Menu

Homeschooling someone else's child (not a relative) ...

Anyone do that (past or present) in any form or fashion (whether for one core subject only or for every subject)?

If so... how do/did you work out arrangements? Did you school the child every day, or just one or two days? Did you only teach the child one subject? Or did you teach them every subject for a full day?

Did you get paid in some fashion (cash, trading services, etc.) by the child's parents? Did you and the other parent take turns teaching; or maybe in a co-op fashion, did you teach certain subjects and they taught the other subjects?

Were there any issues with the legality of it in your state? How did you determine whether or not you were in violation of state regs and/or how did you conform to the reg to make it work? Did you consult with HSLDA?

LONG POST, sorry! This is the "back story" to my questions, so read on if you so desire:

Whew! A lot of questions, I know. Obviously, this has come up for me. A single mom in our neighborhood asked if I would homeschool her son (same age as my DS) next year (for many reasons, most specifically the quality of our local middle school). We haven't discussed it in any detail, but, frankly, I would love to do it. However, I do not want to be in violation of state law.

I helped another homeschooling mom out last semester -- her son came over 3-4 days per week, and I taught him every subject except math (because he was in a different grade level than my son). She didn't pay me in any way, just paid for his books and supplies. It was really my ministry to her, because she was in a really bad place emotionally and financially... I was worried she was going to have a complete break-down. (Things are much better for her now, and she was ready to homeschool full-time this spring.)

Anyway, during that time, a mutual friend (one of those who knows all, if you know what I mean) said that what I was doing was illegal. :ohmy: GULP! That really freaked me out! So, I went to read our state's homeschool laws, and I don't really think it was illegal... but the law is a little vague on this area.

But, how would I go about knowing for SURE if it was legal and above board? Would HSLDA be the place to start?

Again, I would truly love to do this. Last semester, having another boy about the same age schooling with us ended up being quite enjoyable for both my son and for me, AND it kept me motivated! So, I'd like for this to work out, if possible. Just trying to anticipate any pitfalls or legal issues before we get in too deep...

I homeschool a friends son. I do get paid, but it is the exact rate she was paying me to afterschool -care him when he was in public school. I teach him all subjects, she did pay for a special tutor for several months because he has a learning disability, the tutor came to my house. He just does what ever subjects we are doing, I figured out where to put him. We did just finally enroll him in a homeschool charter school, so legally he is a student of this school and I am just a tutor "helping" his mom school him. His mom is a single working mom, I see this as a loving ministry to him and her.

I am currently "homeschooling" three other peoples children in addition to my own youngest son. Most of the legal questions depend on the law in your state and the laws are so different from state to state I couldn't even begin to figure it out. Do you have a state homeschool association of any kind? HSLDA did have the laws by state on their website last time I was there. In my state the parent signs a form that they agree to be responsible for the child's education. However they see fit to do that is up to them.

All three are at my house from about 10-3 and we do all of the subjects. One child was really struggling, couldn't read at all so we are just getting her up to speed and she will start ps again in the fall. Another has been homeschooled all her life but her mom had to go to work so she started out coming to my house just to have a place to do her work. The other is a family friend whose parents work and my daughter nannied when he was young and now he does school at our house. One pays me cash, one gave me a dining table because they have no cash and one gives me money when she can or does some trading of services along the lines of what she does for a living. For us it is fun, kids know each other and get a long. My only warning would be you will get to know the kids, warts and all and it may affect your view of and relationship with his parents. It is a little bit of a balancing act, friendship wise.

I've homeschooled 2 other children, teens. One was like 13 years ago and one was more recently. And I almost took a Kindergartener this semester but the family's lawyer said they had to maintain status quo while a bunch of stuff was happening.

But it is legal here. I definitely would contact your state's group to find out. I don't know if HSLDA will give you info if you're not a member.