Menu

Progesterone cream - what does it do for YOU? And MANY other questions inside...

Of course, I'm talking about natural progesterone cream, not synthetic. I'm researching it and I have several questions:

• If YOU use it, why? What prompted you to start it? What benefit does it have for you? Physical benefits only (regulating cycles, controlling hot flashes, etc.)? Or emotional too (irritability, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, depression, etc.)?

• How did you know that you needed it? I mean, how did you determine that your issues were caused by a lack of progesterone and not something else? Did you do a saliva test or some other test? Did your doctor recommend it for you, or did you self-diagnose and start using it on your own?

• Do you use it every day, or do you use it only on certain days of your cycle?

• How much do you use? How do you know how much to use? Where do you put it?

• How do you know when NOT to use it, or when to stop using it once you've started? Is it safe to use over a long period of time (i.e. months or years)?

• What negative side effects have you experienced?

• How will you know when to discontinue using it? After menopause? Or are you supposed to use it beyond that time?

• If you start using it and then decide to stop, are there side effects if you abruptly discontinue it?

• What brand do you recommend? Do you need a prescription for that brand? If not, where do you buy it?

• After you started using it, did you notice a marked difference in your symptoms? How well did/does it work in controlling the issues for which you started taking it? Was the effect immediate, or did it take awhile (days, weeks, months, etc.)?

I've read some books on the subject of menopause/perimenopause -- Dr. Lee and others -- but I wanted to get some perspective on this directly from women who've used progesterone cream.

ETA: If you can't answer *all* of the above questions, just answer the ones you can. I know there are a LOT of them, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm only looking for "expert" input here. :)

Edited by ereks mom

for about 6-8 months. I started using it, at the advice of my gyn, to treat migraines which were resistant to every other type of preventative I have tried. We had also tried estrogen patches for a couple of days right before my cycle but that didn't work. We tried progesterone just to see what would happen. No, I didn't have any salivary tests but did have blood tests which showed my progesterone levels on the lower side of normal. My doc calls in prescription for it to a local (same state) compounding pharmacy. We experimented with different dosages and lengths of time so see what worked/what didn't. I am extremely sensitive to progesterone level changes so my dosages are much lower than most other people. At the most, I use about 10 mg/day from right after ovulation until right before menses. Then I taper down over several days to 5 mg/day and stay there until ovulation again. So I'm using it every day all month long just at different dosages.

Although I did start using it for migraines, I have noticed that it helps me feel more calm, less anxiety, and boosts libido. When my dose was getting too high for me, I noticed I was becoming depressed/teary and dealing with weight gain/sugar cravings. As long as I keep the dose low enough I don't have the negative side effects.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

karen

• If YOU use it, why? What prompted you to start it? What benefit does it have for you? Physical benefits only (regulating cycles, controlling hot flashes, etc.)? Or emotional too (irritability, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, depression, etc.)?

• How did you know that you needed it? I mean, how did you determine that your issues were caused by a lack of progesterone and not something else? Did you do a saliva test or some other test? Did your doctor recommend it for you, or did you self-diagnose and start using it on your own?

• Do you use it every day, or do you use it only on certain days of your cycle?

• How much do you use? How do you know how much to use? Where do you put it?

• How do you know when NOT to use it, or when to stop using it once you've started? Is it safe to use over a long period of time (i.e. months or years)?

• What negative side effects have you experienced?

• How will you know when to discontinue using it? After menopause? Or are you supposed to use it beyond that time?

• If you start using it and then decide to stop, are there side effects if you abruptly discontinue it?

• What brand do you recommend? Do you need a prescription for that brand? If not, where do you buy it?

• After you started using it, did you notice a marked difference in your symptoms? How well did/does it work in controlling the issues for which you started taking it? Was the effect immediate, or did it take awhile (days, weeks, months, etc.)?

:)

I started using Pro-Gest cream by Emerita (I buy it at Whole Foods) several years ago after reading Dr. Lee's book. I followed the directions that came in the package as far as how much to use and when/where to use it. I have continued to use it after my hysterectomy, but I follow the menopausal instructions now (easier...just take about a week off each month). I keep a 1/4 tsp. measuring spoon in the box with the cream because I like to be precise. You also need to vary the areas where you're applying the cream and stick to areas with thinner skin like neck, upper chest, underside of arms...places where you can see veins.

When I started using it the biggest improvement for me was that I no longer got a monthly migraine. When I stopped using the cream at one point the migraine returned so I kept using it. Now I'm using it instead of any kind of prescription hormone replacement therapy. The only hot flashes I get are mild and they tend to happen more during the week when I'm not using the cream (and this time of year I actually enjoy them!)

I'm planning to keep using it, and it may have some bone health benefits as well. (My baseline bone scan before my surgery was normal and I'll have another scan in about a year, I think.)

Another good book with information about progesterone cream is Dr. Christiane Northrup's: The Wisdom of Menopause.

Edited by Laurie

I'm not familiar with Progesterone Cream, but do have occasional migraines (3-4 times a year) that always coincide with ovulation. Since it's not an every month thing, I don't know about using this regularly, even though I am 47 years old. Wonder what the chances are of this working when I first have a migraine coming on (my first sign is always blurred vision).

My last one was Christmas eve eve, and it lasted 2 full days. Really messed up my plans for the holidays, but God knew I needed a break from cooking. That was my excuse, and all understood, thankfully.

Anyway, can someone comment on their experience with the success rate for eliminating migraines, and specifically on whether it will work immediately on a migraine in progress?

Karen in SC

Anyway, can someone comment on their experience with the success rate for eliminating migraines, and specifically on whether it will work immediately on a migraine in progress?

When I tried taking a break from the cream I ended up with the same monthly migraine. I had read somewhere that you can rub the cream on your temples to get migraine relief, but it didn't help me at all. I had to be using the cream on a regular basis to prevent them from happening.

Here is a link that may be helpful:

http://www.sworcare.com/beauty_skincare.htm

I started using this for PMS although I am getting close to menopause/perimenopause. I use it for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. My PMS is almost gone. I am a lot less bloated, less irritable, and my hot flashes are just about gone. I noticed this month I did not even get the sweets craving that I always get which was pretty amazing. I use the Emerita brand.