Menu

"Teacher Development" What are some things you have done and are on your list to do

rafiki

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm personally taking Karen in CO's advice about reading rhetoric level material while my kids are in the grammar stage. It should give me more of a foundation from which to teach them and will hopefully prepare me more fully for when we hit that level. Maybe it will also keep me from overwhelming them! Also, I'm going to get SWB's The Well-Educated Mind and work through that.

Also, despite my dislike for public schools, I think some of the best opportunities for learning come from experienced teachers. My absolute favorite self-education books written by teachers for teachers:

Nurturing Inquiry by Charles Pearce

Science Notebooks by Brian Campbell and Lori Fulton

The Really Useful Science Book: A Framework of Knowledge for Primary Teachers by Steve Farrow

Mentor Texts by Lynne R. Dorfman and Rose Cappelli

About the Authors by Lisa Cleaveland and Katie Wood Ray

Social Studies That Sticks by Laurel Schmidt

About Teaching Mathematics by Marilyn Burns

Math Power by by Patricia Clark Kenschaft

I look forward to other answers!

Kristina

Attending the Circe Institute conference last summer and listening to previous years conferences on CDs for years now. Also Mp3s from Veritas Press conferences. Having people, in real life and online, that I respect and who are ahead of me in experience and wisdom to learn from. Reading books about education and teaching--The Art of Teaching by Gilbert Highet; Charlotte Mason's books; Norms and Nobility by David Hicks and others. :)

I just got SWB's The Well-Educated Mind. I'm looking forward to going through it. I'd like become a better reader of good literature, especially for my kids. It would be good for me to read ahead of them, I think, instead of waiting until they're in high school. We'll see how it goes!!

Read. Books, magazines, articles, blogs. Research educational opportunities and cutting edge programs.

Start programs, bring opportunities to where I live (we've started 3 co-ops here, brought TP to SD, participate in a OneAct Play Festival, have helped others start writing co-ops, run drama camps,etc.

Speak to other homeschoolers (getting prepped is a great way to learn = ).

Go to conferences (though I don't take the check book).

I also have organized a yearly homeschool women's retreat. For this I collect door prizes and I've found out about tons of new and interesting ed ideas by gathering door prizes.

Talk to other homeschooling parents. What are they using, thinking, struggling with?

Continue growing and learning myself in areas of interest.

My favorite teacher resources are:

Charlotte Mason's Original Series (volumes 1, 6)

Teaching With Love and Logic by Jim Fay

The Multiple Intelligences Handbook by Bruce Campbell

I try to improve my teaching practices by incorporating simple ideas from the Multiple Intelligences ideas. I don't go overboard with it, but using multi-sensory ideas is very useful to prevent boredom and burnout. I would say that remembering to utilize different learning modalities ("intelligences") is a good way to improve teaching practice. Every lesson on every single day does not need to be read/write about ______! Variety is important.

From Teaching With Love and Logic, I have learned the value of providing choice and sharing control on MY terms. Excellent reading for home educators!

My next "continuing education" book is going to be Teaching to Change Lives by Hendricks.

It is also important to be a learner myself, and to be growing intellectually and spiritually. I believe that it is important to take time for self-education, even if it is a modest amount of time.

Right now my only goal is to survive the next 7 months. When I'm not pregnant anymore maybe my brain will work again and I can start developing it. :) But seriously I want to start reading classic literature. I've always had a hard time reading the classics. I get bored if there's no love story in the plot. :tongue_smilie: I know it's silly. I don't read "romance", but I'm a sucker for o good love story, even if it's only a subplot. If anyone has used The Well-Educated Mind, I'd be interested to hear how it has helped them.