Menu

Pet Assisted Therapy -- EK is interested in this as a career.

EK is interested in using pets (dogs & cats in particular) as therapy animals in working with disabled people. For example, she might take a dog into a rehab center to work with children who have cerebral palsy, or take a cat into a nursing home to work with elderly stroke victims. There are many other possible scenarios.

If you know anyone who does this type of work as a vocation, or someone who does this on a volunteer basis, I have some questions for you/them:

• What educational qualifications are necessary?

• Are there state or national certification programs?

• How would you actually go about getting started in this field?

Edited by ereks mom

Some of the more 'exotic' ones charge or take donations (equine).

My 16yo dd is helping me train our 8mo old German shepherd puppy. He is almost ready to test for his 'Canine Good Citizenship' certification. Once HE gets this she will be able to use him in a pet 'therapy' program at our local nursing home. (He needs both his Canine Good Citizenship and a vet statement of health). She would earn community service doing this--no actual pay.

This would be a hard area to earn a living in...It might be possible if she is part of a non-profit group... it is a great way to volunteer!

When working with animals--they (the animals) are the ones needing to be certified more than the people who work with them.

I would think you'd start in OT or PT, and get certified there, and then specialize in pet therapy. If she wants to do the emotional side of therapy, she could major in psychology and become a counselor, but do her work on the pet therapy side of things. Perhaps you could interview someone at the local nursing home, or find a pet therapist in the yellow pages.

Well, not exactly the same as what you're asking, but my aunt is an elementary school counselor who uses pets in her work. She's getting her PhD right now, with this as her focus. She uses dogs and rabbits (cat allergies are a problem), and it's really amazing what effect these animals have with the kids she sees. Plus, she is the most popular adult in the school; the kids are often given "rabbit time" or "dog time" as a reward for good behaviour, etc., and so a visit to the counselor is viewed as a thing to be envied. She is paid for her work--a normal elementary school counselor's salary. Nothing to write home about, but it is pay. Just another thing to think about!

Well, not exactly the same as what you're asking, but my aunt is an elementary school counselor who uses pets in her work. She's getting her PhD right now, with this as her focus. She uses dogs and rabbits (cat allergies are a problem), and it's really amazing what effect these animals have with the kids she sees. Plus, she is the most popular adult in the school; the kids are often given "rabbit time" or "dog time" as a reward for good behaviour, etc., and so a visit to the counselor is viewed as a thing to be envied. She is paid for her work--a normal elementary school counselor's salary. Nothing to write home about, but it is pay. Just another thing to think about!

Thanks!

I would think you'd start in OT or PT, and get certified there, and then specialize in pet therapy. If she wants to do the emotional side of therapy, she could major in psychology and become a counselor, but do her work on the pet therapy side of things. Perhaps you could interview someone at the local nursing home, or find a pet therapist in the yellow pages.

...the focus being more on HER training than on the animals' training. I had already been thinking OT or PT. I don't know that she'd be interested in the psychology aspect, but maybe.