Menu

I love my dh, really I do, but I cannot do school when he is home.

He was off today and is taking tomorrow off, too. We cannot get a thing done with him home, simply because he is so much fun! He went outside first thing this morning to swing his golf clubs and the munchkins followed him. He took them to the golfing range and later, out to lunch. Right now, he is playing his video game thingy, talking to himself like a little kid.

The man works HARD!!! I mean, ridiculously long hours at a high pressure job, so I love to see him play. Just tonight, ds had a baseball game in which dh is the coach. He jumped, cheered, and coached like a true fan!

I guess I should shut up, stop complaining and enjoy the fact that we enjoy his presence in our home. Many mornings, he's out the door before the littles are awake, and there are times that they're in bed before he gets home from whatever dinner he must attend.

We'll just double up on Wednesday, right???

You'll catch up. It's worth it to have a day of fun with dad. That's the beauty of homeschooling -- freedom to live life along the way!

Sometimes when my husband is home, I make HIM teach. Now that makes for an interesting day. My son prefers me, but my husband gets to appreciate all I do. lol Believe me, they have short days when dad teaches --he doesn't do nearly half the things on the list. It's good for both of them, though.

He was off today and is taking tomorrow off, too. We cannot get a thing done with him home, simply because he is so much fun! He went outside first thing this morning to swing his golf clubs and the munchkins followed him. He took them to the golfing range and later, out to lunch. Right now, he is playing his video game thingy, talking to himself like a little kid.

The man works HARD!!! I mean, ridiculously long hours at a high pressure job, so I love to see him play. Just tonight, ds had a baseball game in which dh is the coach. He jumped, cheered, and coached like a true fan!

I guess I should shut up, stop complaining and enjoy the fact that we enjoy his presence in our home. Many mornings, he's out the door before the littles are awake, and there are times that they're in bed before he gets home from whatever dinner he must attend.

We'll just double up on Wednesday, right???

If your kids are young - enjoy it, embrace it. Even if they're not young, enjoy it, embrace it. No need to double up on schoolwork later - it'll just make you mean and anxious and the kids won't get it. I promise - it all evens out. I'm so happy for the days where I just gave up and let dh lead the day on his weird days off. The kids learned tons and remember so much more than if we'd just "done school."

We have a hard time doing school too when Daddy is home. But I'm starting to embrace it! It gives me a needed break as I'm not the constant center of attention. The kids get a whole 'nother kind of education with him. Sometimes it is playing with him (and he plays differently than I do or even how the kids play together) so that brings a different dimension to it. Sometimes it is helping him do chores or something on the "to do" list - then they learn new skills that I think are priceless.

My husband is only off work one day a week, so when he is off - school is off. He has a weird schedule so he is usually (but not always) off eight Tuesdays in a row and then eight Sundays in a row. Our routine just falls apart anyway when he is home and I figure he deserves time to rest and enjoy the children.

Tomorrow we are off! We are packing a picnic lunch and going to a local spring for an afternoon of swimming, hiking and relaxation. :)

If your kids are young - enjoy it, embrace it. Even if they're not young, enjoy it, embrace it. No need to double up on schoolwork later - it'll just make you mean and anxious and the kids won't get it. I promise - it all evens out. I'm so happy for the days where I just gave up and let dh lead the day on his weird days off. The kids learned tons and remember so much more than if we'd just "done school."

Yes! Yes, yes, yes. We just have a standing rule that when Dad's home, school is out. What he brings to the dynamic, and to our lives, is worth far more than any of us would get if I tried to keep us stuck to the breakfast bar *knowing* he was puttering around just outside, or building something in the basement, or just waiting to spend time with them. Such good stuff.

We have never done school when Dh is home. In 7 years of homeschooling, he has never seen me teach a single lesson. He has a lot of faith, doesn't he?

I sometimes think that the amount of time he gets to spend with them as a result of our flexible schedule is our greatest benefit of homeschooling.

His relationship with the kids is so close.

I agree with Amy. I've finally figured out that they do learn, it gets done, don't worry about missing days, have fun (I am not a fun teacher).

I feel like our oldest was hit and miss through high school, but you know what? He's at his first (and only) choice of college, sophmore, loving it and doing well. I wouldn't worry about dad days.

My husband is taking Thurs. afternoon off so he can come play hockey with our co-op. We have an hour and a half of indoor ice weekly at a local high school for very cheap. When he is home he gets to do math and science, right up his alley.

As an aside, I am drooling over the original post on this thread talking about golf and baseball. It is below zero here this morning. What does grass look and feel like again?:)

We've managed it once or twice, but in general a vacation day for Dad is a vacation day for everyone.

We just like to mellow out and run errands or whatever together.

Although.....

I'm going away to a conference for a few days this spring and I intend to leave him with a lesson plan. It will be good for everyone if to have Dad teach!

I agree, enjoy the time, BUT when my husband lost his job it was so hard to have a normal school schedule with him home. I would love to spend time with him every minute of the day if I didn't have to get something done. It really disrupted our schedule. What a relief to have him back at work, even though he was helping with the homeschooling. It all worked out for the best, because we had just had a baby and it was nice to have the extra help.