Menu

Natural Speller Users

AudreyTN

How exactly do you implement this?

I had dd7 orally do the lists until I found where she should start. She only missed a total of 5 words in level 1-2, BUT I'd ask her the next day and she'd spell it right.

So, could you maybe share what a weekly schedule might look like? and how you incorporate the activites?

Thanks a lot! :D

We don't do it orally. Ds writes words on a table-top white board. He hates to write, but doesn't mind so much on the whiteboard.

You could do this orally, but you would want to keep lessons very short. If your dd doesn't write much, consider writing the words for your dd as she dictates the spelling. That would allow her to see the words and remember them better.

Here's what we do, about once or twice a week:

We go through the lists: I give ds a word, and he writes it down. If he gets it right, I just go to the next word. If he misses it, I tell him how to spell it, and have him write it two more times. I also circle the word, lightly, in pencil, in my book. Then, I go on to the next word in the list.

After he's had a few successful words, I go back and give him the word he missed. If he misses it again, I tell him how to spell it (and, depending on his mood, I might have him write it two more times). I keep it circled in my book, though. Then, I go on to the next word.

We keep on like this until either he's missed several words, and he's starting to get frustrated, or, we've been at it about 15 minutes, and he's starting to get bored and agitated. Then, I mark our place, and we simply put it away.

The next spelling day (we don't do spelling every day), I start with words I know he can spell, to give him confidence. I stealthily move on to new words, and periodically stick in a word he missed previously. If he gets it right, I congratulate him and ceremoniously erase the circle from around the word in my book. If he misses it again, I tell him how to spell it and have him write it two more times. Then, I go on to more new words.

If the word becomes a problem (he misses it three days in a row), I have him go through memory exercises: I have him look at the word and say the spelling, then close his eyes and draw the word in the air as he says the letters, then have him open his eyes and write it big with his finger on the table, then have him write it on the white board again. I have him write it a few times, correctly. Then, I put it away until the next spelling lesson.

The next lesson, I start with "easy" words, then stick that one in. If he gets it right, I congratulate him, and swoon, and tell him he's wonderful, and ceremoniously erase the circle from around the word. :)

As for activities, I periodically have him add -s, -ed, or -ing to words he already knows how to spell. I don't do that with words he's struggling to learn to spell.

I have a 11yodd, and I make her do a lot more work (vocabulary, alphabetizing, verb forms, etc.) But, I keep it simple and straightforward for my ds.

I started using it this year for 4th grade. I made up word lists over the summer using 2-3 phonetical groups. The lists are 10-20 words per week.

Monday : review list, orally discuss meanings and write them out

Tuesday - Thursday: he reviews the list daily, we vary our activities from making funny sentences with the words, dividing words into syllables, looking up definitions, writing words into a sentence. Also on Thursday we do a final review

Friday: test on list. my son is an auditory learner and sometimes we do oral tests.

I appreciate the answers... Thanks. I'd still like to see what others do.

My dd doesn't have a writing phobia or anything. I just thought it would be faster to "place" her orally. We would do about 5 lists at a time. I know it's a lot... I just sort of went until I felt she was getting bored. I didn't push her.

I've only "placed" her I haven't really started any lessons yet.