Menu

Library of America Subscription

Kris

I've been thinking of subscribing to the Library of America, but I've read a few reviews of the books that describe the paper in their volumes as "bible-thin."

Is there anyone who has this subscription -- or some of the books -- who can tell me if this is the case? Some of their volumes are 1,500 pages, so I can understand the problem, but I don't like books with thin paper, especially for these prices.

Kris, we don't have a subscription but we do have many (many) volumes in the Library of America series. My wife (the American lit. major) and I consider these a treasure.

The construction of these books makes them very compact, and in my opinion easy to read. They have real sewn bindings (so they lie flat when open) and will last for generations, and the paper is acid-free, so unlike typical books printed on pulp paper that yellow and disintegrate with time these are books that could potentially be read by our children's children's children.

The paper is thin. It is an "onion skin" somewhat like what's used in some Bibles. But it seems to be somewhat more opaque than a typical Bible, and the fonts are not so small. All I can say is I do not relish reading most "onion skin" Bibles due to the paper, but I have not such problems with the Library of America books. i enjoy reading them.

You might feel other-wise, as there is an ever-so slight amount of bleed from the reverse pages.

ETA: I just pulled out my copy of a NIV Bible published by Zondervan. It is a "nice" edition (genuine cowhide, good size). The difference is paper quality is striking. The LoA paper is much (much) whiter and more opaque. The LoA paper while still "thin" is far more substantial than the NIV paper, and has a better feel in the hand. You don't get the feeling the paper will crease just turning the page.

To me it seems like LoA struck the perfect compromise between being thin and having substance.

We love all of our LoA books, and they do get read!

Hope this helps you,

Bill