Menu

College-Prep Homeschooling by Byers, PhD

Your complete guide to homeschooling through high school.

Has anyone else read this?

My dh purchased it for me last weekend at Borders.

It's actually geared towards those NOT in high school yet or only starting 9th grade. Kind of a check list of what your child needs to do NOW to be better prepared for college prep level work in highschool.

Very practical.

Of course I don't agree with everything in it, but most of it is stuff we've all talked about on this forum already. Making sure they know how to manage time and use a syllibus for example, with some tips/ideas on how to work that into homeschooling.

Just thought I'd pass this on to anyone interested as I hadn't seen it before and when I did a search here for "Byers" nothing came up.

I checked this out from the library recently, and I was disapointed. I thought the writing style was difficult and the information incomplete. Still, anything that encourages people to homeschool through highschool is a good thing, so I'm glad it is out there. One book I really like on this topic is Homeschooling High School by Jeanne Gowan Dennis. I have checked it out from the library several times and plan to purchace it.

I've also read it and agree with Anissa. I much prefer the Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission book by Jeanne Gowen Dennis.

Now admittedly, I've read just about all the books I could put my hands on that concern homeschooling through high school so a lot of what is in the book is already old news to me. It might be a fine start for someone who is just getting acquainted with the idea of homeschooling at the high school level.

Regards,

Kareni

I've also read it and agree with Anissa. I much prefer the Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission book by Jeanne Gowen Dennis.

Now admittedly, I've read just about all the books I could put my hands on that concern homeschooling through high school so a lot of what is in the book is already old news to me. It might be a fine start for someone who is just getting acquainted with the idea of homeschooling at the high school level.

Regards,

Kareni

oh I agree! it's not a comprehensive book at all. but it is a non-overwhelming start for someone who's trying to evaluate where they are before starting in on highschool, kwim?

About 2 years ago I looked at the Dennis book a a Chen one and it totally made me feel like a failure and I spazed a bit. Okay a LOT.:lol:

Now I'm ready for those and think they are great, but something a bit less stressful to give some basic pointer and things to think on would have been a nice intro back then.;)

Now I'm ready for those and think they are great, but something a bit less stressful to give some basic pointer and things to think on would have been a nice intro back then.;)

I hear you, Martha, and I agree. My advice to anyone starting out is always to read as widely as possible taking from each source what sounds reasonable or workable or that speaks to that person.

Regards,

Kareni