Menu

Name your favorite most inspirational books of all time?

The Bible is #1 of course, but I also have been inspired by Born Free by Steve Brown, Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, and just about everything by CS Lewis, although I read The Great Divorce at least once every couple of years. I too love Till We Have Faces, but really got so much more out of it after listening to Peter Kreeft's lecture on it.

Edited by Karenciavo

My favorite book is Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. My dh read it aloud to me during the days after our 3rd daughter was born, so that makes is sentimental, too. It's a beautiful and inspiring book about the beauty and importance of women. Blessings~

Ginger

Without looking at others:

The Bible

Experiencing God, Henry Blackaby (now out in a book, but I did as a Bible study)

Covenant, Kay Arthur (now out in a book; can be done as a study)

Tightwad Gazette (a bit different genre, but completely changed my perspective and habits and allowed us to give up my attorney income)

Others might include:

Stepping Heavenward

Hinds Feet on High Places

and a smattering of missionary biographies: Jim Elliot's story, God's Smuggler, Peace Child, the Hiding Place are standing out right now.

HTH,

Lisa

Please name your favorite most inspirational, life changing books of all time?

With the exception of religious texts, mine is Principles of Mathematical Anaylsis by Walter Rudin.

It had a huge impact on my life, although it is probably not the sort of book one would think of as being inspirational...

And Sacred Influence.

Read both of these books AFTER a period of great agony in my marriage. I made the decision to recommit no matter what, THEN God led me to these books. Interesting, huh? I am married to an adult Aspberger's -- a diagnosis that was made, again, AFTER, my acknowledgment that God had the right to give me whatever kind of marriage He wanted to.

Learning about what is going on in my marriage because of this, together with these two books, has made my marriage doable.

Life-Changing Books:

The Bible.

The best book there is. It changed my life. I came to faith in Christ through reading the whole Bible and C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I love the KJV, but sometimes I'll use the NKJV or even the NIV for bible study. For daily readings, I love "My Utmost Devotional Bible." It's NKJV, and each daily reading has a short intro by Oswald Chambers, then readings from both the old and new testaments.

Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

A great book for laying out a rational case for Christ and Christianity. Lewis has reasoned arguments that are fun to read. I keep extras of this book on hand to give away.

Worldview-Changing Books:

How Now Shall We Live, Colson and Pearson

Teaches you how to live a Christian Worldview. A must read for every Christian.

Be Ye Transformed, Nancy Missler

Teaches practical ways to live submitting to Christ daily. Very helpful with my daily walk with Christ.

In His Steps

The book that inspired WWJD. It's fiction, but it shouldn't be.

Darwin's Black Box, Michael Behe

As someone with a Biology degree, I loved this book. The movie "Unlocking the Mystery of Life" is based on this book and other intelligent design arguments.

Point of View-Changing Books:

I love books that increase my understanding of the world. The following are those kind of books.

Generations, Strauss and Howe

A different way of looking at History, I gained some new perspectives.

Conquests and Cultures, Thomas Sowell

Read all 3 of his cultures books. They're great, and insightful look into history and cultures and how and why cultures change.

Basic Economics, Thomas Sowell

I used to think it was all "voodoo economics," despite having taken 3 econ classes in college. Sowell clearly explains economics in ENGLISH, not econese. Now, I'm a believer in economics and understand its principles. I can finally talk to my father-in-law about economics (he has an econ degree).

Great Reads:

Hellen Keller

Read this book. She loved to read, and was grateful for reading for bringing the world that she could not see or hear to her.

My Life As A Slave, Frederic Douglass

It's available for free online. He gave away his own food to give to poor white boys so he could learn to read. An amazing story of courage, pluck, and determination.

And Sacred Influence.

Read both of these books AFTER a period of great agony in my marriage. I made the decision to recommit no matter what, THEN God led me to these books. Interesting, huh? I am married to an adult Aspberger's -- a diagnosis that was made, again, AFTER, my acknowledgment that God had the right to give me whatever kind of marriage He wanted to.

Learning about what is going on in my marriage because of this, together with these two books, has made my marriage doable.

Beautiful testimony, Teresa! :grouphug:

Cindy

The Bible is an obvious answer since I'm Christian, but, yes, it's at the top of the list. :D

East of Eden comes in second. It has a lot of personal significance for me.

These three are inspiring because of they are stories of triumph in difficult circumstances.

The Hiding Place

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

The Glass Castle