Menu

How often do you eat out?

How often do you eat out at restaurants/fast food places?  

1. 1. How often do you eat out at restaurants/fast food places?

• More than once a week.
    • Once a week.
    • Approximately twice a month.
    • Once a month.
    • Maybe once or twice a year.
    • Never

We try to always cook at home, but could sure use a break.

How often do you think is an acceptable number of times per week/month to eat out. How often do you eat out at both restaurant and fast food places?

ETA- Include times you grab something yourself, not just when the whole family eats out.

For people who eat out every two or three months, vote "once or twice" a year because I forgot that option. Once or twice a year will be interpreted as "A few times a year."

Edited by Blessedfamily

Yeh, typically once a week, I'm grabbing some tacos or a pizza because we were out late. Sit-down restaurant meals are maybe 2x a year (probably a birthday or holiday). We are offically going the month of January with no eating out though just because we've felt our going out was a bit excessive.

I actually wish I had a different response for this one. It is the one budget pitfall of our family. We just love to eat out at sit down restaurants. We eat out at sit down restaurants probably once a week and then order pizza/sandwiches once a week. And then if we are running an errand we might grab something at Chick-fil-a.

I know it is a waste of money but are family truly enjoys sit down restaurant meals together. There is no preparation time and no clean up and we can just sit there and enjoy ourselves.

We try and resolve to change this every other month but have no willpower. My dh does not really care to stick to a plan and I always figure he is the one working so hard for the money, if he enjoys it then we should go.

Anyway, sorry for the long response, it is just something we were going to try and work on for the new year and I kind of disappointed we didn't stick to it.

DH and I (and any of the boys who want to come) go out to dinner almost every Saturday night (Chili's, O'Charley's, and the like). Sunday afternoons we usually eat fast food at the mall. Fridays when my oldest goes to the CC he often picks up fast food for himself and his brothers. Mondays we go to a tutorial and often eat whatever they are serving. Today it was sandwich wraps. I don't know if that is considered eating out, but I don't make it, so I'm counting it. I also go to the monthly homeschool meeting and it is at Panera Bread Company.

Mandy, who is allergic to the kitchen

We eat out about once a week. What we've been doing is getting takeout and taking it home. We're only 3 people but that alone saves us almost 10.00 on a sit-down meal, with tip and drinks eliminated.

About every two months we get Olive Garden. Between a coupon and sharing two meals between all three of us, it's usually less than $30.00.

Usually once a week--more if we are traveling.

But we rarely do fast food, except when traveling, and even then we try to go to local places or perhaps Panera or Quiznos in a pinch. I cannot remember the last time I had a sandwich at McDonalds, although I have been known to pop in for a cup of coffee when on the road.

We usually go out for lunch or dinner at some point over the weekend to a sit down place, often locally owned. I love going out for a good breakfast, say a veggie filled omelette with real homefries, but so few restaurants where I live offer a decent omelette. That to me is a real treat!

Jane

I said once a week. We have an amazing Chinese take out place nearby so we do that a couple times a month. And there are usually a couple days each month where we are out and about a lot - usually we'll grab some burritos or in-n-out (our two acceptable fast food choices :001_smile:) on our way home.

Of course, this doesn't count little things, like Starbucks, or a pretzel at the mall for my 2yo to snack on while I'm shopping, etc.

I chose once or twice per year, since you seemed to be asking about eating out as a family. Dh and I go out a couple times per month if we can find the time, and once in a while one of us will take one of the kids out for a "date". As a family, we tend to order in rather than go to a restaurant, but that's still only once every couple of months.

Lori

I'd eat out about once a week if the budget allowed, but it doesn't. We were doing about 2 times per month, but now that the income is down, it's less. We eat out on the budget plan (was $50/month for a family of 6), so that means virtually no sit-down. Pizza or Chinese are/were our most popular two choices that we can do on the cheap. Maybe once a month right now, or maybe even less.

~Staci

Someone in our family eats out daily. Between jobs, sports and school obligations probably 2-4 of us eat out at least one meal a day.

We rarely go out as a family and eat, maybe once every two months. It costs us about $80-100 to eat out so it is a rare treat. We do bring home dinner about once or twice a week. We live in an area with a lot of restaurants and bringing it home is much cheaper than eating out.

We live several miles out of town, but still go to town a couple times a week. When we're there, it's usually for an extended period of time, so we usually end up eating at least one meal out. This usually only includes me and whatever kid is with me. We rarely eat out as a family. Maybe twice a month, when I'm in town with the kiddos, we'll meet Daddy for dinner (always *his* favorite place). Dh and I hardly ever go out by ourselves. Once we're home, we usually don't leave.

As a family, we go out maybe 3-4 times a year, pizza included, although we do pick up pizza more often than that. Since we live about 15-20 minutes from town, I try to do 4-8 hours of errands at a time so that generally means a meal out one or two times a week. I try to take a different child along each time for some one-on-one and make it special.

Barb

We live several miles out of town, but still go to town a couple times a week. When we're there, it's usually for an extended period of time, so we usually end up eating at least one meal out. This usually only includes me and whatever kid is with me. We rarely eat out as a family. Maybe twice a month, when I'm in town with the kiddos, we'll meet Daddy for dinner (always *his* favorite place). Dh and I hardly ever go out by ourselves. Once we're home, we usually don't leave.

That's so funny, I posted almost the same thing without reading any of the responses.

Barb

We can't afford it either, but used to do it a lot when our schedule was busier. Last year, when dd had dance from 4-5pm, it just so happened Domino's Pizza was in the same parking lot. So, pizza once a week, for sure. Then, when we were doing coop in the afternoons, and it's a distance away, we'd do errands and either end up eating lunch or dinner out. Now, I try and pack lunches to eat in the car, and make sure we're home in time for dinner. Of course, I'm dieting now, so that could have something to do with it.:D

LOL. Vary rarely but it's because there are no fast food places where we live! Well we do have Subway and once in a great while we get a sandwich there, but that's it, really. Once a month we go to the orthodontist 80 miles away and we eat some type of fast food for lunch then, and hit Starbucks on the way home (need coffee for the trip back). That's about it. If we had access to fast food I'm positive I would eat out more - but I'm glad we don't.

Oops! I said, "Never." But, during the recent power outage dh brought home two roasted chickens from the grocery deli for Christmas Eve dinner and it was such a hit with the kids that we did it again on our anniversary last week (29 years!) We all ate at home, but the hot chickens weren't the usual cooked-it-ourselves variety.

I chose the 1x per month but it is really more like every 2 months. In between those times we may stop once for a $.99 float/milkshake from Cook-Out. But our budget just does not allow for a lot of eating out. But we don't usually do fast food. We love to go to Panera Bread and get their group soup (broccoli cheese) that saves money instead of ordering the soups individually. There is enough for all four of us. We also just get water to save $$.

I voted once a week because we almost always get fast food on the way home from church. I hate to cook on Sunday's. Usually within a month we eat out one-three more times...depends on our schedule and if I remembered to put something in the crockpot on co-op days.:D We could easily trim down our budget if we cut this out, but I hate to cook, so this is something I just assume we'll do. Five or six years ago we ate out at a Chili's/Applebee's type restaurant every Sunday after church...so we are slowly making progressl

We used to eat out once a month or less. We just couldn't afford it. When I drove my dds to lessons, I packed meals and snacks to eat in the car. That was the best we could do.

Dh finally got a better paying job last year, so we've been eating out more, and then ds graduated from college and got a really good paying job, so when he comes home on weekends now, he takes us out to eat at least twice during the weekend. He loves to treat us!

So, had you done this poll last year, I would have marked less than once a month.

Now, I marked more than once a week! And I LOVE not having to cook it or clean it up. What a treat!

I chose once a week because I was thinking that was most of the time. Then I thought about it more and I should have put twice a week. We either as a family or just dh and I eat out once per weekend. It is usually a fast food type place - Burger King, Arby's or Five Guys. Very occasionally do we do a sit down place. Dh and I used to do a date night about once a month and do a sit down meal. The budget has been tighter this year, so we have been skipping that more and more. My mom and I also run errands or go shopping about twice a month. We will eat out then. Sometimes we do a sit down or sometimes we just eat in the mall (like today). So my vote is about 6 times a month. Interestingly enough, on Oprah last week, Susie Orman challanged people to not eat out for a month. I was telling my dh about it and saying I just don't think I could do that. He said we could do that like it was no problem. I informed him that I actually look forward to my weekend break of not having to really cook. We eat out once during the weekend, I cook something really simple once on the weekend and we have a "make yourself whatever you can find" meal on the weekend. You can tell he doesn't think about the cooking and cleaning up part because he couldn't care less if we went out! :tongue_smilie:

INteresting that you are posting this now...

We've been eating out about 3-4 times per week. But Bud's forecast is pretty slim right now. So we've set a budget to allow one sit down restaurant and one "quicker" place per week. I say quicker because we don't do fast food, but we do like to eat at Dickey's BBQ, which has a service line and kids eat free.

We always eat out with our Bible study group after church on Sundays, and our group is changing that to potluck meals at least half the time.

While we're not strapped...yet...we've definitely been living a lifestyle without many cares. We're trying to be proactive vs. reactive in case the income outlook continues to be dismal. Blah.

When the dc were at home, we rarely ate out. However, when the baby turned 18 and the older dd got married, I went to work, and we began eating out on weekends...because we could. I haven't worked in a long time now, but we still eat out on weekends. During the week we eat at home.

We dont buy too much junk food- sometimes I will pop in to a fast food place for the kids when out, but I try and use Subway or healthier alternatives. I probably buy them take away once a week during school term, just for convenience sake while we are out on errands or for classes.

Then, dh and I both like to eat out sometimes. I said more than once a week, but really, sometimes its less than that but lately it has been a fair bit. It was dh's b'day and we went out for both lunch AND dinner because it was just him and I, the kids were elsewhere, and, well, we could, so we did!

Its certainly something i cut back on when I am feeling the need to cut back, but if I am feeling a sense of financial abundance- as in, there is money in my purse that is for spending- I will buy take out for the kids and I. If not, I will pack a lunch, which usually barely gets eaten.

we get fast food chips, from a fish and chip shop. once a month when we go shopping. the shopping is done 120 km from where we live. ( closest big shopping center)

we get $10 of chips ( fries) it feeds the whole family

Wow Melissa, you must live in Whoop Whoop :)

I have Tuesday mornings w/o kids so I usually treat myself to either breakfast or lunch or if dh is working from home I bring back something and we have lunch together.

On the weekend dh usually brings me out to lunch someplace nice.

Sundays if we are out we usually stop for BBQ

The kids and I grab a bagel (for them) and tea (for me!) at Panera about once a week, and I'm sure dh grabs something equivalent about as often. We eat out as a family a few times a year... usually just lunch at a Chinese buffet, although the price of that has really gone up since the last round of birthdays bumped up the cost for the kids.

You didn't have an "other" so I voted once or twice a year. I'd have to say that we eat out maybe once every 2 - 3 months. Once a month just sounded too often. That includes carryout from Chinese or Pizza places.

How silly I am. I should have put an "other" because we eat out every 2 or three months too. Definately not once a month, but more than twice a year. :001_rolleyes:

Well, last week we had company and ate out A LOT.

IT had been about every 2 weeks or so for us as a family. I have no clue what DH does when he leaves the house... (had been 1-2 times a week until about 2 years ago)

Massive changes around here will be meaning massive budget cuts, and that could put the end to eating out at all unless the grandparents treat the kids and I someplace. I'll give that up to be in a happier place in life.

For what it costs, we can not afford to eat out. If we do, it is because a relative is in town and treats us, or we are on vacation and I refuse to make any more sandwiches!

We do order pizza about every other month!

I just get the willies thinking of how much grocery stuff I could buy, and how many meals, out of the cost of a meal out. I tend to compare items with the cost of a good, large beef roast! ;) or a new DVD for our collection.