Menu

How do you view the boards?

How do you view the board?  

1. 1. How do you view the board?

• Linear
    • Hybrid
    • Threaded

On these boards I have to use linear. I can't get threaded to work here. The top box extends way, way over to the right with the scroll bar out of sight. It's very annoying to use so I just stick with linear. It does make it difficult to tell who is being replied to.

I'm technologically challenged, so I had to ask my husband how I view the boards! I found out that it's Llinear/oldest first. He showed me what the other options looked like, but we couldn't see how Hybrid is any different from Threaded. Anyone care to enlighten us?

Thanks,

Chelle

Edited by Chelle in MO
spelling challenged, too

We talked about this a lot in the early days of the new board format. I campaigned then for viewing in hybrid mode and I still believe it's far and away better than the other two options. Viewing in linear doesn't allow one to see a convenient synopsis of the complete conversation.

I'm technologically challenged, so I had to ask my husband how I view the boards! I found out that it's Llinear/oldest first. He showed me what the other options looked like, but we couldn't see how Hybrid is any different from Threaded. Anyone care to enlighten us?

Linear doesn't include the "subject line box" that provides an overview of the entire conversation; it just has all the individual posts.

Threaded provides the afore-mentioned box, but below that, you view only one complete post at a time.

Hybrid is, well, a hybrid.:) The subject line box is there, followed by the individuals posts. As I just said in another reply, it's the best of both worlds, imo.

You don't have an option that says "I have no idea what you're talking about." :lol: I see it however it shows up - newest first, I think.

I'm glad I'm not the only clueless one here!!!:D Mine is oldest first, because that's how it was when I joined. I didn't know you could "alter" it.

Just wondering how people viewed the boards these days. I've noticed a few times when I can definitely tell. "Were you talking to me? Because I didn't say anything about that and your post was below mine." oops.

Hybrid except for when I'm following up on a lengthy thread and want to read the latest posts more readily.

I'm glad I'm not the only clueless one here!!!:D Mine is oldest first, because that's how it was when I joined. I didn't know you could "alter" it.

:iagree: Although I think the hybrid probably is the best of both as Colleen said, I never used a forum before this one and I have only seen it this way so it is all I know and the other is very confusing for someone as challenged by all things computer as I am. :D

Linear for me, but once in a while I opt for hybrid, so I can see who someone is replying to.

Same here -- I'm linear unless there's a post that's just kind of "hanging out there" with no quote and I can't tell what they're responding to. Then I sometimes switch to figure out who they're talking to. Other than that, linear works fine, especially if you click on the little icon that takes you right to the first unread post -- then you don't have to go through all the ones you've already read.

I'm sure there are more bells and whistles that I haven't bothered to figure out -- like hybrid.

How do you change it?

I have never changed mine. Page 1 has posts 1-10, page 2 has posts 11-20, etc. I see them in the order, by time, they were typed. #1, 11, 21, etc are at the top of each page.

I'm afraid to try any other way just because I'll probably be lost a couple days.

Well and...

If snickel types out post #4 but there are 14 pages of posts, then I have to go find her posts to see what Chelle said to her? I don't think I'd do that. I'd choose to miss a lot more if that were the case.

I think I like it my way, but I guess I'd be interested in looking at my options.

Linear doesn't include the "subject line box" that provides an overview of the entire conversation; it just has all the individual posts.

Threaded provides the afore-mentioned box, but below that, you view only one complete post at a time.

Hybrid is, well, a hybrid.:) The subject line box is there, followed by the individuals posts. As I just said in another reply, it's the best of both worlds, imo.

Many thanks for the info, Colleen! I'll go try out the options.

Chelle

Same here -- I'm linear unless there's a post that's just kind of "hanging out there" with no quote and I can't tell what they're responding to. Then I sometimes switch to figure out who they're talking to. Other than that, linear works fine, especially if you click on the little icon that takes you right to the first unread post -- then you don't have to go through all the ones you've already read.

I'm sure there are more bells and whistles that I haven't bothered to figure out -- like hybrid.

Kris, where's the little icon that takes you to the first unread post? I'm sure I need that in my life!

Thanks,

Chelle

Kris, where's the little icon that takes you to the first unread post? I'm sure I need that in my life!

Yeah! It's pretty handy -- I'm not sure how to do this, but it's this little guy right here:

http://67.202.21.157/forums/images/buttons/firstnew.gif

When you pull up the list of threads, it's first on the title line if you have unread posts in that thread. I can't think of a better way to describe it, so I hope you can find it!

Most all of the little icons have "tool tips" when you mouse over them. I guess I spent too much time doing that one night. :lol:

HTH!

Yeah! It's pretty handy -- I'm not sure how to do this, but it's this little guy right here:

http://67.202.21.157/forums/images/buttons/firstnew.gif

When you pull up the list of threads, it's first on the title line if you have unread posts in that thread. I can't think of a better way to describe it, so I hope you can find it!

Most all of the little icons have "tool tips" when you mouse over them. I guess I spent too much time doing that one night. :lol:

HTH!

Well, bless your little heart! It is RIGHT THERE! Thanks for taking time to enlighten me! I need to wear my glasses, I guess.

Chelle

This is the only board of the many i read/visit (and i own one even) that people actually type into the subject line (and mine doesn't let you use the subject when you post a reply). It actually drives me bonkers because i NEVER remember to read "up there" for the first part of the text when reading some threads. I often feel like i'm jumping into the middle of a sentence.... on one board you get your hand slapped for using the subject and answering in it! LOL!!

I read linear btw, the other ones don't fit my way of reading well - and i use it on the other boards i visit using the same software.