Menu

Socks should match what? pants? shoes? shirts?

My DH usually wears jeans or green/tan casual pants like Dockers slacks. He isn't a "dressy" dresser, if that makes sense. He has always worn New Balance running shoes and so wears white socks. He now owns a brown leather sperry-type shoe. He is still wearing the white socks which just doesn't look right to me. So do I match his socks to his shoes? or to his pants? Does it change depending on the type of pants he wears? or to the type of shoes he wears?

And for that matter, I just bought a black pair of LA Gear running shoes and a brown leather Sperry shoe. I only wear white socks. I wear jeans and khaki pants.

Neither of us care to wear shoes without socks. Please help us not look so nerdy!!

My rule of thumb is for girls the socks should match the shirt or at least go with the shirt. For guys the socks should be brown or black depending on the shoes. For athletic wear, the socks should be short if you are wearing shorts. They should be white - no brown or black socks with shorts.

I think the key used to be pants or shoes either one. I think if the pants are darker, match the shoes, if the pants are lighter match the pants. That's what my dh has always done.

For me I usually try to match the pants, except with jeans, to make my legs appear longer.

Oh, no. He may not wear white socks. Please. Wrestle him down and take off the socks before he leaves the house. That is the worst fashion mistake one can make. Really.

He may only wear white socks when he's wearing his tennies. When he's wearing a dressier (or darker) shoe, the socks need to be as dark as his pants and shoes.

That goes for you, too. I'm just sayin' this 'cuz I love ya.:D

Usually, I match my socks to my pants. Lighter pants, lighter socks. So with khakis, I'd wear tan socks. The with jeans, I'd wear navy blue socks.

But I also tend to wear skirts and this year I've decided that life it too short to wear boring socks all the time. So sometimes, I match my socks to my shirt.

Oh, no. He may not wear white socks. Please. Wrestle him down and take off the socks before he leaves the house. That is the worst fashion mistake one can make. Really.

He may only wear white socks when he's wearing his tennies. When he's wearing a dressier (or darker) shoe, the socks need to be as dark as his pants and shoes.

That goes for you, too. I'm just sayin' this 'cuz I love ya.:D

Can I just say I dislike this rule?

Fashion socks leave my tootsies cold. Regular white athletic socks feel so comfy and warm that I sometimes wear them with my nicer shoes and jeans. I just figure I'm channeling my inner 50's greaser look.