Menu

My kids are gifted in LA and feel they know it all.

Night Elf

We're using Sonlight Core 5 and it's going well. The SL LA program isn't working for them. They hate doing dictation or copywork as it's truly only handwriting practice. They are both super great at vocabulary, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. They test very high on those topics. When they write, their sentences sound really good. They rarely have to edit writings for anything other than thoughts.

So do I truly just drop LA altogether? They are tired of the repetition of the 8 parts of speech and think the more complicated ideas such as identifying phrases as parts of speech is useless. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I know it is a kind of heresy to say this on the WTM forums, but yeah, I'd drop Language Arts if I were you. Keep them writing and editing, throw in some review from time to time, and you all will be much happier. This is what I've done, and my kids always score at the top of LA standardized tests, and both write quite well.

I'd skip to something that allows them to use what they already know. I use Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn English, married to Lightning Literature 7 (started when Calvin was ten - we are taking it slowly!). Both programmes are light on instruction, but introduce interesting texts and challenging topics for composition.

Best wishes

Laura

We're using Sonlight Core 5 and it's going well. The SL LA program isn't working for them. They hate doing dictation or copywork as it's truly only handwriting practice. They are both super great at vocabulary, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. They test very high on those topics. When they write, their sentences sound really good. They rarely have to edit writings for anything other than thoughts.

So do I truly just drop LA altogether? They are tired of the repetition of the 8 parts of speech and think the more complicated ideas such as identifying phrases as parts of speech is useless. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Beth,

SL LA is relaxed-on purpose, especially in Grammar. It sounds like it isn't a good fit for what the kids need.

BTW I do disagree that dictation is just handwriting practice. It trains the ears to hear while writing (for taking notes in lectures), works on spelling, teaches sentences and paragraphs, capitals, quotations, ending punctuation...a whole bunch of those little details as well as working on handwriting. But other than the possibility the hearing piece it sounds like your kids don't need to learn what it teaches, so it just isn't a good fit.

If they want something challenging CW Homer would keep them busy. :D Though that might not line up with your philosophy. It has weekly exercises where you look up words in the thesaurus, and also rewrite sentences in all the different forms (simple subject verb, to a subject verb Direct Object, to a Subject Verb Predicate Nominative, ect...). The purpose is to give yourself as many choices in both words and sentences as possible, so that you can choose the one that will communicate what you want to say the best. But you have to know grammar well to change a sentence from, thus CW includes both parsing and diagramming. But it would keep them busy. :laugh:

Hope you find an answer that works for you.

Heather

BTW I do disagree that dictation is just handwriting practice.

I worded that bit rather poorly. I meant that dictation only seems like handwriting practice for them personally because they do not need practice on the skills that dictation presents.

If they want something challenging CW Homer would keep them busy.

Isn't that an imitative writing program? We haven't been successful with writing programs and I'm using the writing suggestions in our Sonlight core. They are doing a current event and a mini-report each week.

You might look at Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts curriculum available at Royal Fireworks Press.

Love this! I ordered Grammar Town and Grammar Voyage to read through with my dd10 and then let her do the whole series at The Magic Lens level.

I'm still thinking about what to do for my ds12 as I'm contemplating him starting high school level material by spring.

• 2 weeks later...

If they don't find dictation challenging enough, then it's a question of the material being used. Remember, if you are homeschooling there is no need to stay at grade-level. Move them up as soon as they've mastered the material. Dictation can be very challenging even for English majors in college, if you've chosen the appropriate piece.

I would intensify the foreign language instruction, as well. I don't know what you are using now but learning Spanish and German improved my understanding of English grammar greatly.