

• OCW does not grant degrees or certificates.

• OCW does not provide access to MIT faculty.

• Materials may not reflect entire content of the course.

I downloaded and printed off the course material for self study. Some of the courses have lectures that you can watch as well which come with transcripts in case you cannot understand the speaker.

It is free, but they encourage and accept donations.

Good Luck :)

I saw your post earlier and was hoping you might get a good reply. I've looked at these, and ds has tried using some of the physics lectures. The material I've seen seemed like it would have been hard to use "as is", with homework and tests, because it didn't appear that solutions were available for all assignments. The courses vary from one to another in that regard, I'm sure, but that is what I remember running up against. Don't want to discourage you at all, though! Just throwing something out here.

I saw your post earlier and was hoping you might get a good reply. I've looked at these, and ds has tried using some of the physics lectures. The material I've seen seemed like it would have been hard to use "as is", with homework and tests, because it didn't appear that solutions were available for all assignments. The courses vary from one to another in that regard, I'm sure, but that is what I remember running up against. Don't want to discourage you at all, though! Just throwing something out here.

One course that I used I already had the text for. The problem sets were similar to the Analysis course I took in graduate school. It was not hard to follow along, and it provided detailed solutions in an easy to read typed up pdf file.

I have not checked out the Physics courses, so I don't know if it provides solutions or not. It would be worth it to check and see.

I looked at the high school physics course (Classic mechanics) and it seemed that the homework sets all had solutions (pdf format). I'm thinking of using it over a year instead of a semester. I like the videos I've seen; it looks entertaining. We've used The Teaching Company's Physics program in the past, too, but this is more of a class in my mind.

I think it looks do-able, but I need to spend more time on the site. We won't be using it until Fall of 2010 anyways so I've got a little time to check it out.

Thanks, both, for your input.