Menu

Orthodontics question - Herbst appliance?

He is actually about to get it off and get his braces on.

I was soooo worried about this. I mean, the thing looks like a torture device! However, it was NO BIG DEAL! It took my ds about a day to adjust to it. I thought we would have to eat mush. Not so! I really think it is less of an adjustment than the braces. He was really not sore or anything. And, he was only ten when he got it.

Hope it goes well for you!

We have experience with a Mara, which is similar to a Herbst.

If you google, you'll find quite a few orthodontists' websites that will give you an idea as to what to expect. The only things I would add are that ibuprofen is sometimes needed after adjustments (just for the day) and a higher-end Waterpik can really come in handy.

She got it on along with the palate expander and upper and lower braces. That was a LOT of hardware in one very young mouth!!!

The first couple of days she needed ibuprofen; I think that was more for the palate expander than the Herbst but since they were in her mouth simultaneously it's hard to be sure. It wasn't much different from being a bit sore (and needing ibuprofen) after a regular orthodontist appointment when she'd get a heavier-gauge wire or have some other significant work done.

After that, no big deal. As her jawbone lengthened, she did have the "bars" (they looked to me like miniature shock absorbers!) come apart. She became proficient at putting them back together per the orthodontist's instructions. As they were able to "move up a size" with the bars, they did so and that solved the problem.

I was much more worried about the Herbst than dd ever was and it really was NOT a big deal.