Menu

Help, my freezer is overflowing with chicken broth. Need recipes to use it up.

We eat a lot of whole chicken cooked in the crockpot which produces LOTS of broth. I've done the usual chicken & dumplings, chicken soup, chicken pot pie, chicken and rice, but we're getting tired of all those. I need some ideas to use up this broth and free up some space in my freezer. Anybody have any good recipes?

I use the recipe from the back of Bush's Great Northern Beans and typically double it; 4 cans beans, 2 cans chicken broth, 2 small cans green chilies, 4 tsp. cumin, cooked onions, and a bunch of shredded chicken (and a little flour to thicken it up a bit). I'm sure there are better recipes out there, but this one is pretty simple...and I like simple! And we all love it. (In fact, that sounds great for tomorrow night!)

Chicken broth and cornstarch make a quick and easy gravy for potatos.

Chicken broth is great to replace the water in savory rice.

You can use it instead of water to cook a roast in the crock pot. It makes the meat taste better than plain water.

I'm going to trade mine to some friends for some of their homemade goodies. I make great chicken stock, if I do say so myself. Ought to be worth some homemade tomato sauce, don't you think? ;)

I set up a grocery swap for next week. My friends will clean out their pantries and bring the things they know will never actually be used, or else they tried and didn't like. Someone else will take them home, and we'll all save a bit of dough. Win/win.