Menu

If your young teens have an iPod...how much do they listen to it?

My dh bought our oldest an iPod this weekend to listen to while she exercises at our local rec center. She hasn't used it yet and I'm wondering how much I should let her use it at home/in the car. I'm not worried about what she'll be listening to, but what she won't be listening too -- family conversation! She is already an introvert and I don't want her to mentally check out of the family at 13! :rolleyes:

Do you have any do's/don'ts for your kids regarding their headphone listening habits?

Thank you!

My boys use theirs all the time. They don't listen to them when they around us (except in the car), but since they tend to spend the majority of their time in their rooms, outside, etc, they use them hours everyday. They definitely have them on when studying.

Personally, I can't stand my ds's choices in music. I am thrilled I don't have to hear it anymore. I gave up battling the music selections a couple of yrs ago. Dh kept defending their choices by pointing out he listened to that type music at that age and he turned out be a wonderfully moral man of character. Don't know why, but I do restrict my teenage dd's music selections more. ;) (Maybe b/c she is more compliant and doesn't argue for hours on end about it.:o)

After the initial thrill, I've found mine don't have theirs on nearly as much as they used to. I don't really have any limits set on it, and haven't needed any.

I like the i-pods. It means I don't have to listen to their music. :cool:

I agree. However, my oldest just got an iHome (it's a place where you can dock your ipod and listen to it over the speakers, it has a radio, alarm, etc.) and now I have to hear more of his music!

We haven't had any problems. All 3 of my children have MP3 players. Mostly they are used when we are in the car because everyone enjoys listening to their own music selection. My dd15 will listen to her ipod in her room but has a doohickey thing (not sure what it is called) that allows her to plug it in and listen without the need for headphones. It's the same thing as listening to the radio, something I did when I was a teen. (I guess I shouldn't mention the 8-track tapes, huh?) :)