Menu

Complete curriculum??

Cheryl in NM

I'm thinking of going with a boxed curriculum for next year. I want to continue with Saxon Math though. Ds is 12, 7th grade, but reading at a much higher level. I'm thinking Sonlight because it's literature based and ds loves to read. I'm also considering Lifepac though because it gives schoolwork in smaller more manageable chunks.

Anybody want to share their experiences with these 2 curriculums?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm think of going boxed because I'm worried that I've bounced around too much with curriculum changes over the years and would like to have it all consolidated for me. I'd also like to take a year off the planning and responsibility.

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful help!

We used Calvert and it was very thorough. I considered Sonlight for awhile because I love that it's a lit-based curriculum, but didn't like that it wasn't secular. I have bought things from them, though, and am tempted to get one of their reader packages (minus the schedule) for next year. I received my order pretty quickly after I placed it.

I think that you would get a better education using Sonlight than Alpha and Omega. I'm not a big workbook fan. If your son loves to read then I think that Sonlight would be great for him. The other options would be Winter Promise or My Father's World.

Just wanted to add that if you like the idea of the workbooks, I think Christian Light would be a better choice over Life Pacs. There is also Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum as well.

I'm thinking of going with a boxed curriculum for next year. I want to continue with Saxon Math though. Ds is 12, 7th grade, but reading at a much higher level. I'm thinking Sonlight because it's literature based and ds loves to read. I'm also considering Lifepac though because it gives schoolwork in smaller more manageable chunks.

Anybody want to share their experiences with these 2 curriculums?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm think of going boxed because I'm worried that I've bounced around too much with curriculum changes over the years and would like to have it all consolidated for me. I'd also like to take a year off the planning and responsibility.

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful help!

Hi, We are using Sonlight Core 5 this year with our 6th grader, and it is our first year with Sonlight. We are really enjoying it. I do not like the Core 5 Bible program, however. But that's an optional purchase. The IG is great and has helped me a lot. Your son would be the perfect age for Core 6. That's what I am thinking about using next year. Of course, if his reading level is higher, you might want to make some modifications but I really don't think it's necessary. I am planning to substitute Spielvogel's Human Odyssey for the SOTW books. OR you could do Sonlight Core 100 if you are wanting American History and I have heard that this is a fabulous core for Junior High. Sonlight does have lots of reading but it isn't all heavy reading, so that helps. We don't use SL Language Arts so I can't help you there. I have no idea what that's like. What I also like about SL is that it keeps some fun in the picture. The reading is not heavy all the way through. It's also age-appropriate.

Another option you might have since he's reading at a high level is Ambleside. Have you looked at Year 7? Or even the lower years as they are not grade-level. I know it's not boxed as you have to assemble the materials, but there are Yahoo groups, lots of advice on how to implement on the website. LA recommendations are given. You really only need to add math and foreign language. The books are very rich. Year 7 covers the middle ages.

Best wishes,

Anita

I would definitely go with Sonlight over AO. I've been using AO SOS with my oldest and I've switched away from all but the Bible and language arts. I'm not even thrilled with those, but they're adequate and I don't want to spend any more money this year. I'm using Sonlight history for my 5th grader and I'm very happy with it. I don't use all their products, but I think they're all good. The only thing I've heard pretty mixed reviews on is their science. From what I've heard, some years are good, and some not so much.

Their catalog is better than their website. You really can't see from the website how the pieces fit together for a complete program or just a few subjects. They have some interesting options for history and their Lightening Lit programs are good.

They're my back-up if our co-op plans fall through.