Menu

How to you find (or make) time for self-education (Latin, reading ahead, etc.)?

When they were as young as your two little ones, I didn't. ;)

Only in the past couple of years (mine are now 14 and 9) have I felt comfortable taking time for myself. Before then, I did everything necessary for their education, but I didn't spend any time on mine.

We don't have an official "quiet time" in my house, but I'm usually able to carve out a stretch of time to read on the mornings when I'm not out tutoring. I send dd to her room to play or let her listen to stories on the iPod. Sometimes she and I will both just sit on the couch, reading our respective books. I treasure those times!

My dw also takes our dd to the Y a couple of evenings a week. Ideally I would be going to work out, too, but I will admit to skipping the treadmill in favor of Latin sometimes. ;) If I'm reading a book that isn't too taxing, sometimes I can bring it along and read it while on the treadmill or exercise bike. It helps pass the time and exercises my brain a bit, too.

Finally, my dw and I both read a bit in bed most nights. That's usually not ideal study time because I'm sleepy, but it's good for reading a poem or a lighter book. We also have some great conversations about what we're reading, so it's a time to reconnect at the end of the day.

I try to resist the temptation to do laundry or cleaning or hang out on the computer while my kids are doing their independent work, and this is a good time for me to do my own Latin study or reading.

I never go anywhere without a book in my bag, so when we're in a waiting room or the kids are in their guitar lessons, I can read.

I always read before bed.

Still, it's not enough time! I always feel behind! This past summer, I got ahead on reading and Latin study, and that has saved me this year.

Before, school just seemed like an "I teach, they learn" proposition, but now that my oldest has moved into the Logic Stage, and is reading more complex books, all of which I adored at her age, there is a lot more for she and I to talk about together, and she often points out things that I didn't remember or never noticed. I am enjoying looking at education through her young eyes.

For Latin and Greek, I had one semester of Latin in high school, as an ACT prep course, but dd is already past where we got to in that class, so I am learning along with her. Greek has been so much more difficult for me than the kids, so I actually have to make an effort to stay ahead of them in order to answer questions they might have. I usually do this in the evenings for a half hour or so.

Everywhere I go, I am never without two things: a knitting project, and a book. Any time I find myself having to wait for something, I always have something to read and something to work on. I also read in the evenings before bed, and I take about an hour on the weekend and plan for the following week, skimming books the kids will read, and noting if there is anything I need to read ahead of time.

Just having trouble fitting everything in and wondering how you guys do it. :) Any tips? What works for you?

I tend to alternate between something I wanted to read for pleasure and something I feel I should read (which could also end up being fun). So the last few books have been:

The Canon (book about what every layman should know about science)

Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers

David Copperfield (it's 900 pages and I'm about half way through)

Best wishes

Laura

I can't not read. I read in bits throughout the day. (I have been known to be dictating from one book to my daughter and also looking at my book at the same time. It's probably not good, but it keeps me sane.) Also while cooking, eating, brushing my teeth...

For study, I tend to use the evenings; I'm too much of a zombie in the morning. For a while I was trying to read something from a classic every night. That got dropped for a while, then I started poetry on most nights, and currently I'm in an online discussion of the Iliad which has kept me on my toes.

I studied Henle Latin last summer and enjoyed that very much, but dropped it during the school year. I guess I'll have to nearly start over this summer, and I'll have to really tackle the Greek alphabet too; it's very easy for me to forget, and I think I've tried to learn it 3 times now without permanent success. I don't know why it's so hard when I can still read the Russian alphabet with ease!

I agree with Angela that I had a lot less time to do anything intellectually-stimulating when ds was still a toddler. When he transitioned into the preschool stage, I found that he would play independently for awhile each day and I could squeeze in a few minutes of reading here and there throughout the day.

Like, Mrs. H, I will be learning Latin with my dd when she begins next year. Unfortunately, I didn't have any Latin in hs or college, so I will be starting fresh. I did major in Spanish and minor in Linguistics, though, so I know I have the ability to learn a language and definitely the interest. I actually think it will be wonderful for dd to have my partnership in learning right along with her. She loves it when I sit down and try to do an art project alongside her, instead of just reading the lesson with her and then watching her do a project. (And I have very little artistic ability!) MFS had a great entry at her blog http://http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html about learning to play the piano along with her daughters. It really made me think about the value of jumping in and learning with our children, rather than just making it possible for them to have learning experiences.

I also think that it is rather daunting for dd to have to be taught or told new things all day long that I already know. Sometimes, because of her personality, it makes her feel discouraged, and she begins to feel that she needs to act as if she already knows everything. For her, it will be fun and refreshing to be learning something with me, rather than from me. I hope this helps a little.