Menu

For those that are trying to reduce use of plastic bottles

what do you use to store water in the fridge? I have some Kleen Kanteens for individual use but we drink a lot of water and I am used to having a couple big plastic jugs of cold water in the fridge to pull out for dinner, etc.

Is there such thing as a stainless water pitcher with a lid? I'm not attempting to eliminate all plastics by any means but I am trying to reduce where I can.

Thanks.

Marie

We fill glass water bottles with filtered water (Brita) and keep them in the fridge for cold water.

I bought beverages in glass bottles with screw-top lids (Jones soda, Snapple, etc.). When the bottles were empty (yum!) we washed them and used them for water bottles. Each person has their own bottle, and we write initials on the lids with Sharpies to avoid confusion.

There are probably other ideas, but this is what works for us!

You can find either glass pitchers at Target or those kinds of stores, or in the warmer months you can often find big glass jugs with a spigot at the bottom. (I often see plastic ones at church picnics but it is possible to get glass ones.) The big glass jug with a spigot at the bottom may be your best bet.

To avoid plastic, you basically have the choices of metal, glass or ceramic. Most stores seem to have some variety of pitcher in one of these materials, but not necessarily with a lid. You could try a restaurant supply store, perhaps, to see if they have some metal ones available. Thrift stores are another possibility.

You can sometimes find large bottles of orange juice or such in glass bottle with screw on lids that can be recycled as water holders. My inlaws have used the Snapple-type bottles as water bottles for years. They keep a supply filled in the fridge, then wash in the dishwasher.

Do you need a lid? The metal ones I saw in googling were much more expensive with lids (as well as harder to find). If you are storing them on the top shelf, there shouldn't be an issue of something falling into it. You can get a 60 oz basic glass pitcher at Kmart for $7.

Look on Amazon and you will see a variety of metal pitchers and glass pitchers, but the glass ones with lids, at least, seem to consistently have guest reviews complaining about the lids.

You can find either glass pitchers at Target or those kinds of stores, or in the warmer months you can often find big glass jugs with a spigot at the bottom. (I often see plastic ones at church picnics but it is possible to get glass ones.) The big glass jug with a spigot at the bottom may be your best bet.

We've used these before, but the spigot is hard to clean and not so handy if you are wanting to pour several glasses quickly, as when getting dinner on the table.

I bought beverages in glass bottles with screw-top lids (Jones soda, Snapple, etc.). When the bottles were empty (yum!) we washed them and used them for water bottles. Each person has their own bottle, and we write initials on the lids with Sharpies to avoid confusion.

I like the larger glass jars w/ metal screw top lids for a few things too.

The trick is to find a brand that has a shaped bottle that is easy to grab, hold, and pour. I'm not sure what brand ours was --it was forEVer ago that we got it, lol-- but browse the shelves at the bottled juice sections {check the rerigerated and aisle sections} and practice holding/ pretend pouring the various bottles. You can either drink or dump the contents.....

We re-use a plastic WalMart jug that is GREAT for pouring for lemonade.

happy shopping :)

I like the larger glass jars w/ metal screw top lids for a few things too.

The trick is to find a brand that has a shaped bottle that is easy to grab, hold, and pour. I'm not sure what brand ours was --it was forEVer ago that we got it, lol-- but browse the shelves at the bottled juice sections {check the rerigerated and aisle sections} and practice holding/ pretend pouring the various bottles. You can either drink or dump the contents.....

Us, too. Our milk comes in gallon pickle jars. Ask the local deli if they'll sell or give you their empties.

Also, if you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have milk in glass bottles. You would, of course, have to buy the milk (and pay the bottle deposit) but then you could just keep the bottle for water use. Or you could just order a couple of these. :001_smile: I'm thinking of ordering a couple to transfer our milk into, rather than the plastic pitcher we use now (with the seemingly uncleanable lid... Ack!)