Menu

How much are you willing to pay for an informal dinner out with dh?

How much would you expect to spend on a casual dinner for 2 adults?  

1. 1. How much would you expect to spend on a casual dinner for 2 adults?

• $0-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100
    • over 100

Dh and I went out last night. It is the first time back to one of my favorite restaurants. They had raised prices about 30% since the last time I was there about 6 mths ago. We stayed and ate, but it really ruined the dinner for me knowing that it was sooo much more expensive than I was expecting. Granted, it only translated into and extra $10-15 (more tip too) but it was just knowing How much, percentage wise, the price had gone up. Dhs 3 small pieces of manicotti, with a few green beans, no salad or anything else was $16. My dinner plate size pizza (hand made-gourmet style) was $13. Dhs glass of average wine was $8 and my cola was $3.

So, this got me wondering....what are you willing to pay to have just a casual dinner out with dh. Nothing you would really dress up for, not an anniversary or birthday (unless those are the only time you go out), just a quick dinner without the kids or date night.

To me $10-20 is cheap, up to $30 is ok, up to $40 is getting expensive, over $40 is expensive, over $50 is a special occasion and better be darn good!

Make sure to calculate what you would actually leave at the restaurant. Meal, drinks, dessert, tip...total for 2 people.

ETA: Sorry to not be inclusive, please substitute 'partner', 'wife', 'lover', 'friend', 'life partner', 'boy/girl friend'....etc :0)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

We used to be in the mid $20's for the two of us, about 3-4 years ago. Now, we scarcely go out, but when we do it's in the mid $30's. :glare: And I'm talking about a Chili's-type restaurant.

Our favorite places cost at least $40.00 for us... that includes a nice drink, meal and maybe an appetizer prior or dessert afterwards. If we don't want to spend that, we agree that we are going out for drinks... or a "snack"... We don't go out unless we can spend that or it's just for "a little something".

Guest Alte Veste Academy
So, this got me wondering....what are you willing to pay to have just a casual dinner out with dh. Nothing you would really dress up for, not an anniversary or birthday (unless those are the only time you go out), just a quick dinner without the kids or date night.

I expect to pay $30-40 but we're intentionally frugal about it. We have a rule we made a long time ago that for typical meals out, we each have our own meal and either shared appetizer OR drinks (and then just one of us, as the other is DD) OR dessert, not all three add-ons.

For special occasions, we get it all. :)

Dh and I went out last night. It is the first time back to one of my favorite restaurants. They had raised prices about 30% since the last time I was there about 6 mths ago. We stayed and ate, but it really ruined the dinner for me knowing that it was sooo much more expensive than I was expecting. Granted, it only translated into and extra $10-15 (more tip too) but it was just knowing How much, percentage wise, the price had gone up. Dhs 3 small pieces of manicotti, with a few green beans, no salad or anything else was $16. My dinner plate size pizza (hand made-gourmet style) was $13. Dhs glass of average wine was $8 and my cola was $3.

To me $10-20 is cheap, up to $30 is ok, up to $40 is getting expensive, over $40 is expensive, over $50 is a special occasion and better be darn good!

Make sure to calculate what you would actually leave at the restaurant. Meal, drinks, dessert, tip...total for 2 people.

ETA: Sorry to not be inclusive, please substitute 'partner', 'wife', 'lover', 'friend', 'life partner', 'boy/girl friend'....etc :0)

I voted $21-30 but we do not drink alcohol. If we were to add the cost of an alcoholic beverage to our casual meal that would most likely put us in the $31-40 range.

Sorry, I voted before I read your post. I would EXPECT to spend 31-40. But for us I would not do it unless it was under 30 for both of us. But that is why we don't eat out very much.

And we always order water. I find the drinks are the items most marked up in price. We also use coupons or keep an eye out for specials. (Ex. we just received a $10 off coupon, no minimum) for a steak place in town.) Go online and see if the restaurant has anything you can sign up for. Even if it is a "send me info on specials". They usually send you out some coupons too.

I voted 31- 40$, we do often pay that..but we usually pay less, because we usually share a meal. We have always gone out once a week, since our oldest was 6 months old or so- it's good for our marriage. I have to confess it isn't unusual for dh and I to go out twice a week.

We usually share a meal though, and with drinks we might spend 25$ usually, once in a while we splurge and spend more. We just decided that this is what we like to do, and we don't do other things.

:iagree:

Most often we just get more of a fast food type thing - Arby's, Salsaritas, Five Guys. If we do that it is around $10-$15. That is our norm. If we go to an actual restaurant where we are served, etc. - I don't like to spend over $30. I am even happier if it is around $20 to $22. I will find a coupon or go for lunch to bring the cost down. I used to really want to go to sit down places. Now I would rather spend less on the meal and maybe get a treat later on while we are out.

I'd rather have an appetizer or a dessert than a drink w/alcohol. I don't drink wine or beer, so I'd have to get a mixed drink and it kills me to pay that much for one.

We (dh & I) only drink water at restaurants. We love soda pop but can't stand to pay restaurant prices.

I'd say if it was just the 2 of us we'd go to an ethnic restaurant for less than $20 (Greek, Mexican, Indian. Italian).

We always have a beer, so that increases it. Neither one of use wants fast food ever. We don't go out for burgers or pizza either - we tend to want to go places with food that I am not inclined to cook. If I had a personal chef, she would be a Vietnamese vegetarian. But I am not one to actually cook that, and the pleasure of eating out is eating what we never otherwise eat.

... due to gas prices, etc.

Hubby and I *love* to go out, but b/c of the cost we have cut back on going to restaurants and have been dining at http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/. They have a hot and cold buffet, we get what we want, pay by the weight (total for the two of us and bottled water for him last time was $25 -- I brought tea from home). The best part: no tip and wholesome food.

However, if we dine at a bonafide restaurant (and we hope to this Saturday), we expect to pay about $50 (at least) for a casual meal.

$71-80, or there about.

It's been over 2 years since dh and I went out for dinner alone. If we were to go out tonight, you can bet your bum I'd be having appetizers, steak or seafood, and drinks- with brand name alcohol, not the house garbage!

Now that I write it out, that's probably closer to $90 with tip. But it would be worth every penny!

If it were a regular thing, I'm sure we could spend less, but it's not, so we wouldn't!