Menu

Tell me why I don't want to switch from MCP D to Saxon 54.

DB in NJ

Seriously. Talk me out of it. I have a little money in my paypal account, so I the money isn't an issue. ds is struggling with math, and I know Saxon has the features that would help. But GRRRRRR I hate to switch mid-year. I've done it before, and I know it isn't the best idea. And yet....

*sigh*

Seriously. Talk me out of it. I have a little money in my paypal account, so I the money isn't an issue. ds is struggling with math, and I know Saxon has the features that would help. But GRRRRRR I hate to switch mid-year. I've done it before, and I know it isn't the best idea. And yet....

*sigh*

Saxon being spiral/incremental and MCP being basal they could complement each other.:D

Nope. I'm not going to talk you out of it. Go ahead and get Saxon. Keep MCP around in case your ds needs further practice on a topic.

Mandy

Okay, I'll try. :) Would it help if I told you last year we switched from Saxon 54 midyear to something else? I am not familiar with MCP math but I know Saxon (up until 54, when we switched). Before 54 it was fine, but all of a sudden 54 is not scripted and my dd didn't want me to teach her...she wanted to try and get it all from the book. Only she wasn't getting it. Even the DIVE discs weren't helping. It was bad.

So we switched to Math U See Gamma, which was a step back, but she started loving math again. We just finished Delta and are starting Epsilon tomorrow so I don't feel like she is behind now.

Please, not Saxon. I had finally had enough of Saxon when I realized she was learning fractions and division but couldn't even multiply two two-digit numbers together. I know it's the incremental approach, and I decided it was crazy.

Hopefully that's not TMI. I know there are lots of opinions out there...but you asked! ;)

Amy

I do like Saxon so very much, for the younger years, esp. But you'll have to make your own decision, Sweetie! One thing I'd say to do for sure, and that is to give your child the Saxon placement test. We found Saxon was pretty easy early on, but ramped up a bit later (ending in the same place as most other programs, imo). I love Saxon's clever way of tying concepts together, but I do miss the script in 5/4. Dd is in ps now, and I think they use a McGraw Hill program, but she often comments how she's "going to use SAXON next year!" She really liked it, except for a brief period when she didn't understand a few concepts (she was ahead, so we just slowed down, used a workbook from the dollar store for about 2 weeks, and then went back to it).

*sigh*

Hmmm. You have the money. You sound confident that Saxon would help your ds. Why would we talk you out of it, again :001_smile:? Trust your gut on this one.

Math is math, and MCP will work if you use it. It might be more work teaching, time and hair pulling, but it will work if you stick it out. Placement is always something to consider in any program. Many times a little age and review go a long way helping a struggling student. (imofwiw, Switching works many times because the student gets to go back to the beginning a little older and everything is pretty much review for a while.) So it wasn't so much the original program as not ready or needs more time on concepts.

COLOR]

*sigh*

Edited by Tammyla

Thanks guys. I'm going to go spend some more time with MCP and the TM and make my final decision. I used Saxon years ago with my oldest, and it was great from 54 up to and including half of the new 87. At that point we switched to Teaching Textbooks for that particular boy, and it's worked out well.

R&S is too intense for my 9yo. Horizons is too advanced, Singapore ain't my cuppa, nor is ABeka or BJU. MCP seemed like a good fit, but he needs more review. TT's 4th grade program isn't ready yet, and....

Oy. Thanks for your help. I'll be deciding later today.

DB, just wanted to say that I had dd8, who was just finishing Saxon 3 (second grade) take the placement test for TT5, and she tested into it. Really. She's not a super mathy kid at all, although she knows her facts well, and likes math. So, test into TT to see where yours places. You may not need to wait on TT4.

I am no expert, but I didn't like Saxon 54 and above. I switched mid-year FROM saxon to MUS. Everyone is different! Like the above poster, we went from HATING math, crying and taking 2 hours to get it done, to math being the favorite...he does 2 days worth of MUS Gamma in about 20 minutes, and LOVES it. We are on week 21 of it (out of 30) and I am soooo glad I made the switch. So I won't say that switching is a bad idea; in our case it was a GREAT idea, I am VERY VERY happy with MUS again. I just am not a fan of Saxon....but if you are, then that is another story....

DB, just wanted to say that I had dd8, who was just finishing Saxon 3 (second grade) take the placement test for TT5, and she tested into it. Really. She's not a super mathy kid at all, although she knows her facts well, and likes math. So, test into TT to see where yours places. You may not need to wait on TT4.

I agree! My 9yo went from BJU Math 3 to TT Math 5 without a problem this school year! He LOVES it!!!

Thanks guys. I'm going to go spend some more time with MCP and the TM and make my final decision. I used Saxon years ago with my oldest, and it was great from 54 up to and including half of the new 87. At that point we switched to Teaching Textbooks for that particular boy, and it's worked out well.

R&S is too intense for my 9yo. Horizons is too advanced, Singapore ain't my cuppa, nor is ABeka or BJU. MCP seemed like a good fit, but he needs more review. TT's 4th grade program isn't ready yet, and....

Oy. Thanks for your help. I'll be deciding later today.

TT 4 isn't available, but you might find your child will cope just fine with TT 5 - it has a lot of revew in the beginning.

We switched part way through Singapore 4 to TT 5 and ds did so much better.

My 5 kids' feelings about Saxon after 11 years of using it (all levels up to Adv. Math) is that it killed any love for math. I think it's a combination of 2 things....too much drill and the random jumping around from one concept to another. 2 of my kids could not see how one concept related to another. It was like a big jig-saw puzzle that they couldn't put together, especially at the higher levels..

They are now using Horizons/S'p, Chalkdust, and TT. I was afraid to switch out at first, but everyone is much happier now. Just today, I was thinking I'm so glad we're not doing Saxon anymore. DS was having trouble with some concepts due to the Christmas break. It was so nice to just go through the chapter review to find his weak spots and work on those areas. In the past, we might have to wade through many Saxon lessons to review weak spots as the book presents concepts so unsystematically.

Edited by langfam