Menu

That's right, it's New Years... or something...

My two youngest went to sleep about an hour ago and my daughter is playing "Don't Quote Me" with her dad. We do not do much either. Previously, we have gone out to First Night but it is cold here. No way, no how am I going outside!

We had appetizers for dinner. Does that count for something?

Yeah, I just finished working in my office. I'm slowly re-doing it. I've been working in there for the past 3 hours. I"m now sitting on the couch with DH and he's watching some weird show from HULU, Legend of the Seeker. I'll be playing games soon. Or retiring with a good book.

New Year's Eve is such a big thing for us that I was trying to figure out why the post office was closed on a Wednesday afternoon :glare:

we went bowling this afternoon, then after dinner we let the kids open their 3 presents from us, we don't celebrate Christmas anymore but we do give a few gifts on New Year's instead. We had dessert, and now the kids are either playing with their new toys/games or reading a new book.

After they go to bed, hubby and I are going to watch a movie and pop open a sparkling apple cider.

we are boring, we will be in bed probably by 11.

The kids are watching TV. We have been playing games, but my dh is not feeling well so he went to bed. We had our traditional snack of chocolate fondue and will break out the sparkling cider. My dd5 keeps asking when she can do the noisemaker stuff, so I think I might decide to let midnight come a bit early for her. I doubt she will make it 2 1/2 more hours.

Dh had the fabulous idea of letting the oldest four stay up until midnight--everyone in the family is sick, btw, and we stayed up last night from 1:30 until 3:30 with coughing, barfing, breathing treatments, and other misc. Can you tell I'm tired and cranky? :angry: I'll be going to bed ASAP.

It's 10:38pm here.

I just finished putting away most of our snacks~little smokies, meatballs, summer sausage and cheese, chips with guacamole, sour cream and hot sauce(from a Mexican restaurant) and deli spirals~YUM!

But now I have a belly ache and am getting tired.

We stay home and play games, watch tv or whatever.

Happy New Year All!!!

I keep forgetting. We never do much on December 31'st. What are you all up to this fine evening?

Hangin' out, listening to my boys jam to Guitar Hero (I know we're all going to hell!) and making them squirm when I'm belting out Heartbreaker. I might dance soon. That always annoys them.

I'm sitting at the computer waiting for the appropriate time to go to bed.

This might seem, I don't know, odd to most of you. However, I'm on duty tonight and it's only 10:30 where I am.

This relates to the appropriateness (or not) of going to bed because if I lay down too soon, we're almost guaranteed to be up all night running calls. I'm at a point in my career where I'm perfectly fine not going on a lot of calls, especially after 10p. I don't get paid per patient contact.

It's not that I'm superstitious, per se, it's just that I have 11 years experience telling (nay, screaming at) me that when I try to go to bed before 11p, I'm up all night. So, here I sit...

Well....I just got finished scrubbing the kitchen floor...on my hands and knees no less!

My dad has installed a generator in our garage and is now working on wiring outlets in the kitchen so that the frig can run on the generator if need be. That required pulling out the frig which was absolutely FILTHY behind and around it. Sigh.

And, while my kitchen was in total mayhem, I baked peanut blossom cookies (two batches), did four loads of laundry (my washer and dryer are in my kitchen), sorted out all the junk that was stored on top of the frig (more than should have been up there, that's for sure!), and then had to whip-up our supper/New Year's snacks when the frig got put back into place.

We had a meat and cheese platter, crackers, cheese dip with tortilla chips, fancy pop-corn in the tins, and we have sauerkraut and pork cooking in the crock pot for tomorrow. (traditional meal)

Kids and dh played some Mario Kart and Monkey Ball, then we watched a DVD, dh went over to the church to give a devotion for the State Youth lock-in that is happening at our church tonight (my dd that is in youth is recovering from surgery so stayed at home), and all the kids played on their computers while I cleaned up the dining room, living room and kitchen.....which lead to the floor scrubbing!

Now it's my turn on the computer. Dd recovering from surgery went to bed at 10pm, my dad went to bed at 9pm, my ds went to bed at 6pm (tired from a long day at work), and my dh will probably make it to midnight...maybe....but I know other dd and I will. I drank a RockStar, lol! (caffeine)

Oh, and I still have a load of laundry in the dryer. Can't go to bed before that is done! My goal is to do NO LAUNDRY on New Year's Day: instead we plan to take down all the Christmas decorations while dh is off work and can help haul boxes up and down the steps.

Such an exciting life we lead. Almost as wild as Drew...but not quite.:001_smile:

Now it's my turn on the computer. Dd recovering from surgery went to bed at 10pm, my dad went to bed at 9pm, my ds went to bed at 6pm (tired from a long day at work), and my dh will probably make it to midnight...maybe....but I know other dd and I will. I drank a RockStar, lol! (caffeine)

:

I'm taking my computer turn as well. Katia, I hope your dd feels better soon...is this the dd who plays the beautiful harp music?

Every year dh brings home new calendars for the dc for their New Year's Eve gift. (This year ds got The Andy Griffith Show and dd got Madagascar 2.) We had a pork roast for dinner and now dh and dc are watching Wall E. We'll all be up at midnight. My ds loves confetti (he makes his own) and he looks forward to the big confetti toss every New Year's Eve!

I'm taking my computer turn as well. Katia, I hope your dd feels better soon...is this the dd who plays the beautiful harp music?

Thanks for asking, Laurie,that was so sweet of you. No, it isn't my harpist but my younger dd. She had breast reduction surgery three weeks ago (16yo). She is doing better every day, but still gets tired very easily, especially when she does a lot....like playing Mario Kart, lol, and she played four or five songs on the piano today. That in itself is quite the work-out right now, but she loves to play. (and I love to listen)

We never do much for New Year's Eve either, maybe because we've always had kids. And maybe that's why I can't ever shake the depressing feeling I get when I think about it. This night just marks the passage of time for me. I'm that much closer to being old and lonely and depressed like dh's grandmother, and my kids are another year closer to not being my babies anymore when I already don't have enough time with them as it is. Yeah, I'm going to need therapy. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, when our oldest was younger and an only, he would stay up with us and drink sparkling cider at midnight. He still stays up with us, (or I guess we stay up with him) but now it's very anticlimactic watching the ball drop. I still put the little ones to bed at regular time, but go and kiss them at midnight if I'm still awake. Eventually, they'll catch on and realize New Year's is an excuse to stay up late.

Tonight, however, oldest (ds15) is out at his first ever party. I was excited for him to go because he's kind of socially stunted. Despite our gentle nudges, he doesn't get out with friends much. I really wanted him to go, although I'm pretty much a bundle of nerves over what could be happening out there at a party with who knows how many public school kids until past midnight. Whew! did we have a pep talk before he left! Although, I'm confident there's about an 85% chance it was unecessary. He's a good boy.

Dh is working all night at the fire station, so he'll be pulling drunks and their victims from the wreckage at midnight. I've got a quiet house, Pride and Prejudice on the TV, a Cosmopolitan, and I'll be up until ds comes home, and kissing my little ones at midnight.

Have a good night, all.

My dd and I worked on a 500 piece puzzle while we watched The Cosby Show and snacked on Ruffles and onion dip (I was the one that had onion dip). My dh and ds went to our church's youth meeting and then to the church's game night. They were supposed to stay at the church until late, but it was a bust, so they came home early. While my dh was on the computer, my dd and I finished the puzzle while ds joined us in watching The Cosby Show.

Finally, we all gathered around the tube to watch Kit Kittridge (sp?). Dh went to bed, and dc and I are just waiting around for 2009. I almost went to bed but then thought, let's see what's happening on the WTM forums.

YAWN! Trying to keep my eyes open.

Claire in NM

We stay home and eat junk food until we are sick! My kids look forward to it every year. ;)

Earlier we played Ticket to Ride and DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). Now the younger girls are watching Wall-E.

40+ minutes to go out here in the PNW.

Happy New Year!!!!

DD has 2 friends over (B-G twins), who are spending the night. DS2 is spending the night at a friend's house. He sent a text message at the stroke of midnight wishing me happy new year. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to figure out how to send him a return message, with 5 teenagers hanging over my shoulder telling me I was doing it wrong (my message didn't pass muster: hpy nw yr 2 U 2.).

My resolution is never to send another text message -- what is the point? It takes forever to type anything and I spent more time backspacing over errors than it would have taken to hit send to call DS2 instead.

I made way too much food, I thought, but the kids gobbled every bit of it up, and more! Apparently, teens really like packaged meatballs cooked in grape jelly and chili sauce, little smokies wrapped in bacon, crackers & cheese, and chocolate fondue made from 1 can of Hershey's chocolate syrup and 1 can of condensed milk. Before that, they ate tons of chips, cheese dip, and salsa. After that, they made huge sundaes with a wide variety of toppings.

They made a huge bowl of punch. Drank it. They drank all the soda in the house. They drank my bottle of diet 7-Up before I even had a sip. Next year, I'm hiding the good stuff.

I served fruit and pound cake with the fondue -- they ate the fruit, which was the only nutritious food that passed their lips all night. I bet none of them brushed their teeth before they went to bed at 2 a.m.

They are thin. How? I'm not jealous because if they keep this up, they are going to be thin *and* toothless. At least I still have all my teeth.

Then DD and her (girl) friend told me they wanted to watch a movie called S*x in the City. They must have been pulling my chain. They know me. I'm not gonna let my DD watch a movie with S*x in the title! She's only 13!

The dog howled for meatballs and sausages. I thought it was a coyote outside, that howl sounded so long, loud, high-pitched, and wild. Then I thought it was one of the kids. It took everyone a long time to convince me that it was he, but after that the dog got his wish.

DH decided this would be a great night to talk for a couple of hours about all the old, valuable guns he used to own -- complete with a recitation of their serial numbers, makers, who he bought them from, where, when, and the history of each gun & its manufacturer, along with some American history thrown into the mix.

After that, I brought up next year's budget, and DH decided he was too sleepy to talk, and went to bed.

Happy New Year!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

New Year's Day is a pain too!

I was about to dress my kids for a much-overdue library trip. Then I remembered...

I also keep hoping some materials I ordered will arrive in the mail, but there is no mail today either *sigh*

Before I had kids I took all the New Year's Day jobs because it was an easy way to earn holiday pay.

And that texting thing: It's all in the thumbs, Baby!

There ain't no way I'm gonna work on my thumb-eye coordination. I gave that up when all my characters bit the dust before they hopped, hit, or ran to the right place in a video game a few years ago.

In an effort to modernize myself, I convinced my sister to buy the kids a couple of Wii wheels for Christmas, in great hopes that I can play the Mario Kart racing game with them. If thumbs are required for that, I'm sunk. Otherwise, I'm real good at using a steering wheel, and if that's all it takes, I'm going to beat everyone at the game. That will show my laughing-hyena kids that Mom is not hopeless at playing video games. After that, I'm going to look into buying a Wii basher so I can beat them at Super Smash Bros. by beating their characters into submission, all without thumbs.

I guess being all thumbs is a good thing in this day and age.

RC

DD has 2 friends over (B-G twins), who are spending the night. DS2 is spending the night at a friend's house. He sent a text message at the stroke of midnight wishing me happy new year. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to figure out how to send him a return message, with 5 teenagers hanging over my shoulder telling me I was doing it wrong (my message didn't pass muster: hpy nw yr 2 U 2.).

My resolution is never to send another text message -- what is the point? It takes forever to type anything and I spent more time backspacing over errors than it would have taken to hit send to call DS2 instead.

I made way too much food, I thought, but the kids gobbled every bit of it up, and more! Apparently, teens really like packaged meatballs cooked in grape jelly and chili sauce, little smokies wrapped in bacon, crackers & cheese, and chocolate fondue made from 1 can of Hershey's chocolate syrup and 1 can of condensed milk. Before that, they ate tons of chips, cheese dip, and salsa. After that, they made huge sundaes with a wide variety of toppings.

They made a huge bowl of punch. Drank it. They drank all the soda in the house. They drank my bottle of diet 7-Up before I even had a sip. Next year, I'm hiding the good stuff.

I served fruit and pound cake with the fondue -- they ate the fruit, which was the only nutritious food that passed their lips all night. I bet none of them brushed their teeth before they went to bed at 2 a.m.

They are thin. How? I'm not jealous because if they keep this up, they are going to be thin *and* toothless. At least I still have all my teeth.

Then DD and her (girl) friend told me they wanted to watch a movie called S*x in the City. They must have been pulling my chain. They know me. I'm not gonna let my DD watch a movie with S*x in the title! She's only 13!

The dog howled for meatballs and sausages. I thought it was a coyote outside, that howl sounded so long, loud, high-pitched, and wild. Then I thought it was one of the kids. It took everyone a long time to convince me that it was he, but after that the dog got his wish.

DH decided this would be a great night to talk for a couple of hours about all the old, valuable guns he used to own -- complete with a recitation of their serial numbers, makers, who he bought them from, where, when, and the history of each gun & its manufacturer, along with some American history thrown into the mix.

After that, I brought up next year's budget, and DH decided he was too sleepy to talk, and went to bed.

Happy New Year!

RC

RC, This is great! I laughed and laughed. Thanks so much for this post :001_smile:

Finally, we all gathered around the tube to watch Kit Kittridge

Claire in NM

This is TOO coincidental: we watched Kit Kittridge New Year's Eve as well! My dad is almost 80yo and we kept stopping the movie as he would talk about a certain model of car, or the train, or the work programs, etc. It was great!

He loved the movie and my girls (both teens) loved not only the movie but enjoyed Grandpa giving first-hand remembrances of the time period. Just like a homeschooler: educational movie on New Year's Eve, lol!

We are so not exciting. We went to bed at 11 and I don't even think my kids know it is the new year. We don't have TV so there was no dropping ball to watch.

My anniversary is on the 11th so we usually put off the festivities until then. :D

I always worked tables on New Year's or babysat so it never was New Year's= Fun growing up.