Menu

Pennyslvania

We just moved-now we're in Cumberland Co. on the river near the Perry Co. border.

and probably 45 minutes away now or so. Howdy neighbor. We used to live right along rt 34 between the Susquehanna River rt 11/15 and Newport. I love driving along the river-and don't get to as much since I moved. DH used to work in Camp Hill and drive the river route every work day.

and probably 45 minutes away now or so. Howdy neighbor. We used to live right along rt 34 between the Susquehanna River rt 11/15 and Newport. I love driving along the river-and don't get to as much since I moved. DH used to work in Camp Hill and drive the river route every work day.

:seeya:Hi! There is plenty of nature here to enjoy, especially being so close to the river. We're seeing a larger variety of birds than we ever saw in the Philly suburbs. DD & I are also enjoying Wildwood Park in Harrisburg. Fun & free!

:seeya:Hi! There is plenty of nature here to enjoy, especially being so close to the river. We're seeing a larger variety of birds than we ever saw in the Philly suburbs. DD & I are also enjoying Wildwood Park in Harrisburg. Fun & free!

Thanks for the scoop on Wildwood Park! Will definately be checking it out!

Thanks for the scoop on Wildwood Park! Will definately be checking it out!

I have this bookmarked as a place to check out, but we haven't been there yet. Have you participated in any of their programs? If so, were they good? There is one starting in September that looks interesting.

Kids Outdoors (NEW PROGRAM!)

September 8, 2010

Targeted for kids ages 4 – 6, enroll in one or all four of these naturalist-lead programs: Wednesday, September 8 & 22 and October 6 & 27. Each class has a different theme: Bugs; Senses; Prepare for Winter; and Favorite Fall Leaves.

When and Where:
10 – 11 a.m., meet at the Olewine Nature Center

Pre-registration is required.

Fee:
$5 per child

Wildwood is a nice place to go, as is Little Buffalo State Park outside of Newport (they have activities now and again from fossil hunt to wildflower walk) and the Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art over in Millersburg.

• 3 weeks later...
We just moved back to PA 3 weeks ago!

We are in Lancaster and so far loving it.

Dh is originally from the Altoona area and my family was in Germantown.

DH is orinally from Lancaster Co-Peach Bottom to be exact. Most all of his extended family is still there-some of the million Weavers to be found in the phone book....;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ibsys2562
We're here in PA -- Sellersville, south of the Lehigh Valley and Quakertown areas.

I live in Exeter, just outside of Reading in Berks /county. I HS my almost 10 yr old DD and 6 1/2 yr old DS. I also have a 5 yr old DD, 2 yr old DD and 11 week old DD.

• 1 month later...
We're in Lancaster also :) You can't beat all the art shops and cafes.

We're not far from Lancaster. Doodle took some homeschool classes at the Lancaster Science Factory recently that he enjoyed. I need to check out the other great things Lancaster has to offer, but I don't like to drive:tongue_smilie:. Maybe in the spring when I know there will be no chance of ice or snow...

We're not far from Lancaster. Doodle took some homeschool classes at the Lancaster Science Factory recently that he enjoyed. I need to check out the other great things Lancaster has to offer, but I don't like to drive:tongue_smilie:. Maybe in the spring when I know there will be no chance of ice or snow...

Yeah, it's nasty out right now. When we lived in the county, we didn't come into the city much either.

Yeah, it's nasty out right now. When we lived in the county, we didn't come into the city much either.

We're having a 2 hour school delay this morning. I just finished shoveling the driveway. I'm pooped. They do a really great job here of getting the streets cleaned. When I woke up, the road was already cleared.:thumbup:

Lancaster district is closed today, but there was a two hour delay at LCHS. I agree with how quick they are with the roads though :)

WOW! Closed!? When I was a kid, school almost never closed. A 2 hour delay was rarely, if ever, used. At most we had 1 hour delays. Times have surely changed. We're on school day 107, so maybe I'll close our school too and not worry about it!:D

Hi all! A friend from my homeschool co-op recommended this board to me, and so far, it's been fun and helpful. I'm down in the south-central part of PA with my growing collection of munchkins. I can't come up with a good description for how we school -- it's a little bit of all sorts of things, mainly trying to fit in everything else around our historic clothing and craft interests. :) (Waves to Emilia -- I didn't know you were here!)

Hi all! A friend from my homeschool co-op recommended this board to me, and so far, it's been fun and helpful. I'm down in the south-central part of PA with my growing collection of munchkins. I can't come up with a good description for how we school -- it's a little bit of all sorts of things, mainly trying to fit in everything else around our historic clothing and craft interests. :) (Waves to Emilia -- I didn't know you were here!)

Hi there. We are also located in South Central PA. :D

• 4 months later...

Hi!

We are in Northwestern Pa, outside of Meadville. Supposedly our school district has some eighty kids homeschooling but I have yet to find any of them. <sigh>. Maybe, just maybe, someday I'll meet local homeschoolers.......before my kids are all grown, I mean.

I am located in South Central PA- in Hanover. We are about 45 min south of Harrisburg.

Welcome! We are about an hour away from you, even though I'm only 20 mins south of Hbg.

Are you familiar with the children's museum in Gettysburg? It's a wonderful place.

Welcome! We are about an hour away from you, even though I'm only 20 mins south of Hbg.

Are you familiar with the children's museum in Gettysburg? It's a wonderful place.

No, I haven't yet been. I just drove by it the other week and then looked it up online! We are going to check it out this summer. :)

Hi!

We are in Northwestern Pa, outside of Meadville. Supposedly our school district has some eighty kids homeschooling but I have yet to find any of them. <sigh>. Maybe, just maybe, someday I'll meet local homeschoolers.......before my kids are all grown, I mean.

We used to live in Meadville. There was a good size group of (Christian) homeschoolers. Maybe you can get in touch with the person in Crawford County!! ^

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I figured I'd jump on here :) My DH is interviewing at a church in Hollidaysburg, PA next week. The last 1.5 years we've been in West Virginia (horrid place, don't go there, lol!)

Is anyone else in the Altoona/Hollidaysburg area? I'm really hoping I can find a homeschooling group of some kind there.

I keep hearing rumors of a large homeschooling group in Crawford County, but they hide really well because I have never run into them. I know there are eighty homeschoolers listed in our local school district so they must be out there.......We aren't connected with any of the local Christian churches or groups so that is probably the problem.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest JennW

We are just north of Pittsburgh in Hampton Township. Our family relocated to PA from VA last fall and we love it here, even if it did snow almost every single day this winter! We have two young children, an almost 5 year old DD, a 2 year old DS and a 3rd baby on the way, due in January. We will start our first organized learning plan (very light weight) this fall although we won't be official with the state for another few years. We will be experimenting with how we want to achieve our 180 days and playing with lots of organization ideas. We love the Zoo, the Children's Museum, local parks and the Allegheny County library system. My husband works at CMU and I am home with the littles.

Is anyone else in the Altoona/Hollidaysburg area? I'm really hoping I can find a homeschooling group of some kind there.

My sil belongs to a coop in Hollidaysburg that she really loves. I believe it is associated with CHAP. If you end up moving to PA, let me know and I can get you in touch with her.

Take care,

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

The Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo and Conference (PETE&C) is a statewide event that provides quality programs focused on technology in the educational field. Each year, hundreds of exhibitors showcase their latest technology products and services to the vast audience of teachers, administrators, technology directors, school board members and more. Monday and Tuesday mornings kick off with keynote speakers that will both educate and inspire you. Throughout the three days, you can attend concurrent sessions, keystone poster sessions and student showcases. There is something for everyone at PETE&C!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest karemakilah

Hi All,

My husband and I and all 6 kiddies, moved to YORK county from Baltimore this past April. My oldest was enrolled in a lovely tutorial in Maryland, which we will not be using this school year. I would love to learn of any groups/co ops/ tutorials near York.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rainefox, I love your avatar. Those don't look like swimming goggles, what kind of glasses are they?

It's too bad we can't have a giant virtual state map that we could put push-pins in and then ask? Hey, who does this one belong to? cause I'm right over here.

Rainefox, I love your avatar. Those don't look like swimming goggles, what kind of glasses are they?

It's too bad we can't have a giant virtual state map that we could put push-pins in and then ask? Hey, who does this one belong to? cause I'm right over here.

I'm not sure what kind of glasses they are, DH found them somewhere. I think they came with some kind of a joke kit, you know the kind with the fake teeth and a whoopie cushion kind of thing.

I have a picture of DH in them also but that is too scary to use as an avatar :D

We are in Crawford County.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone is in the Elk, Jefferson, Clearfield County areas (right around Ridgway, St. Marys, Dubois, Brockway, Johnsonburg)? I hear there are a lot of HSers around here, but I think they're mostly older and in cyber school.

I see someone is in Crawford County. We go camping at the Meadville KOA, it used to be called Brookdale Family Campground.

We live in Northwest PA,, Corry, PA about 45 miles southeast of Erie. I have four daughters ages 11,9,almost 6 and 2.

I grew up in Corry! How weird that I'd find someone on here from lil ole Corry, PA! My family all still live there so we visit, but I live in upstate NY near my husband's family. Did you go to CAHS?