Menu

Christians called to mass exodus from Public Schools...

These articles always make me chuckle a bit... because when I "exited" the public schools in the 80's, the churches were proclaiming how "wrong" this was... we were supposed to be missionaries in the schools, and by leaving, we weren't fullfilling the Great Commission...

It's really not a call to Christians, just certain Christians (as evidenced by the way liberals and those on the left are framed as the "other"). I'm not a fan of this kind of thing that frames actions by christians in battle language or pretends Christians are all conservative people with a huge case of think-alike.

I agree with the article. I have listened to Voddie Bauchum (sp?) sermons and he has very valid points. I don't think it is for all "Christians" because so many Christians today are of the lukewarm variety that the Bible says He will spew out of his mouth. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouthĂ¢â‚¬ (Revelation 3:16).

This isn't the first "exodus" as others have stated.

I don't buy the line that our dc need to be missionaries to the other kids. I wouldn't send my 5yo to Africa by himself to be "salt and light," and quite frankly I think that a kindy-teacher *with a politcal agenda* is much more dangerous than Africa!

I think to call "all Christians" to make this decision to HS pr private school is short-sited. There are always cases where the school is the best option for a certain child/family. Let's not guilt a parent for being "not Christian enough" for simply making a decision for the best for THEIR child.

That said: I HS for both academic and religious reasons and would move heaven and earth before sending my ds5 to the ps system here (for both reasons). I don't fault other parents, Christian or not, for sending their dc.

It's really not a call to Christians, just certain Christians (as evidenced by the way liberals and those on the left are framed as the "other"). I'm not a fan of this kind of thing that frames actions by christians in battle language or pretends Christians are all conservative people with a huge case of think-alike.

:iagree: What a sad, disturbing article.

astrid

Edited by astrid
spelling! UGH!

I don't like being called by ministries to do anything frankly. I don't mind being informed of a situation, but do not call me to do something thank you very much. One of the couple of reasons I stopped listening to Focus on the Family.

Karen, the conservative Christian

I don't like being called by ministries to do anything frankly. I don't mind being informed of a situation, but do not call me to do something thank you very much. One of the couple of reasons I stopped listening to Focus on the Family.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Dawn, another conservative Christian

"My faith is built on nothing less

Than Spurgeon's notes and Crossway Press."

What, you mean your calling and conviction doesn't come from an organization? ;-)

Pamela, the former conservative Christian

Yes, if "interesting" is on par with "disturbing" then I consider this an interesting article. I'd rather not this ministry or any other spend its energy "rescuing" children from public schools. I'll just stand over here with Karen and Dawn in the "Do Not Call" corner.;)

Amen, and amen.

Well...that is interesting.

It is articles like this that proclaim to have all the answers to make people better Christians, that alienate people and cause non-Christians to want to stay far away.

Nakia,

another conservative Christian

Who are you comfortable being called by (other than God, obviously)? Prophets in the Bible were always calling on people to do things and were rather unpopular as a result. I don't know enough about this guy to decide if what he's saying is from the Lord, but there always exists the possibility that God will use people to call his people in a direction.

I agree with the article. I have listened to Voddie Bauchum (sp?) sermons and he has very valid points. I don't think it is for all "Christians" because so many Christians today are of the lukewarm variety that the Bible says He will spew out of his mouth. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouthĂ¢â‚¬ (Revelation 3:16).

I'm sorry, but I disagree. In fact this comment and the mentality shown in the article make me want to "spew". Again, I'm sorry, but they really do. This implies that Christians who do not agree with this assessment of public schools and pull their children out to homeschool them or send them to private schools are "lukewarm Christians" unwilling to take a stand for God and do what His Word says. That's simply not true.

Who are you comfortable being called by (other than God, obviously)? Prophets in the Bible were always calling on people to do things and were rather unpopular as a result. I don't know enough about this guy to decide if what he's saying is from the Lord, but there always exists the possibility that God will use people to call his people in a direction.

Possibly. But I do think some Christian ministries create a boogie man out of the secular world. I don't mind someone writing a reasoned report or giving seminars or what have you, but I prefer making the choice for myself, with my husband of course, through prayer, discussion, and the studying of God's word (perfect scenario.)

:lol: I'd not heard that one. I'll have to share it with dh!

I adapted it from the one from my own background which is

"My hope is built on nothing less

Than Scofield's notes and Scripture Press."

Other variations are "Scofield's notes and references" and "Scofield's notes and Moody Press." But in our circles, Moody Press was too liberal to be singing satrical songs about, so that variation was rejected.

Dispensational Independent Baptists, doncha know.

Well...that is interesting.

It is articles like this that proclaim to have all the answers to make people better Christians, that alienate people and cause non-Christians to want to stay far away.

Nakia,

another conservative Christian

You're right.

Pam, a non-christian

You're right.

Pam, a non-christian

:iagree:

Others have mentioned this is an "old hat." I fully expect yet another one of these articles trotted out in about 2 years. That seems to be the alarm cycle on these "calls." :001_rolleyes:

Maybe someone should suggest a mass exodus of the public schools, just because. Because we spend to much money on the schools...at all the wrong levels.... Because officials always spend more of our money, more quickly than they would their own. Because, I have to get by with under $1000 a year for my children, plus the loss of income from a job...when they get to spend over $10,000 a student...and then ask for bonds to build more school buildings. Hmmm...

Carrie:-)

There's a difference between God directing, say, Jonah to tell the people of Ninevah that they were going to be destroyed if they didn't repent, and some random guy telling Christians to take their children out of public schools.

Guest janainaz

I agree.

Guest janainaz

On that note, I think there aught to be a mass exodus of the "church".

It's like getting on the bus with the pastor as bus driver and staring at the back of people's heads. No thanks.

I get what you're saying, and it's a good question to ask.

But you know what? There always exists the possibility that actual Christians teach in public schools, too, and that they do so out of a sense of divine calling.

There always exists the possibility that actual Christians teach in public schools, too, and that they do so out of a sense of divine calling.

Of course. And they have a good deal of influence. Though I had teachers in middle and high school who were afraid to share their faith lest they get in trouble. So there's a limit to what they can do. Children, especially younger ones, are more likely to be influenced than to do the influencing.

But are Christian parents sending their kids to public school because God has called them to or because that's the most convenient school option for them? I get "I could never homeschool" and "It's so much easier to have them in school" just as much from Christians as non-Christians.

A good reminder. Not only are all Christians not conservative but all con. Christians do not think alike.

If all Christians took their kids out of public schools, the non Christians probably wouldn't mind because their children would get a lot more money spent on their kids' educations. :party:

All the Christians might be "absent", but our tax money would still be "present".

Yvette

Another conservative Christian, if you want to call me that.

But you know what? There always exists the possibility that actual Christians teach in public schools, too, and that they do so out of a sense of divine calling.

And there's a difference between adults choosing to teach in public schools and young children being thrust into the battle field.

And there's a difference between adults choosing to teach in public schools and young children being thrust into the battle field.

You think of schools as a battle field?

I don't think they are a pleasant place to spend 6 to 8 hours a day. And my own son was so well behaved that he was always seated next to the most troublesome children. Since I didn't feel it was my 10yo's responsibility to be a social worker in the school system, that was one of many reasons we pulled him out. And I do think the system is totally (excuse my language) effed up, I don't consider it a battle field.

That is a slippery slope to walk. I personally expect God to speak to ME PERSONALLY about decisions regarding my family - not my pastor, or some nationally admired leader. God does use people and circumstances in our lives, but we have the Holy Spirit now (as opposed to Old Testament times....when prophets were widely used of God) and God speaks directly to us. (not to get into a theological debate........:001_smile:)

Now - I would put more thought into a person "outing" wrongs found in the system and urging parents to think/pray over it. CALLING them to make a mass exodus has a whole 'nuther tone.

I adapted it from the one from my own background which is

"My hope is built on nothing less

Than Scofield's notes and Scripture Press."

Other variations are "Scofield's notes and references" and "Scofield's notes and Moody Press." But in our circles, Moody Press was too liberal to be singing satrical songs about, so that variation was rejected.

Dispensational Independent Baptists, doncha know.

:lol: I will think of you next time we sing that one! :lol:

Maybe someone should suggest a mass exodus of the public schools, just because. Because we spend to much money on the schools...at all the wrong levels.... Because officials always spend more of our money, more quickly than they would their own. Because, I have to get by with under $1000 a year for my children, plus the loss of income from a job...when they get to spend over $10,000 a student...and then ask for bonds to build more school buildings. Hmmm...

Carrie:-)

Try that one on the nightly news!!!!:tongue_smilie::lol:

I feel very stronly that God might call me to teach in the ps system - AFTER I have raised/taught my own family. That is truly a valid thought!

You think of schools as a battle field?

I don't think they are a pleasant place to spend 6 to 8 hours a day. And my own son was so well behaved that he was always seated next to the most troublesome children. Since I didn't feel it was my 10yo's responsibility to be a social worker in the school system, that was one of many reasons we pulled him out. And I do think the system is totally (excuse my language) effed up, I don't consider it a battle field.

oh, i dunno......

one of the reasons I homeschool is because of the daily onslaught of the negative social carp in the schools. Maybe not a literal physical battlefield [altho that makes the news too often] but an emotional/psychological battlefield where you are on guard for power plays? oh. yeah.

oh, i dunno......

one of the reasons I homeschool is because of the daily onslaught of the negative social carp in the schools. Maybe not a literal physical battlefield [altho that makes the news too often] but an emotional/psychological battlefield where you are on guard for power plays? oh. yeah.

Stop the presses! That's twice now that we agree about something!

I thought Ellie and the original article posted were referring to a battlefield for God. You know, Christians against the secular, schools being a God-forsaken playground of Satan. I have a hard time with that idea.

By the use a historical event like Dunkirk to promote an agenda like this. Dunkirk was a real time and place where real people died in agony. I'm just thinking that regardless of what you think of public school, it's really not that much like Dunkirk.

I think individual families need to prayerfully consider where and how to educate their children. I don't really need other groups getting involved in "rescuing" my children. Well, I woudln't need it if they were in public school, which they aren't.

A few random thoughts on this thread:

Nayflies (sp?) brought up a more likely reason I'd agree on a mass exodus of the public schools, though, as someone else pointed out, I don't think it would work quite the way one might picture.

I think it's ridiculous to refer to any and all public schools as a battlefield. We moved a lot when I was a kid. Some of the schools I went to were not very good academically, but I was fortunate to never have to attend one that could be considered a battlefield in any sense, not physical, not spiritual.

I am actually quite pleased with the middle school and high school my kids currently attend in our town of less than 2,000. I feel they are receiving a good education there and they have good teachers and staff who really care. On top of that, this school district, which is comprised of just three schools (elementary, middle, and high school), does things their own way. This is a rural community and Christianity is the religion for the overwhelming majority of the population. Although they are respectful toward those whose beliefs may differ, they do not make an attempt to hide their own beliefs in order to be politically correct. Public prayer is offered at appropriate times, but no one is forced to participate. There are posters in the hallway that mention God, though not in a pushy, overdone way. Teachers express their beliefs fairly openly while making sure to state that others may not agree. The high school biology teacher taught evolution, but would admit in class that she did not believe it to the extent taught in the science book. Christianity is not pushed in this school, but students, staff, and teachers are not forced to hide their beliefs. One of the high school teachers is a Buddhist, and no one keeps him from talking about that. It is a very open environment which allows students to hear some variety of beliefs and still strengthen their own. That does not seem like any more of a spiritual battlefield than any other area of life.

In thinking about the concept of a spiritual battlefield or spiritual warfare, my mind goes to Ephesians 6. Verses 10-18 inform Christians that we are not engaged in a physical battle but a spiritual one and instruct us in how to arm ourselves. It's interesting to me that the chapter (although chapter divisions were not included in the original revelation given by God) begins with instruction to children to obey their parents who are "in the Lord" and to honor father and mother. Verse 4 instructs fathers not to provoke their children to wrath, but to "bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord". It is the parents' job to instruct their children and lay the foundation for them. It is the child's job to obey their parents and honor them. Instructions are then given regarding servants and masters, and then comes the statement that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood" along with instructions in how to arm ourselves.

Now, I am not suggesting that putting children in public schools is part of "the great commission" or that we should "thrust our children onto the spiritual battlefield" before they are ready. However, I am saying that the Bible does speak to the inevitable spiritual warfare of this life and tell us how to prepare for it. In the same chapter, parents are told how to bring up their children so that they are equipped for that later.

Scripture does seem to remain silent on the topic of public vs. private vs. homeschool. Yes, parents are responsible for teaching their children. I don't know about others, but I have not stopped teaching my children since they started public school. Their education at home continues in many ways and in many subject areas, not the least of which is their spiritual education. Leaving the physics instruction up to someone who is a Buddhist does not mean I am failing in the responsibility with which God has charged me. (Teaching the physics myself would probably mean I was failing to give my child the best possible education available to us on that subject!)

Yes, my children are exposed to different beliefs, but it does not threaten their faith as their instruction and our discussion at home continues and they are encouraged to search the Scriptures on their own as well. If anything, the opportunities to discuss differences in beliefs have helped strengthen this area of their education and give them a surer sense of what they believe. Rote memorization has its place, but at some point a student has to get past the point of spitting out what he has memorized and make that knowledge his own to truly believe it. Then he must apply it. Questioning these differences in beliefs ("Why do we believe this way when friend X believes Y?") helps that process along.

I have never felt specifically "called" to homeschool or send my kids to public school. Yes, I do try to remember to ask God when making decisions for my life. However, I don't believe God gives me instruction for every decision I need to make. Isn't it possible that there may be some situations where God feels He does not need to intervene? Perhaps some choices are pretty much equal. Is God not my sufficiency in everything, no matter where my kids attend school? Is God not capable of watching over my kids no matter where they are?

I'm vaguely bothered by the use a historical event like Dunkirk to promote an agenda like this. Dunkirk was a real time and place where real people died in agony. I'm just thinking that regardless of what you think of public school, it's really not that much like Dunkirk.

Not to mention that at Dunkirk the evacuees were fleeing Nazis, so this "pastor" is implicitly linking school teachers with the Third Reich. Nasty business.

Bill (son of a dedicated public school teacher)

But are Christian parents sending their kids to public school because God has called them to or because that's the most convenient school option for them? I get "I could never homeschool" and "It's so much easier to have them in school" just as much from Christians as non-Christians.

No, and no. When we made the decision to put my oldest ds in ps in 9th grade, it was with much prayer and consideration of all the options and opportunities available to us. There were many factors that went into the decision and in the end we knew it was the right thing to do. In hindsight, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, I disagree with this quote from the article (which is not substantiated anywhere in the article):

"The real target of the liberals and the left has always been the children.

I know many people who claim to be liberals and/or left-wing politically, and while they may have different social,religious and political views than me, they aren't going after anyone's children.

That being said, as parents, we need to make sure our children are in a protective, nurturing environment wherever they are. Just because something has a Christian label, doesn't automatically mean it's a good thing.

Nayflies (sp?) brought up a more likely reason I'd agree on a mass exodus of the public schools, though, as someone else pointed out, I don't think it would work quite the way one might picture.

for me, seeing something like "working out" would mean that parents were spending more time w/ their kids ;)

I think it's ridiculous to refer to any and all public schools as a battlefield. We moved a lot when I was a kid. Some of the schools I went to were not very good academically, but I was fortunate to never have to attend one that could be considered a battlefield in any sense, not physical, not spiritual.

I'm glad YOUR experience was good. We have too much evidence from across the country to write off the analogy as 'ridiculous' tho.

I am actually quite pleased with the middle school and high school my kids currently attend in our town of less than 2,000. I feel they are receiving a good education there and they have good teachers and staff who really care. ..... That does not seem like any more of a spiritual battlefield than any other area of life.

that's great :) It's nice to know who all is not homeschooling on this board and which ones are. However, just because one aspect of life isn't "any more" of a battlefield than another doesn't mean the rest of us are willing to subject our kids to Yet Another Battlefield.

It is the parents' job to instruct their children and lay the foundation for them. It is the child's job to obey their parents and honor them.

yup. and many of us choose to practice that w/o the added distraction of a school system.

Now, I am not suggesting that putting children in public schools is part of "the great commission" or that we should "thrust our children onto the spiritual battlefield" before they are ready. However, I am saying that the Bible does speak to the inevitable spiritual warfare of this life and tell us how to prepare for it. In the same chapter, parents are told how to bring up their children so that they are equipped for that later.

Bingo. back to my statement directly above :)

Scripture does seem to remain silent on the topic of public vs. private vs. homeschool. Yes, parents are responsible for teaching their children. I don't know about others, but I have not stopped teaching my children since they started public school. Their education at home continues in many ways and in many subject areas, not the least of which is their spiritual education. Leaving the physics instruction up to someone who is a Buddhist does not mean I am failing in the responsibility with which God has charged me. (Teaching the physics myself would probably mean I was failing to give my child the best possible education available to us on that subject!)

you would only be failing if the "best instruction in physics" came w/ a detrimental spiritual side. You have stated that your dc's school doesn't, and I'm sure you are aware enough that your school's situation is the exception, not the rule. great academics at a high spiritual cost? I think scripture speaks pretty darn clearly there.

Yes, my children are exposed to different beliefs, but it does not threaten their faith as their instruction and our discussion at home continues and they are encouraged to search the Scriptures on their own as well. If anything, the opportunities to discuss differences in beliefs have helped strengthen this area of their education and give them a surer sense of what they believe. Rote memorization has its place, but at some point a student has to get past the point of spitting out what he has memorized and make that knowledge his own to truly believe it. Then he must apply it. Questioning these differences in beliefs ("Why do we believe this way when friend X believes Y?") helps that process along.

this will vary from family to family, person to person. Like plants, some people are hardier than others and thrive under harsh conditions. Others need to be sheltered for a long time till they are fully mature. Some of us are called to be meek servants, others are called to be loud wackos hollering in the wilderness ;)

Isn't it possible that there may be some situations where God feels He does not need to intervene?

Perhaps some choices are pretty much equal.

Is God not my sufficiency in everything, no matter where my kids attend school?

Is God not capable of watching over my kids no matter where they are?

1. I think God does a LOT of not intervening. he gives us free will --to do wrong, and to do right.

2. yeah, i think a lot of choices are pretty much equal. not necessarily 'most', but some- sure.

3. yup. He is our sufficiency when we are doing all kind sof things -right or wrong. But that doesn't prevent us from striving to do what is best, whether that be school or homeschool, for whatever reasons.

4. yeah, but back to #1: I don't think God lets kids get killed in school shootings or abused at the hands of parents because "He's not capable" of watching them. He was more than capable of protecting the infant Christ, but instead told Joseph to take the babe and his mother and FLEE.

So it's up to us as parents to listen to our parental instincts on which areas of life are most dangerous for *our* families --car seat safety, letting children go to public restrooms/ changing rooms alone, drinking alcohol/ caffeine while pregnant, giving our babies formula instead of nursing, and yes, even homeschooling vs public/private schooling.

Stop the presses! That's twice now that we agree about something!

I thought Ellie and the original article posted were referring to a battlefield for God. You know, Christians against the secular, schools being a God-forsaken playground of Satan. I have a hard time with that idea.

welllll... hold on now w/ that agreement ;)

i do think your interpretation of Ellie's statement has a valid basis too.

The schools have done a lot to dismiss God where they can --the courts have a lot of evidence of that.

Playground of Satan? maybe -- it's hard to distinguish between Satan himself and our own evil natures ;) But scripture is also clear that the company we keep is a big part of our walk w/ Christ. Surrounding our kids w/ people who won't or can't keep Christ as the focus is a big debate in the Christian community.

But I don't homeschool for religious reasons, even tho we have reaped religious benefits from homeschooling. My primary reasons are --as i mentioned in the reply you agreed with --secular :)

oh, i dunno......

I agree about the social crap. That definitely influenced my decision to homeschool initially... BUT- another reason I started to homeschool was the overwhelming christian influence in the public schools around here. I didn't want my kids being the target of students and teachers trying to convert them.

Now my oldest is in a high school IB program- so I now have to watch out for too much liberal influence. My youngest is at a charter school where they teach evolution and do not mention creationism in science class, so she's been fine so far.

My point is, no matter what your religious or political beliefs, your children will be exposed to other influences in public school. I support anyone who can keep their children away from public schools, at least until high school (when they should be able to defend and maintain their own worldview.) I wish I could still homeschool mine, especially the young one- but I have to do what I have to do.

I agree about the social crap. That definitely influenced my decision to homeschool initially... BUT- another reason I started to homeschool was the overwhelming christian influence in the public schools around here. I didn't want my kids being the target of students and teachers trying to convert them.

Here, too. Local ps starts the day with xian prayer. Also, the priest comes and teaches catechism as a class right in the school. And this is SUPPOSED to be a public school. :001_rolleyes:

We'll have none of that indoctrination thank you.

I did not read the article and I am not here to debate anyone... but the attention drawn to Conservative Christians choosing to homeschool is scary to me. The media and politics have made "tolerance" a religion. Conservative Christians believe that some lifestyles are not acceptable. So I think drawing attention to this might lead to homeschooling becoming illegal. People will get it in their heads that Christians are conservative and they all want to shelter their kids and breed prejudice by keeping them out of school.

Here, too. Local ps starts the day with xian prayer. Also, the priest comes and teaches catechism as a class right in the school. And this is SUPPOSED to be a public school. :001_rolleyes:.

Then they teach evolution because teaching intelligent design is not separating church and state. Ridiculous.

:iagree: :glare:

Here, too. Local ps starts the day with xian prayer. Also, the priest comes and teaches catechism as a class right in the school. And this is SUPPOSED to be a public school. :001_rolleyes:

Wow! I'd love to know where you live...that's definitely not the case with the public schools here--and I live in the so-called "Bible-belt." My friends that are teachers have very strict rules against even mentioning anything Christian related, and they abide by those rules.

As for the priest, I'm sure the catechism class is a choice just like Greek Mythology was an elective in my public school.

Wow! I'd love to know where you live...that's definitely not the case with the public schools here--and I live in the so-called "Bible-belt." My friends that are teachers have very strict rules against even mentioning anything Christian related, and they abide by those rules.

As for the priest, I'm sure the catechism class is a choice just like Greek Mythology was an elective in my public school.

It's an elective all right, but the peer pressure to take it is extreme to say the least. Students who don't are mocked, even by the teachers. This, told to me by more than a few of the students.

As for where I live... I'm in a tiny, very rural, francophone-Catholic town in western Canada. The politics, and hence what the school can get away with, here are all part and parcel of a very long, very divisive, cultural/ethnic battle that goes back to the beginnings of the province. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say... the few rule the masses (pun intended) with an iron fist. It is in no way reflective of the majority of Canadian towns/cities I've been.

I'm just glad we don't actually live in the town itself. I don't think I could stand it.

Then they teach evolution because teaching intelligent design is not separating church and state. Ridiculous.

Sadly, no. They don't teach evolution OR creationism. It's skipped entirely at the high school level by order of the local PTB. Plenty of creationist stuff in the elementary though. Catechism classes take care of that nicely. :001_huh: