Menu

Using CC materials outside of a CC setting

(I also posted this in the Curriculum area ... just wasn't sure where this post fit. Hope that is ok.)

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many threads about Classical Conversations! I have several questions which I am hoping someone involved in CC might be able to answer:

Is it possible to order CC materials and implement them similarly (but not exactly) in your own home without joining a CC community?

Is it possible to order CC materials and use them in a group setting (i.e., where a couple of moms are working through the materials with their children and meet in homes monthly to do review work)?

Is it possible to order CC materials and use them in a co-op setting that is not a CC community? (That is, in a co-op that meets for other classes and then adds a more Classical track for those parents interested in that addition?)

I know there is a huge benefit to joining a CC community and meeting weekly. Accountability is a major motivator and benefit! That being said, the cost of joining a CC community is staggering for many families. I just wondered if there were any families out there that used materials that CC uses (Veritas History Cards, etc.) just maybe in a little different fashion.

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can offer! :)

Is it possible to order CC materials and implement them similarly (but not exactly) in your own home without joining a CC community?

Is it possible to order CC materials and use them in a group setting (i.e., where a couple of moms are working through the materials with their children and meet in homes monthly to do review work)?

Is it possible to order CC materials and use them in a co-op setting that is not a CC community? (That is, in a co-op that meets for other classes and then adds a more Classical track for those parents interested in that addition?)

:)

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

[quote name=seewah;728685Is it possible to order CC materials and use them in a group setting (i.e.' date=' where a couple of moms are working through the materials with their children and meet in homes monthly to do review work)?

:)

I think these are definite possibilities. Or make up your own weekly plans for what you want your kids to learn and find like-minded folks to participate. I tutored this year and personally, I would rather make my own plan and find others to do it with me. There's a lot in CC that is so BEYOND the 3-7 year olds I tutored. I know they are getting exposed to things, but there are things that would be good for them to know that they aren't learning and could... and have more fun with. So much on the lists are abstract ideas.

I'd have the kids learn the books of the OT, NT, more practical English items... one mom could prepare a science experiment each week, the presentations are easy and great...

Just my two cents:o)

BTW, did you know that if you tutor you get paid enough to pay for one or two kids' fees? It's a lot of work, though, since you don't get a lot of background material and have to learn it all on your own before teaching it.

We've really enjoyed the fellowship and accountability with our CC group, though.

Another tip: CC offers free Parent-Training sessions that help explain things (or they may confuse you more:o) It might be worth attending.

Doing it at home depends on what you are looking to do...

Foundations can be done at home. But Essentials and Challenge can't be done at home. Those guides are not available for purchase unless you are in a community.

There are aspects of it that you won't have access to outside a community. CC makes some resources available only through their communities.

Yes, you can meet together with another family or two for support monthly.

While you can do a co-op setting with CC materials because no one would stop you, CC doesn't encourage that.

BTW, did you know that if you tutor you get paid enough to pay for one or two kids' fees? It's a lot of work, though, since you don't get a lot of background material and have to learn it all on your own before teaching it.

Cost can be a factor for some, but yes tutors get paid. Depending on the size of the program it can cover several kids. So this is how most who can't afford it make it happen. Also there are scholarships available locally. We did some locally, and I believe CC is working toward offering scholarship as well.

CC does make background material available through their connected community. That is a very beneficial and time saving resource for tutors and parents.