Menu

Can you help my dd test a hypothesis she has?

I don't want to give away exactly *what* it is, so as not to skew the results. I hope I can word this understandably.

She wants to know what the smallest number is that you still consider a very large number. In other words, where do large numbers (large amount) start in your mind. She also wants to know your age. She has a theory regarding age vs. the number you choose.

So far she has her 6 data points from our family, and would love more. The baby's answer of "ga" didn't count. :lol:

She would especially like more data points for children if you are willing to ask your kids.

Thank you!

I did not look at any other posts yet. I am asking my kids as well.

Me (40year old female) - 1000

dd (5) - 100

ds (6) - 1000

dd (10) - 50

I tried to keep them from looking at the screen and listening to each other. Ds did say that his #1000 was "larger than 100" so it is possible that his results are skewed. I hope this helps.

Now I am off to read the other responses.:001_smile:

It's hard for me to just arbitrarily pick a number. It depends on the circumstances, ya know? For example, to me 10 is a large number of kids. But, not a lot of donuts. :D

Seriously, though, I'd say 1,000. Oh and I'm 30.

ETA: 100million according to my 42yr old dh.

Edited by RebeccaS

It's hard for me to just arbitrarily pick a number. It depends on the circumstances, ya know? For example, to me 10 is a large number of kids. But, not a lot of donuts. :D

DD (13) said the same thing! If we are talking about things, then 50. If just numbers then 100.

I say 10,000 and I'm 31.

I'm having trouble with it, too -- and now I've read the other posts, so I can't play. Now, if we were talking cash, I know what I would say. :D

DS (age 14) -- 1,500

Me (age 52) -- 1,000

I didn't ask DS what he was thinking about, but when I think of very large numbers, I think of money. I think 100 is a lot, but not *very* large.

I hate to post this because I know 1,000 is not very large to most people, and I probably sound ridiculous.

I agree with the OP that it does depend on what I associate the number with. For winning the lottery, taking cash, taxes paid already, I'd say $1 million. For calories, I'd say 500. For a day's temperature, I'd say over 100. And so on.

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm 39 (tomorrow!), have 4 kids ages 9 and under.

For number of kids in a family, I'd say big starts around 6 or 8.

For age, I'd say a big number is 100.

For number of dollars I'd love in my bank account...$25,000,000.

For number of people to fit in our country (currently maybe 300,000,000....big would be 1 billion.

Totally depends. What is it we are counting?

I don't want to give away exactly *what* it is, so as not to skew the results. I hope I can word this understandably.

She wants to know what the smallest number is that you still consider a very large number. In other words, where do large numbers (large amount) start in your mind. She also wants to know your age. She has a theory regarding age vs. the number you choose.

So far she has her 6 data points from our family, and would love more. The baby's answer of "ga" didn't count. :lol:

She would especially like more data points for children if you are willing to ask your kids.

Thank you!

7, and I'm 39

100,000. I'm 39. I'll ask the kids tomorrow.

My husband likes to ask children, especially small children, how old they think he is. The answers generally range from 5 to 99, and tend towards one end or the other. (They almost always say older than they are, the 5 answers are generally from 3 or 4 year olds...they think 5 is really old!)

Thank you!

the smallest # would be 999 with 1000 being the first number I consider big. I'm 48. Jamie (DH) says 99; first number he considers big is 100. He is 46.

7yo says 10.

Edited by jamnkats

Mandy, 40yo big number= a million

and walking around my house

little ds, 6yo (in the downstairs study)= 100,000

neighbor's ds 13yo (in the upstairs gameroom)= 100,000

middle ds, 15yo (in the upstairs gameroom)= There is no such thing as a big number. A number is only big in relation to something. (He is so literal he makes me crazy.)

oldest ds 17yo= Numbers don't impress me. A one with a billion zeroes is like so what, but a thousand dollars in your wallet is a big and dangerous number.

Thank you everybody!

It's been a crazy few days so we haven't had time to sit down with all the results, but it's been interesting reading everyone's thoughts. It's funny, I don't think she or I even *considered* the question of "in terms of WHAT" a number would be big. We were just thinking a general, theoretical "number". :001_huh: Maybe this is why I gave up on math in college. :lol:

My dd's theory in general was that the older you are, the bigger the number you consider large would be. Hopefully I'll be able to look at all the data with her soon!

Thanks again for helping us out.:001_smile:

dd, (under 10 years old), says 10

ds, (under 10 years old), says 11

dh, (5X8) says 20,000, but thinks he may need to recalibrate that because Barack Obama says 18 billion is a small number.

I (same age as dh) immediately thought one million, but then again, I was thinking money. If we were talking about mice, rats, or groundhogs, I would say that dd's idea was more like it. Especially in the house. :tongue_smilie:

Hope that helps. :001_smile:

Susan