Menu

I need ideas for a tea/crafting get together for about 8 girls and their AG dolls...

a series of craft and cook books (one for each of the original girls) and your library might have those. There are a lot of great craft and recipe ideas perfect for the dolls and their period. We have a Party book that isn't in print anymore (I don't think) but your library might have it too. I wish I could be of more help.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com

has free printables and ideas for lapbooks that might have more ideas. This is under level 5-chapter books.

You can make simple doll blankets using fleece. Girls can choose to cut the edges into narrow fringe and pull the fringe to make it curly. They can also easily cut out a simple shape like a heart and sew it on the blanket.

A simple cape can be made with a large rectangle of fleece. Take two corners from one side and draw them together so that the two halves of that side come together in a line. Sew that line to make the hood shape (just one line). Then snip very tiny slits evenly spaced down where the dolls neck would be. Allow a generous amount of space for this as the doll's head will fill the hood more than you think. Thread some pretty ribbon through the slits--you now have a hooded cape.

Little Debbie Snack Cakes look like elegant petit-fours. They're terribly unhealthy but wonderfully cheap and pretty. Lay out an assortment on a pretty platter and call them tea cakes.

If you want something healthier you can serve mixed fruit with a little vanilla yogurt dollop. Cucumber sandwiches are also nice.

A simple cape can be made with a large rectangle of fleece. Take two corners from one side and draw them together so that the two halves of that side come together in a line. Sew that line to make the hood shape (just one line). Then snip very tiny slits evenly spaced down where the dolls neck would be. Allow a generous amount of space for this as the doll's head will fill the hood more than you think. Thread some pretty ribbon through the slits--you now have a hooded cape.

This idea sounds great, but I can't figure it out! Can you try explaining it to me again? I'm one of those people who has to see things in order to figure them out, so bear with me. I really like the idea, though!

We made tiny salt dough cookies, and painted them with fingernail polish.

Our American girls are still enjoying them 8 years later.

We also made denim sleeping bags with gingham pillows. The girls learned how to embroider their doll's name on the sleeping bag.

This is what we are doing for my youngest's birthday party this year. She wants a Samantha style tea party. What I am looking at doing is:

making tea sandwiches in shapes cut out with a cookie cutter (cucumber or maybe chicken salad)

serving "tea" in the cups from the play tea set which I will wash. The "tea" will probably be lemonade.

making sachets--a strip of lace, some potporri and a ribbon. lay out the lace, add a pinch of potporri and tie it up with a pretty ribbon.

we may play "mother may I" because it is a more lady-like game without a bunch of running about.

There are the American Girl pastimes books and they have a lot of ideas and so does the Welcome to (fill in the doll's name)'s World as far as what life was like during that period and what the children may have done.

I wish you luck.:001_smile: