Menu

What are you using for science?

bookmomma

My sons will be 7 and 9 next year (roughly grades 2 and 4, respectively), they are very science-minded kids and already know a lot about science. I have failed to get their attention this year with the WTM method, and I'm looking for alternatives. We are secular homeschoolers too. And they love hands-on projects/experiments.

Please tell me what you are using, describe some of the topics covered, how do your kids like it, is it expensive/difficult, where do I find it?

Real Science 4 Kids for chemistry, it's going great. She's a Christian, but the materials are secular. I really like her Physics, too, we'll probably buy that later. I have a science and engineering background, and really like they way she teaches the materials.

For the rest of science, we check out cool books at the library. We'll start doing more experiments when my 3 year old is at least 4, maybe 5.

Edited by ElizabethB

My sons will be 7 and 9 next year (roughly grades 2 and 4, respectively), they are very science-minded kids and already know a lot about science. I have failed to get their attention this year with the WTM method, and I'm looking for alternatives. We are secular homeschoolers too. And they love hands-on projects/experiments.

Please tell me what you are using, describe some of the topics covered, how do your kids like it, is it expensive/difficult, where do I find it?

I'm using Otter's science. The topics all have to do with the human body

:

Week 1: Cells

Week 2: DNA and Genes

Week 3: DNA and Genes

Week 4: Skeleton

Week 5: Skeleton

Week 6: Muscles

Week 7: Muscles

Week 8: Brain and Nervous System

Week 9: Brain and Nervous System

Week 10: Eyes, The Sense of Sight

Week 11: Eyes, Senses & Illusions

Week 12: Ears, Hearing, More About Senses

Week 13: Ears, Hearing, More About Senses

Week 14: Heart

Week 15: Blood

Week 16: Lungs, The Sense of Smell

Week 17: Digestion, Teeth, The Sense of Taste

Week 18: Digestion and Elimination

Week 19: Nutrition

Week 20: Nutrition

Week 21: Nutrition

Week 22: Urinary System

Week 23: Endocrine System, Growth and Reproduction

Week 24: Skin, Nails, Hair and the Sense of Touch

Week 25: Germs

Week 26: Germs

Week 27: Diseases and Parasites

Week 28: Diseases and Parasites

Week 29: Fighting Disease

Week 30: Fighting Disease

Week 31: Drugs and Your Body

Week 32: First Aid and Survival

Week 33: First Aid and Survival

There are plenty of optional projects/experiments, websites, movies, etc. All of the books used are secular.

As for the expense - it's not too bad IF you can get a lot of the books from the library or used.

All of the books are NOT required and the main spine/materials aren't really that expensive. I ordered a few kits and the rest of the materials were things I usually have at home (vinegar, a chicken bone, etc.). I do use Brainpop.com (an AWESOME addition) and that is the most expensive (optional) element.

We've really had fun with it this year and Otter is retaining quite a bit.

It's really easy to follow/implement. I designed it to be pretty flexible and so you can easily leave lots of things out or add in something else that you have on hand since the weeks are arranged by topics.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :001_smile:

Edited by jenn&charles

I'm currently using Sonlight Science 5, which could be done secularly. I haven't been as "into" Sonlight Science as I have their history/lit (we're on our sixth and last core), but it's done what I wanted in terms of a human body study.

Next year we'll be doing Beautiful Feet's History of Science as our one "together" subject, which is also adaptable for secular use.

Edited by GVA

One thing we are using is Exploration Education

I checked out Expl. Ed. and it looks great, but the K-3 looks too simple, and are things we've already covered. But then the 4-6 (intermediate) looks a little complex for them. They have great mental / thinking capabilities, but are lacking in advanced reading and writing skills. I usually modify our material to what they can do. Are the lessons done only on the computer, or do you teach the lessons? It mentions that experiments take 30-45 mins. How long are the lessons?

Thanks, Angie

So, last year when my son was 9 we did an odd combo of biology and marine science. (It was originally designed to go along with the AP Bio and Marine Science courses my older one was going to take. She jumped ship and went to college early, but I'd already bought the materials, so we went ahead.) We used the Prentice Hall Science Explorer Earth's Waters book along with two marine science books from Dandy Lion and a bargain table book called Time for Learning: The Human Body. He read from the various books, did some projects from Dandy Lion books and Science Explorer text, did the online quizzes and chapter reviews from Earth's Waters. He also watched some science-related videos and DVDs and took some classes at our local science center.

This year (he's 10), we're focusing on ancient sciece to go along with his history studies. He's using The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way as a spine and supplementing with the following books:

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine

Science in Ancient China

Science in Ancient Egypt

Science in Ancient Greece

Science in Ancient India

Science in Ancient Mesopotamia

Science in Ancient Rome

For hands-on stuff, he's using Ancient Science: 40 Time-Traveling, World-Exploring, History-Making Activities for kids.

Our approach is neither expensive nor difficult, but does require some planning ahead to make it work.

I checked out Expl. Ed. and it looks great, but the K-3 looks too simple, and are things we've already covered. But then the 4-6 (intermediate) looks a little complex for them. They have great mental / thinking capabilities, but are lacking in advanced reading and writing skills. I usually modify our material to what they can do. Are the lessons done only on the computer, or do you teach the lessons? It mentions that experiments take 30-45 mins. How long are the lessons?

Thanks, Angie

Confession: Dh and ds do EE together. They are not very communicative about it, other than it is "good". Dh says it could use more reading material, so I don't think a lack in the reading/writing areas would be a problem. I think they start the lesson on the computer then work on the hands-on part. I do not believe that there is any "teaching" to be done other than clarification/review of what is read. I would say 30-45min per lesson is accurate (and that includes the experiment).

HTH!

Right now we're using BFSU K-2 (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Bernard Nebel -- whew!), and by then (age 7-9) we should be using BFSU's new program, 3-5. This should be out by 2011. Together with all this we'll be doing Nature Studies, studying 4-5 topics in depth every year. I'm using Tanglewood's Science Schedule (making my own).

I am attracted to Pandia Press' R.E.A.L. Science too, though, and I have it as back-up in my mind :)

Edited by sagira

What subject area and level is she using?

We use the Level 1 Biology and Chemistry plus she wanted the extra books that you can get for roots and so forth. She really likes them.

We did not get the Physics one as we wanted to make sure we liked the program and now she is begging for it. My 4 year old listens along and is actually remembering some of the verbiage as well now so we will be keeping it for him also.

We just started using REAL Science (biology 1). I like it b/c 1) it's all planned out for me, 2) it has lots of experiments and 3) it's inexpensive. They now have sample pages on their website, which was a big factor in helping me decide. I also seriously considered NOEO. It looks really good, but it was more $$.

We just started using REAL Science (biology 1). I like it b/c 1) it's all planned out for me, 2) it has lots of experiments and 3) it's inexpensive. They now have sample pages on their website, which was a big factor in helping me decide. I also seriously considered NOEO. It looks really good, but it was more $$.

Those two look the best to me so far, though I think I'm leaning toward Real Science 4 kids. Glad to hear your thoughts/ideas

Pandia press actually recently changed the name of theirs to

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey because of the confusion. This is what we're using now (Life level 1) and we are really enjoying it. I like that every week there is some sort of experment, activity or hands on project.

I also like that it's got enough to cover a whole year. I looked at RS4K but I didn't know what I'd use to cover the rest of the year. Each book isn't meant to cover a whole year so that really turned me off.