Menu

Wish I was a little more brave....

We live just outside D.C. and I think it would be cool to go this historic Inauguration. Unfortunately, the idea of D.C. with a crowd of 3 million people terrifies me, especially when there's going to be virtually no way to drive in. A crowded metro with 3 small kids is horrible! Well, that and below-freezing temperatures. Still, I'm feeling a little bit wistful about it....

Sarah

We live just outside D.C. and I think it would be cool to go this historic Inauguration. Unfortunately, the idea of D.C. with a crowd of 3 million people terrifies me, especially when there's going to be virtually no way to drive in. A crowded metro with 3 small kids is horrible! Well, that and below-freezing temperatures. Still, I'm feeling a little bit wistful about it....

Sarah

I understand your reluctance. I wouldn't want to have to deal with all of that either. That's why, when we lived near San Francisco, we stayed home and watched the football games on TV. Better seats and no traffic. :001_smile:

There's not any way I would go. And I wouldn't go to the Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl Parade, or a huge rock concert either. Just could not be further from my thing.

Green acres is the place for me.

Farm livin' is the life for me.

Land spreadin' out so far and wide

Keep Manhattan just give me that country side.

Oh, I say do it. I took my young children on the crowded metro all the time. It's not that bad. If you're really worried about it, any chance another grown up can go with you? Or, what about taking only your oldest and have someone else watch the younger two? It's such a big day in our nation's history, I'd hate for you to miss it. I have always heard people talk about marching with MLK and I just kind of compare this inauguration as that momentous of an event. I'm sad we no longer live up there. We moved in July and I really wish we were there now.

I also live just north of DC and there's NO WAY I would take my kids down there on for Inauguaration day. Last I heard you aren't allowed to take backpacks, strollers, or umbrellas. It will be packed and hard to find bathrooms, a place to rest, etc. Plus it will probably be cold.

I would go. My grandmother is in Silver Spring, and I seriously considered taking my kids (3 and 5), since we would have a place to stay. It will be carzy, it will be hectic -- but also historic and exhilarating. I can't find a reasonable way to work around my job obligations and the travel time there, but I really wish I could do it.

I'm also wondering, with all those crowds, what, exactly, will the little ones see besides a bunch of butts?

Nothing else, probably. But it's not only about what they will see. They will forever have the bragging rights to tell their children how they were present at one of America's most momentous occasions. This is huge! She would be passing on a love for her country and traditions. They will remember the crowds, the cheers, and the cold, but most of all, how important it was to their mother to share this day with them.

way back when, I went to DC a couple of days before George Bush Senior's inaugaration. We were going to see the museums, it just happened to be right before the BIg Day. It was cool to see all the work going on to set up for the inaugaration, all the docorations, all the security, tons of soldiers marching around. Maybe if you just pick a nice day before the Big Day and just take your kids to view all the setting up, maybe they would enjoy seeing all that.

and I'm thinking of taking my mom and kids and heading down to my BIL's in GA to enjoy the peace and quiet.

My poor husband has to work that week and he'll be stuck in traffic on 95 all week. He's thinking of staying with some friends of ours who live closer to his work while we are gone just to avoid the commute (17 miles to our house). He's in retail and they are not closing for Inauguration.

My mom lives near a metro stop and people are renting condos and homes all around her for $$$$$. She knows the roads will be crowded with tourists and it's bad enough without them.

We've lived here a long time and I guess we are hard to impress (and tired of the traffic and crowded metro).

I'm sure we can buy the DVD with the highlights....

K

way back when, I went to DC a couple of days before George Bush Senior's inaugaration. We were going to see the museums, it just happened to be right before the BIg Day. It was cool to see all the work going on to set up for the inaugaration, all the docorations, all the security, tons of soldiers marching around. Maybe if you just pick a nice day before the Big Day and just take your kids to view all the setting up, maybe they would enjoy seeing all that.

Yea, Jeannie, that's a good idea! At their young ages they would be able to piece together the idea of where it's happening when they watch it on TV.

As it gets closer, I'm hearing more and glad that I already decided not to try it. First, they are actually discouraging people from bringing small children. Second, I've heard about all of the evacuation plans "should something happen" and that makes it an easy decision.

Guess we have to content ourselves with being nearby.

If they were older, I might do it anyway. I remember going to the fireworks as a small child and the only thing I remember is my terror waiting on the metro platform as the crowds pushed me around. And this is going to be much more crowded than that. I can't imagine!

Thanks for the comments though - both for and against!

Sarah

I'd take the metro in, but I'd want another adult with me to keep up with the kiddos. If we still lived in DC, we would be there.

This is what I was thinking. With children that young, I would probably want a 1:1 ratio, adults to children. I'm one of those moms who was super stressed caring for young ones, especially when I was outnumbered.

I passed up the opportunity to hear Hillary Clinton give a speech seven blocks from my house. I could hear the crowd, I could tell the line to get in would be outrageous. I could not do it, that's what a chicken I am.

[ETA: I didn't read past Tammyla's comment to see that you'd posted. Good for you. Watch it on the tube and call it a day. I would also show the children on a map where it was all happening and take them there after it's all over, on a nice, quiet day...!]

I also live in the DC metro area and I am not going.

I have lived in a big city all my life. I am used to taking the metro in normal crowded conditions and extraordinary conditions. I have experienced a couple of big historical events as a young adult and I was glad I was there.

I also know that for kids as young as yours it would be nothing but a nightmare. We are not talking about a couple of hours standing then making your merry way home. We are talking about many hours standing, with frigid temperatures and masses of people towering over you and then facing more hours before being able to reach home.

I am definitely watching and discussing the event live and then taking the kids down to DC as a follow up at some other (les crazy and safer) time.

I am glad you are at peace with your decision.

For me, it is like this:

Green light for adults and young adults who want to be there, are aware of the circumstances, restrictions, are in good health and prepared. They will appreciate the uniqueness and historic nature of the event and be able to bear the tribulations.

Red light for anybody who does not meet the above requirements.

We're close enough that we could easily go as well. However, heading into DC with 3 million people in subfreezing temperatures is not my idea of fun either. We'll watch it on tv.

Lisa

Yep, us too. And the discussion of inadequate potties on the news last night just clinched it for us. :eek:

No way. Those have been booked for months.

According to the Washington Post, as of last Wednesday, there were 800 rooms left. I haven't called the number myself, but it's at this link:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inauguration-watch/2009/01/hotel_rooms_still_available.html?hpid=topnews.

BTW, I live in the area, and my family will be watching on TV. :) But I admire others' braveness!

with just dd. She's 11 and really wants to go. Oldest ds will be watching at home--and watching youngest ds at the same time. Youngest ds has disabilities and while 7 is really like a preschooler. I honestly would not go with a child younger than dd.

We plan to leave at 6 am, wearing an amazing amount of layers. We will get the bus to subway. Because many stations are closed we will still have a small hike to get a spot at the swearing in (we are not doing the parade). We expect to sit for hours before the ceremony. We will take some food (dd has allergies so we could not scrounge street food from vendors. We are taking a small biography of Obama to read together while we wait. I do not think younger children would have the patience to handle this kind of early rise, walk and wait in the cold. At least none of my dc could have handled this at younger ages.

I believe there are events where you can watch on a big screen indoors and be in the company of others who want to watch (and possibly cheer) in relative comfort. Some of my neighbors are having a "party."

I've lived here all my life and never been to an inauguration. I probably will never do it again. One of my neighbors is going, she hasn't been since Johnson.

No way! Not with the ages of your kids. That would be miserable. They're not going to get anything from it. When my parents took me (at age 5) to stand outside of Buckingham palace to see the queen, all I remember was being tired and hanging onto the iron gate posts. Those sorts of events are totally lost on kids.

It'll be cold (COLD), they won't understand the significance, you won't be able to gather them close to you and explain what's going on during the 2 seconds of the actual swearing in, bathrooms will be difficult to come by, they'll want to move around, but you'll have to tell them to stay still in one spot, etc, etc, etc...

It sounds like a nightmare.

Now, middle-school aged, or high-school? Yes, I'd take them in a New York Minute. But, preschoolers and 1st graders? Not-ah.

Nope. I wouldn't go. I can't stand crowds that big. I freaked out at Disney one time because it was overly crowded for an anniversary celebration that just happened to fall on my ds's birthday. Never again. Never again. It's not worth the anxiety and you'd probably see it better on tv.

Just my 2 pennies.