Menu

Any of your highschoolers taken 2 science classes at a time?

Hi Everyone. Still hanging out here and reading everything I can. I can't wait for the day when I can actually offer some great advice.:)

(I'm back...we just had an earthquake...)

My question is this: Have any of your highschool students taken more than one science class per year? My 16yo has his mind set on taking physics and either advanced biology or advanced chem during his junior year. He also wants to take advanced physics and whichever class he didn't take his junior year during his senior year.

Any experience with this?

TIA:)

My science kid took AP Biology last year and I really do not see how he could have fit a second science class in with that one. Easily he spent 2hrs/day on the class, plus on many weekends he spent a few more hours.

This year he is taking AP Chem and he could fit a second science course in however he is taking 2 math courses (Calculus aiming for the AP BC test and AP Statistics) and an AP Eng course. The Chemistry is, according to him, his easiest class.

The thing I would consider is what else is on his plate the year he takes two science classes? If he takes AP Chem, and AP Physics, and you count the physics as his math course then it might not be too heavy a load. But maybe it would be if he is also doing an advanced English, History, FL,....

Could he take a science course at a CC summer term? Is there some pressing reason he needs to double-up on the science course?

Carole

We're with Carole on this one. AP Biology is so demanding even for our science loving kids that it would take supreme dedication to take another science class simultaneously. That said, my son did do an intensive unit study in a science area after AP Bio wrapped up in early May. I awarded him .25 credits for this additional work.

This year my son is earning two science credits via dual enrollment. He took General Chemistry I at the CC last fall and is currently enrolled in an Intro Microbiology course. This is an alternate path for earning additional credit.

I think the main issue is really how many courses are they taking, not whether two are science or two are maths or english or whatever. I think you need to look at this in terms of how many credits are they trying to take at one time. I would try to keep it to 8 credits as a MAX. I know people who regularly take more than this, but if it is a thorough course it should take the kid at least an hour a day....so that is an 8 hour work day.

For us, as long as we don't try to pack an extra course in on top of a full load, we are okay. The times when we've decided that we just had to have that extra computer science class or whatever, in addition to an already full course load, we've really paid for it. Last year, when ds was a junior, he took 10 credits of work. Life pretty much stank....no free time. But, he learned his lesson as well as kept the grades up....this year he is taking 7 and is happy as a clam.

Just remember that if you double up in one area, you probably will need to reduce in another to maintain sanity.

Just my two cents...

I did in public high school. My sophomore year I took Honors Chemistry (essentially an AP class, 1.5 credits) and Biology. My junior year I took Honors Physics (again, 1.5 credits) and Advanced Biology. I did this while taking a full course load and competing in sports. If your dc is dedicated and really loves science I'd say go for it!

Have any of your highschool students taken more than one science class per year?

It shouldn't be a problem unless your ds doesn't have the necessary prerequisites for each of the sciences. One of my dd's took two math classes simultaneously in high school. This semester she's taking two Poli-Sci classes in college. (She's majoring in Poli-Sci.)

Well, he's been taking his science courses through The Potter's School.

What if I had him start some of his other work over the summer so that his load during the TPS year is not as tough? He will probably be taking calculus (he's working through pre-calc right now) next year, too.

He will also be taking Latin 3 and one other class (we're still deciding) through TPS. So, that will be 4 credits through TPS.

So, maybe the key is to allow him the headstart on his other credits during the summer? He also competes in speech and debate through NCFCA. So, at least our spring time is full of tournaments.

Thinking, thinking, thinking....;)

My ninth grader is taking biology and environmental science this year. There is a HUGE overlap, so it's a good "double." He will be taking the AP environmental science exam. He might take the SATII in bio.

I think the answer to your question depends a lot on the student. A science oriented student might thrive on two sciences at once, whereas another student might drown. You could also have him do the classes in a "block" schedule--all the public high schools around here do that. He would then do all of one science one semester and all of the other, the following semester.

I think the main issue is really how many courses are they taking, not whether two are science or two are maths or english or whatever. I think you need to look at this in terms of how many credits are they trying to take at one time. I would try to keep it to 8 credits as a MAX. I know people who regularly take more than this, but if it is a thorough course it should take the kid at least an hour a day....so that is an 8 hour work day.

Thanks. This is a help to me. We hope to get through some of othe required credits dd HS to take early to allow more time for more than science at a time in her last year or two. Also, we'll have to consider electives, I think.