Menu

Another Speech Related Question

MicheleB

I was talking with ds7's ST today about how ds says things like "gedrees" instead of "degrees". She felt it was a sequencing problem.

What exactly does that mean, for speech? Does it inter-relate with sequencing problems in other areas? For example, ds can sequence 7 numbers usually but after that, it's hard (or 7 patterns, let's say, if he's playing the game Simon). Maybe that's typical for a 7 yo. ???

If he's having trouble sequencing words in speech, does it spill over into reading? I know I've mentioned the possible APD before as well. Perhaps poor speech sequencing is part of APD.

ST has ideas for how to work on it. I've decided she's just very laid back. Since I'm having ds referred to a neuropsychologist this week when we go in for his physical, I'm thinking about waiting to have the n.p. test him for possible APD symptoms. Maybe they don't deal with that though.

So in addition to my above questions, if you were me, would you wait on the dx from the n.p. (which could be as late as this summer) or go through the laid-back ST for more testing?

Okay, I just perused the website for the n.p. and he seems to deal with CAPD. I'm thinking I'll wait unless that sounds unwise to anyone. I don't know... maybe the n.p. would know better how to deal with it anyway? Or, at the very least until we get in, I could ask the ST for a re-evaluation.

I'm so confused. I'm trying to really understand all this but it's confusing. It's slowly, slowly coming together...

You can get both evals. I wouldn't wait on getting the S/L eval. (Or did you mean wait on the n.p. eval?) If you or the neuro-psych are not satisfied with the S/L eval, your neuro-psych may order another one from a different speech/language pathologist.

Regarding the "gedrees" for "degrees" example, I think this is typical of an expressive language problem. I had not heard of sequencing as an aspect of language before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist within the field of speech pathology. From what little I know (and I am *not* an expert in this area!), sequencing of speech would be quite different from other sequencing skills. Speech and language utilize parts of the brain that are not used in other activities.

Do you remember how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time! You may be trying to assimilate too much information all at once. Just take it one step at a time. You don't have to understand everything right away; it's a process. Evaluations are useful because they can eliminate some possibilities and give indications that other possibilities should be explored further.

Whether your S/L person is laid back or not, I can't tell. Is she a speech pathologist? If you are comfortable with her and her credentials, I would trust the process and see what comes of it. She may or may not be the best in the field, but if she's competent you will likely get at least some good info out of the eval (even if it does not answer all of your questions).

Do you remember how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time! You may be trying to assimilate too much information all at once. Just take it one step at a time. You don't have to understand everything right away; it's a process. Evaluations are useful because they can eliminate some possibilities and give indications that other possibilities should be explored further.

Thanks Claire. That hit the nail on the head!! I guess I just can't believe I didn't realize they had all these issues going on.

Thanks for your other answers as well. So helpful, as usual! :)