Menu

Movie talk! Kung Fu Panda, Wall*E, Mamma Mia, & Slumdog Millionaire.

I don't go to mainstream movie theatres ~ most of my boys never even been to one (the horror!;)) ~ and often the first I hear about movies is on this board. Like a while back when Nan (nancypants) posted about Wall*E; I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Or when people around me mentioned Kung Fu Panda, it took me a while to figure out they were talking about a movie.:tongue_smilie:

Any-hoo, we watched both of these on New Year's Eve. I was very interested in seeing Wall*E and fully expected to enjoy it; Kung Fu Panda, on the other hand, elicited a "meh" out of me when my boys chose it. So imagine my surprise when my reaction to the films was switched around. I admit it, I absolutely loved Kung Fu Panda. ("There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness." I love that line.:D) I thought the story line was great, the effects excellent, and the casting superb. After watching it with my boys, I got into all the bonus material on the DVD and totally enjoyed actually seeing Jack Black and the rest "play" their characters. There was a special feature about the sound effects that was interesting, too. Imagine playing around making strange noises for a movie? What a cool job. The very next day we watched the movie again and I plan to buy it soon. I am not a person who has an interest in watching most animated movies or Disney, btw, but I really can't say enough good things about this one.

As for Wall*E...Like I said, I expected to enjoy it. I wanted to enjoy it. I'd read a lot about it, knew the storyline. With a 96% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes it seems like only the clueless few don't enjoy it. Well...count me in with that 4% because I was totally non-plussed. I had to force myself to pay attention to the whole thing and I swear by the end I was going to reach into the screen and throttle those (@#*$& robots if I heard them utter, "Wall*E!" "Eva!" in their annoying robotic voices one more time. I have to wonder if all the praise was a bit of a bandwagon. Of course the animation was stellar, but I need more than that. I need a story I care about and I just couldn't summon a whole lotta interest in Wall*E.

The next night I endured a different ~ what shall I say? ~ distaste altogether. In the case of Wall*E, I knew it was a well-made movie; it just wasn't one that held my interest. Mamma Mia! was a different matter altogether. And btw, my husband is the one who wanted to rent this. Yes, I'm married to the one man in the universe who thoroughly enjoys chick flicks.:lol: Despite the fact that I've had a love affair with ABBA since I was age 7, I never wanted to see this musical and the movie didn't interest me, either. The thought of hearing someone else sing ABBA tunes...It's not kosher, kwim? Still, once Hans started the movie, I settled in thinking it'd be a couple of hours of frivolous fun.

Oh, dear. Words can not describe how bad this movie is. Okay, okay. There are a few good points. The scenery, for example. Looking at a lovely Greek island is always pleasant. And mamma mia! how on earth does Pierce Brosnan look that delicious in what has to be his mid-50s? (Now if he just hadn't opened his mouth to sing...) For that matter, how can Meryl Streep be on the verge of turning 60? She looks incredible! And no doubt, she and everyone else had a blast making this movie. I mean, who wouldn't? We're in Greece! We're singing! We're dancing! We're sailing! We're getting paid a bundle to make fools of ourselves! But as film critic Kenneth Turan wrote, beware of films where the people on the screen are enjoying themselves more than the people in the audience. Apologies to those (like Hans:)) who got a kick out of it, but it's earned a place on my Top Ten Worst Movies Ever list.

And now a question: Has anyone here seen Slumdog Millionaire yet and if so, what'd you think of it?

Edited by Colleen

He is usually the one crying at the end, too. (Even commercials and picture books can get him choked up.) It is endearing, partly because he isn't at all emotional in real life, LOL!

I'd love to chat about Wall*E and Kung Fu Panda, but dh is the one who watches the kids movies, too. I'm usually cleaning up dinner dishes, or some other mundane thing (like blogging :tongue_smilie:). I really need to work on my 'sit down and watch a movie from beginning to end' skills. I just asked him which movie he liked better, and he said Wall*E... but he is a techie guy.

Haven't watched the other two. Just watched Bella a couple days ago and it really touched me. Very unexpected.

I don't go to mainstream movie theatres ~ most of my boys never even been to one (the horror!;)) ~ and often the first I hear about movies is on this board. Like a while back when Nan (nancypants) posted about Wall*E; I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Or when people around me mentioned Kung Fu Panda, it took me a while to figure out they were talking about a movie.:tongue_smilie:

Any-hoo, we watched both of these on New Year's Eve. I was very interested in seeing Wall*E and fully expected to enjoy it; Kung Fu Panda, on the other hand, elicited a "meh" out of me when my boys chose it. So imagine my surprise when my reaction to the films was switched around. I admit it, I absolutely loved Kung Fu Panda. ("There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness." I love that line.:D) I thought the story line was great, the effects excellent, and the casting superb. After watching it with my boys, I got into all the bonus material on the DVD and totally enjoyed actually seeing Jack Black and the rest "play" their characters. There was a special feature about the sound effects that was interesting, too. Imagine playing around making strange noises for a movie? What a cool job. The very next day we watched the movie again and I plan to buy it soon. I am not a person who has an interest in watching most animated movies or Disney, btw, but I really can't say enough good things about this one.

As for Wall*E...Like I said, I expected to enjoy it. I wanted to enjoy it. I'd read a lot about it, knew the storyline. With a 96% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes it seems like only the clueless few don't enjoy it. Well...count me in with that 4% because I was totally non-plussed. I had to force myself to pay attention to the whole thing and I swear by the end I was going to reach into the screen and throttle those (@#*$& robots if I heard them utter, "Wall*E!" "Eva!" in their annoying robotic voices one more time. I have to wonder if all the praise was a bit of a bandwagon. Of course the animation was stellar, but I need more than that. I need a story I care about and I just couldn't summon a whole lotta interest in Wall*E.

The next night I endured a different ~ what shall I say? ~ distaste altogether. In the case of Wall*E, I knew it was a well-made movie; it just wasn't one that held my interest. Mamma Mia! was a different matter altogether. And btw, my husband is the one who wanted to rent this. Yes, I'm married to the one man in the universe who thoroughly enjoys chick flicks.:lol: Despite the fact that I've had a love affair with ABBA since I was age 7, I never wanted to see this musical and the movie didn't interest me, either. The thought of hearing someone else sing ABBA tunes...It's not kosher, kwim? Still, once Hans started the movie, I settled in thinking it'd be a couple of hours of frivolous fun.

Oh, dear. Words can not describe how bad this movie is. Okay, okay. There are a few good points. The scenery, for example. Looking at a lovely Greek island is always pleasant. And mamma mia! how on earth does Pierce Brosnan look that delicious in what has to be his mid-50s? (Now if he just hadn't opened his mouth to sing...) For that matter, how can Meryl Streep be on the verge of turning 60? She looks incredible! And no doubt, she and everyone else had a blast making this movie. I mean, who wouldn't? We're in Greece! We're singing! We're dancing! We're sailing! We're getting paid a bundle to make fools of ourselves! But as film critic Kenneth Turan wrote, beware of films where the people on the screen are enjoying themselves more than the people in the audience. Apologies to those (like Hans:)) who got a kick out of it, but it's earned a place on my Top Ten Worst Movies Ever list.

And now a question: Has anyone here seen Slumdog Millionaire yet and if so, what'd you think of it?

I'm seeing Slumdog on Monday night. I've heard it's great and hope it lives up to the hype.

I saw all three of the other movies in the theatre. Kung Fu is pretty much standard Jack Black. You maybe a Jack Black fan and didn't know it.

The two hours I spent in the theatre seeing Mama Mia are, unfortunately, forever lost along with the $9.50 I paid (plus popocorn).

If you haven't already seen it, a really great animated movie is The Incredibles.

Right there with you on Wall-E.

All I could think was that he looked like some weird love-child of R2D2 and ET. I could hear the creative meetings in my head about it! I read later that the guy who did the sounds for R2D2 also did the sounds for Wall-E. So I called that one, I guess.

And Eva looks like an I-Pod. It's likely intentional and from the same creative meetings, but I felt a bit pandered to. And she scared the he** out of DD1.

And DISNEY giving a big condescending lesson on the evils of consumerism??? PLEASE!!!

But I was also the only weirdo who didn't like Batman, too. I'm so over the moral relativism theme...good appears bad, bad appears good, can we really judge?.... I just couldn't get into it. However, seeing an 18-wheeler handstanding in the middle of LaSalle Street -- well, that was beyond cool!!!!:D

We watched both of these on New Year's Eve. ...I admit it, I absolutely loved Kung Fu Panda. ("There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness." I love that line.:D) I thought the story line was great, the effects excellent, and the casting superb. After watching it with my boys, I got into all the bonus material on the DVD and totally enjoyed actually seeing Jack Black and the rest "play" their characters. There was a special feature about the sound effects that was interesting, too.

note: how in the world did you have time to do all that in one evening?

As for Wall*E...Like I said, I expected to enjoy it. I was totally non-plussed. I had to force myself to pay attention to the whole thing ...

Which movie did you watch first on New Year's Eve? Because Wall-E is really, really LONG. Did you perhaps watch it after enjoying Kung-Fu Panda and didn't have the patience for it? I loved Wall-E and saw it twice in the theater (within a few days). It is NOT for little kids (even my 9-yo was VERY concerned about Wall-E when he got thrown down the trash chute and he actually yelled at the screen! But he cried, and he does not cry easily. I cried, and I do not cry easily. Were you really not moved when he takes care of Eva even though she really "isn't there" to know what he is doing? Or when she saw the security video and realized what he had done for her?

Didn't like Kung Fu Panda. Well, I liked the relationship between him and his dad, and how his dad is so content being a noodle soup seller and can't imagine that the panda would want to do anything else.

Which reminds me....there is a kid's book called "The Bear Who Wanted to be a Bear." Tee-hee. Yep, it's a Buddhist book.

Haven't seen Mamma Mia, but I probably agree with you on that one.

Julie

I agree with your observations entirely (except that I expected to like Kung Fu and not like WallE so much ... and I was right! lol).

Kung Fu Panda is quite possibly my favorite animated movie ever ( Well, after The Iron Giant, I guess. I adore that movie... :D). I laughed more than I have in years the first time we watched KFP at the theater. :lol:

Mamma Mia was ... awful (and I generally like cheesy musicals, lol). Pierce Brosnan should never, ever sing outside of the shower. :lol: The ending really was the final straw. (I just vented about it, but that might spoil someone else. So, I'll just say that the thing-that-didn't-happen-at-the-end-of-the-movie really irked me for the reasons they gave. Ridiculous.)

Edited by orangearrow

I

So, I'll just say that the thing-that-didn't-happen-at-the-end-of-the-movie really irked me for the reasons they gave. Ridiculous.)

And yet, the reviewer for Time magazine called the character who decided not to do the thing-that-didn't-happen the movie's "one sensible character." Now every scene with her, I think "There's the movie's one sensible character - the one who never does anything sensible!!!!!"

I bought Wall*E for ds for Christmas. We had tried to rent it when it first came out, but at the time the video store couldn't keep enough in stock. DS loved it. I fell asleep in it.

Mamma Mia has been advertised so much on TV, that was my clue that it wasn't worth seeing!

I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda. I thought it looked too cutsie from the ads. We just may have to rent it now from your recommendation.

OK, I'll bite on this topic......loved KFP, Wall-ee...ok, wouldn't see mama mia if someone paid me, tho. Now here's a new one that took me by surprise....Bolt. In general we don't care too much for Dreamworks, but this was a really entertaining one, without the usual sarcastic, obnoxious type of humor that often shows up in their movies (Shark Tales was a great example...ugh!). It was very funny, had lots of action, and was "awwww" cute as well. Really something for everyone. Of course we like Incredibles (just about anything Pixar actually) like the others said. Sorry no reviews of Slumdog Millionaire. I didn't expect to like Bolt, but I did. I like being pleasantly surprise. It helped that we have had lots of hamsters for pets, and there is a hamster in the movie :o). DH got both Batmans for Christmas, and everyone likes those (oldes dd 17 loves discussing the philosophical twists and turns in Dark Knight). So there you are.

Kayleen

It is NOT for little kids (even my 9-yo was VERY concerned about Wall-E when he got thrown down the trash chute and he actually yelled at the screen! But he cried, and he does not cry easily. I cried, and I do not cry easily. Were you really not moved when he takes care of Eva even though she really "isn't there" to know what he is doing? Or when she saw the security video and realized what he had done for her?

I disagree with this first part. I think Wall-E is a great movie for little kids because there is so little dialog. My youngest sat through the entire thing in the theater when he was 2, and he loves to watch the DVD.

I haven't seen either of the other movies (although my oldest saw KFP with friends and his verdict was "meh") but Wall-E is a big hit with everyone here.

I did like Wall*E, more than you did, but definitely liked Kung Fu Panda better. If you liked the sound effects information on KFP, they have the same thing on the Wall*E DVD. Very, very interesting.

I watched Mamma Mia last week and was completely underwhelmed. Pierce Brosnan may be gorgeous, but he cannot sing. In fact, many of the people in that movie cannot sing. I bet the stage version is better because they choose people based on singing abilities, not name recognition (for the most part).

I did see a brief interview with Meryl Streep and she mentioned that the movie had a low budget and was made very quickly. That may account for some of the problems with it. Still, I had planned on buying MM if I liked it, but I will not be doing that after having seen it. Blech.

Our favorite kids movies right now are The Incredibles and Meet the Robinsons.

I have not seen Wall-E or KF Panda yet (they are on the queue). Mama Mia (yuck).. sorry loved a couple other movies that heavily use Abba music much better. I have not see Slumdog Millionaire, but my parents have. We tend to agree on most movies, and they loved it. I'm a fan of most all of Danny Boyle's pix, so I can't wait to see it.

I loved Wall-E. Wall-E was so faithful to his job and his little roach friend. And he loved Eve so much (reminded me of Forest Gump). And the captain of the ship...I loved when he stayed up the whole night with computer.

The credits are like a art history lesson, too. I loved that.

I enjoyed Wall-e immensely, and I believe much of my enjoyment can be summed up in three little words: NO POTTY HUMOR. (Pardon the shout.) Why, oh why do entertainment companies feel the need to insert a tasteless joke related to some body function or another every 5 minutes? I, for one, am careful to remind dd that polite individuals- both children and adults- do not make those sorts of jokes. It's quite refreshing, imo, to find a feature length film without such references. I am sure many will disagree with me, but I think the obsession with such humor is just another sign of the desensitization of our children (and ourselves, for those of us who were dragged through it) by the US public school system.

-Robin

Wall-E did absolutely nothing for me or most of the people we were watching with. We watched it at Halloween with a mixed age group of kids and adults. I will say the two year old was enthralled. I guess it's just not my style . . . I think I like words . . .

Mama Mia . . . oh my. I loved remembering the ABBA songs but at times I wondered if my t.v. sound was going, the singing was so bad.

I'm happy you posted this because I was beginning to feel funny hearing all the praises about these two movies and not enjoying them myself.

(Okay I admit to singing along with some of the ABBA songs . . . my son kept coming out of his room asking me why I was singing.)

We watched this last night. Let's just say I will never think of "Dancing Queen" quite the same. If you've seen the movie, you probably know I'm talking about something in the last scene and not that particular number. I didn't see it coming. I missed two references. My family had to rewind it for me. I'm still recovering.

I agree with much of what you said about it. The scenery was beautiful. Meryl Streep looked fabulous, and I think she did quite well with the singing. Sophie was gorgeous, but she looked more like 16 than 20 to us. I would love to have or plan a wedding like that! I would love to live in that crumbling hotel! Yes, it did look like they were having so much fun making that movie. I really enjoyed several of the numbers, especially "Dancing Queen" and the one at the end with *everyone* dancing. It made me want to dance too! Pierce Brosnan? Eh. I've never seen the attraction. Colin Firth is not particularly attractive to me physically, but there is something endearing about him. (Hence my distress.) The other guy's character was appealing. The general storyline was interesting. It seems like it coulda shoulda worked. And yet, FLOP. It still made me long for a vacation or a lifetime in Greece.

("There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness." I love that line.:D)

I love that line, too, lol...but I think I'm a Jack Black fan, and just didn't realize it.

My (older) kids tried to get me to watch School of Rock for the longest time, and when I finally did...my jaw dropped a couple of times, because the Jack Black character in that says a few things that...sound like me, lol. (Is that a good thing to confess on a homeschooling board?!)

I didn't care for Mamma Mia. I mean, yes...Meryl Streep is, well, Meryl Streep, and Winner Takes All was breathtaking (so was Pierce Brosnan, lol)...but the rest of it, I didn't care for. (Oldest dd and I saw it with friends in the theater).

But I liked WALL*E. The kids did, too. It was simple, had a sweet love story and an interesting message ("This is farming!" cracked me up), and I liked the EVE character's giggle and propensity to blow things up first, and ask questions later (identified with her, I guess).

Haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, but wasn't it you that mentioned liking Bleak House? I'm watching that now and LOVE it! Seriously...I've considered buying it, and I'm not generally one who buys a lot of DVDs.

Once is on my list, too. Someday, lol. ;-)

My kidlets loved both Wall-E and KFP. I haven't sat through Wall-E yet but the parts I did see didn't catch my interest. I'm like that with animated movies though. I loved KFP. Mama Mia! I don't really have any interest in seeing and my dh doesn't like so musicals so I doubt I ever will. So, I don't have any judgment on that one having not seen it.

Haven't seen Wall*E or Panda, although my daughter saw the latter and enjoyed it. I did have to endure watching Mamma Mia because my husband's family watched in on Christmas Day evening. Yuck. I thought it was just horrible. My sisters-in-law all count it as one of their favorite movies. Sorry, I just don't see it. I do love the music and thought Meryl Street did a pretty good job, but Pierce Brosnan was so BAD!! If I were him I'd be embarrassed by this movie.

He is usually the one crying at the end, too. (Even commercials and picture books can get him choked up.) It is endearing, partly because he isn't at all emotional in real life, LOL!

Yep, that's Hans. Years ago when we first met we were talking on the phone and he was telling me about a really good "movie" he saw on tv that made him cry. I was intrigued and started asking questions to figure out just what movie it might be. I'm thinking, "Well, yeah, even a grown man might shed tears over Schindler's List or such fare". Eventually my interrogation uncovered the fact that the "movie" was a television show called "Sisters". You may not recall the show, but I think the name alone explains my surprise.:D

Just watched Bella a couple days ago and it really touched me. Very unexpected.

I had that sitting here for a few weeks and never got around to watching it before it was due back at the library. I'll be sure to check it out again ~ and actually watch it this time.:)

I'm seeing Slumdog on Monday night. I've heard it's great and hope it lives up to the hype.

Let us know what you think. I'd hoped to get to it while it's at my local indy cinema, but it looks like I won't get a chance.

Kung Fu is pretty much standard Jack Black. You maybe a Jack Black fan and didn't know it.

I've been subjected to some other Jack Black fare while on flights and no, I woudn't describe myself as a fan. I just think he was a perfect fit for this.

The two hours I spent in the theatre seeing Mama Mia are, unfortunately, forever lost along with the $9.50 I paid (plus popocorn).

Oh, dear. I can not imagine how annoyed I would've been had I forked over the money to see this in a theatre.

If you haven't already seen it, a really great animated movie is The Incredibles.

Yeah, my guys watched and enjoyed that. I was sitting there while they watched but the movie didn't pique my interest enough to pay close attention. Some day I'll have to give it another go.

wasn't it you that mentioned liking Bleak House? I'm watching that now and LOVE it! Seriously...I've considered buying it, and I'm not generally one who buys a lot of DVDs.

I'm planning on watching "Bleak House" again soon. It is so worth owning ~ and I am forever grateful that our WTM friend Kate CA gifted it to me last year for my birthday. A truly stellar production.

Once is on my list, too.

Once was my favorite film of 2008. I didn't catch it in the theatre but I've borrowed it twice from the library and could easily watch it again. The soundtrack is great, too.

I enjoyed Wall-e immensely, and I believe much of my enjoyment can be summed up in three little words: NO POTTY HUMOR. (Pardon the shout.) Why, oh why do entertainment companies feel the need to insert a tasteless joke related to some body function or another every 5 minutes?

Yes, that's one reason mainstream animated movies aren't standard fare for us. I did appreciate that about Wall-E, but the same is true of Kung Fu Panda; it wasn't peppered with rude humor, either. There are actually a surprising number of good movies out there that I can comfortably enjoy with my children.

Which movie did you watch first on New Year's Eve? Because Wall-E is really, really LONG. Did you perhaps watch it after enjoying Kung-Fu Panda and didn't have the patience for it?

After I read your reply, I realized we actually hadn't watched both on the same evening. (I feel like the past two snowy weeks are all just blurred together.:tongue_smilie:) On New Year's Eve the boys watched Ratatouille again, which we'd all seen before. Then later we watched Kung Fu Panda together. After midnight when the boys had gone to bed, I watched the bonus footage for KFP. And after that I watched two episodes of "Northern Exposure".:) The next day is when we watched Wall-E.

Were you really not moved when he takes care of Eva even though she really "isn't there" to know what he is doing? Or when she saw the security video and realized what he had done for her?

Nope, I wasn't. I just never got invested in them. Keep in mind that as a child I disliked the vastly-popular ET. Oh, how that creature annoyed me! On the other hand, I loved the original Star Wars, including R2D2 and C3PO.