Menu

bedwetting&shame

a few weeks ago i posted about my 10 year old son, who is an amazing homeschool student but still wakes up in a wet goodnite every morning. Recently he slept over at a friends, got found out, and somehow all the kids in our church know now. I feel terrible for him- he is getting some teasing, he has been teased for other things before but never for this. The wetting is not under his control; how can I make him feel better about it?

I am sure he feels terrible about it. I guess the best thing to do is to be a real friend and be understanding and a good listener if he wish to talk. Also, there is a homeopathic remedy that is called Uri-Control that may help him. If nothing else, it certainly will not hurt him.

Be well

Miriam

Malia...just wanted you to notice that I sent you an invite to join our Oregon social group. I live outside Salem..... I do agree about the homeopathic remedy...my cousin used it and it worked for a while. I do know someone that wet until they were 12 or so, and once after they married at 18. That's just mean about the teasing! You might prepare him, if he ever dares to spend the night anywhere...the way they do at Tadmor Camp:-) I think it's something like...sleeping bags, pull-ups if needed, keep a plastic bag in sleeping bag (in bottom) change before you get up...put in bag. For your son, then he could roll up the bag and get it ready to go home. (don't forget to take it out! :-)

a few weeks ago i posted about my 10 year old son, who is an amazing homeschool student but still wakes up in a wet goodnite every morning. Recently he slept over at a friends, got found out, and somehow all the kids in our church know now. I feel terrible for him- he is getting some teasing, he has been teased for other things before but never for this. The wetting is not under his control; how can I make him feel better about it?

I don't know that you can make him feel better about it, but you can help him find ways of dealing with it.

As a childhood bedwetter myself, and mother to a bedwetter, I know that it is not our fault. Your son's body has not fully matured in that area. There are medicines that you can give him to relax the bladder and slow-down, if not stop, the wetting. My pediatrician discussed this option with me. I chose not to do that route--I don't believe in giving my child medicine for something he will eventually outgrow, and homeschooling makes that a little easier to deal with.

Make sure that he understands why it happens so he doesn't feel guilty or at-fault somehow. As far as others teasing him, explain to him that, well...kids can be mean! And also remember that that is no way to treat another human being that is different. Obviously, if you over-hear the kids say anything about it--call them on it and explain that your son has a medical condition that is beyond his control and at least he has the courage to wake up every day and deal with it. I'm a little agitated now, but I'm sure you can find a polite way to put the other children in their place. Perhaps speak with your minister about it and see if he/she will bring up a similar topic about people who face these types of things--you know, a little guilt over their behavior might be helpful and teach them a lesson.

On a side note: I have a nephew that has spina bifida (now 6 yo) and he has no control over his bowels or bladder. Other than that he is a normal kid. When they went to the public pool, some kids tried to tease him about wearing a diaper, and his big brother (8 1/2) piped up and let them know his brother has spina bifida and can't help it. They never said another word:)

My dd took Tofranil when she was 6ish, for about a month. She was never wet again from the first night. The ped gave her a 10-day prescription, cut the dosage in half for another 10 days, then in half again for another 10 days. It was a wonderful thing.

I wish my parents had looked into medical treatment for me. Don't know if they had it back then or if they could have afforded it. I bet I would look back on my childhood with more smiles. Even knowing it isn't your fault, doesn't help that much when you feel different from the other kids and you have to make accommodations for sleep overs.

I would also recommend trying one of the alarms if you haven't already. We used the "nighthawk" brand - it is a silent alarm (like a pager set to vibrate), so it doesn't wake everyone up - just the kid.

My kid was a heavy sleeper so I had visions of an alarm going off, waking everyone else in the house up except for him. That wasn't the case at all with this one. It woke him right up, and within a few weeks he stopped.

Every once in awhile he'll relapse. I don't even have to pull out the alarm. I just say, "You know, if this keeps going maybe we should try the alarm again" and he stops.

I wish my parents had looked into medical treatment for me. Don't know if they had it back then or if they could have afforded it. I bet I would look back on my childhood with more smiles. Even knowing it isn't your fault, doesn't help that much when you feel different from the other kids and you have to make accommodations for sleep overs.

My dd was born in 1975, so this would have been about 1980.

We did all the other things: woke her up in the middle of the night, had her help change the sheets, watched her diet, never made her feel bad about it, all that stuff. Nothing worked except the meds.

Many families that I know of my holistic circle of life use Chiropractic care for bed-wetting issues. My own son, age 5, was a bed-wetter every single night. We did all of the normal things, limit water, go before bed, etc etc. Nothing helped.

Here is the thing. Medications might work, but they are only masking the issue, not correcting it. Some children will outgrow the issue on their own, as their bladder grows stronger, and they start to listen to their body more. But some children will not "outgrow" it, because it is a problem that can not be outgrown. Read more:

Spines, and the spinal cord, is your central nervous system. This is where all the messages to the body get relayed, right? So if one of the message centers are not "right", the message doesn't get through.

Children's spines are often misaligned, ever so slightly, due to the nature of their lifes. Constant falling, tumbling, wrestling, etc etc.

So if the spine is not aligned, it can cause nerves in certain areas (depending on where the alignment is off) to be "dulled". It's not a problem when he is awake, because he is more alert. But combine the fact that he is sleeping and the nerve that gets the message about having to urinate might be "dulled", and there you have your problem.

So we took our own son, after having a month of once a week Chiropractic care, no more bed-wetting. Nothing else was changed.

Look into it. Research it online. Check to see what your insurance covers. Call around to see what rates the chiropractor's in your area are charging, if you don't have insurance. Honestly, a few months of this could make a world of difference for your son's self-esteem. It can't hurt to try before medicating.

hth

K